Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London to Warwick..train or car or both (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-to-warwick-train-or-car-or-both-197790/)

Ken Apr 11th, 2002 06:33 PM

London to Warwick..train or car or both

Hi,<BR><BR>We are going to London in October and would like some suggestions on how to get to Warwick Castle from London. Should we take the train all the way or take a train to a certain station and than pick up a rental car? We have drove in the U.K. for two weeks before so feel that this wouldn't be a problem. Any suggestions would be helpful.<BR>Thanks<BR>

xxx3 Apr 11th, 2002 06:37 PM

The nearest train station is a ten or 15 minute walk from the castle, no need for a rental car. But there is also a bus that stops right outside the castle; IIRC, their web site has details.

kitty Apr 12th, 2002 04:22 AM

We took the train last summer and had no problems at all. We ate a very good lunch at a pub on the way to the castle and spent the afternoon at the castle. Easy walk and easy train trip. Highly recommend.

Jay Apr 12th, 2002 08:19 AM

I am also considering a visit to Warwick Castle during a business trip that has me staying in Wolverhampton for a week. The train trip is apparently less than 90 minutes, and I was planning on leaving Wolverhampton around 8AM and departing Warwick around 8PM. I have 2 questions if I may ...<BR><BR>Is this too much time for he castle and city? What might the gardens be like in mid-May? What restaurants would you recommend for dinner?<BR><BR>Thanks for the input.

ron Apr 12th, 2002 09:08 AM

Jay, I would think you would have no trouble filling the day with the Castle and grounds, St Mary's Church (in Simon Jenkins' book, England's Top 1000 churches, St Mary's is one of about 20 with a 5 star rating) and Lord Leycester's Hospital. If these don't fill your time, Kenilworth Castle is about 6 miles away. If the weather is nasty, there are some museums I know nothing about and lots of antique shoppes. <BR><BR>I know the gardens were lovely in October; I can't imagine they would be unlovely in May.<BR><BR>Can't help you with fine dining; I only ate in pubs in the four days I spent there.<BR>

Ani Apr 12th, 2002 09:11 AM

If you have the time and like castle ruins DEFINATELY go to Kenilworth also...I enjoyed it sooo much more than the touristy, theme park experience we had at Warwick.

Jay Apr 15th, 2002 06:03 AM

Is it feasible to attempt Kenilworth and Warwick on the same day and, if so, what makes the most sense in terms of transportation? Taxi?

ron Apr 15th, 2002 06:11 AM

I probably depends on your energy level. Buses run once an hour and take about 25 minutes, I think. Taxi would not be expensive if the bus schedule did not fit.

xxx Apr 17th, 2002 05:53 AM

Yes, we went to both Kenilworth and Warwick on the same day and did not feel that we short-changed ourselves at either location.