London to Strattford on Avon

Sep 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

London to Strattford on Avon

Will be in London and wonder how far it is via train to visit Shakespear land? Does it need an overnight? If so any recommendations for B & B
Sep 21st, 2010, 04:32 PM

You make it sound like a visit to DisneyWorld.

Why are you going? to see a play (major reason IMHO) - and what it playing when you would be there? Is it something you want to see?

There are some related buildings in the town that you can explore. If you don;t want to see a play or have anything in particular you want to see/do - I would conisder one of the bus day trips from London which make it easier to see Anne Hathaway's cottage.
Sep 21st, 2010, 07:39 PM

Yes, you can do it by train. Details at www.raileasy.co.uk

I input a random date of Fri. Oct. 22 and I see trains leaving London Marylebone at
06:50 (arr. Stratford-upon-Avon at 09:08)
07:02 (arr. 10:21)
09:17 (arr. 11.19)
10:45 (arr. 13:14)

Returns lvg at
17:40 (arr. 19:42)
17:58 (arr. 21:15)
18:25 (arr. 21:55)
19:48 (arr. 22:14)

Now I'm not sure that Marylebone is the best station for that - you'll soon find out when you get there and ask, or do a bit more looking up ahead of time, or somebody here who knows what they're talking about can tell you.

I never took the train, I went with private every time, so I have not researched how close the station in Stratford is to where you want to be, but that should not be hard to find with Google and Google Maps and such tools.

Quite likely, as nytraveler mentioned, you will find coach tours that do this trip effortlessly in a day and bring you back. Your hotel or any travel agency should be able to advise you on that when you get to London.

This is the main website for Stratford: www.stratford-upon-avon.co.uk/

Hope this helps.
Sep 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM

I did a day tour to Oxford and Stratford Upon Avon with Evan Evans Tours - I thought it was well priced and a great day. I booked it online before my departure. I would recommend them.
Sep 21st, 2010, 10:37 PM

Train tickets are best booked several weeks in advance when the cheap tickets become available. Some UK websites that sell them, don't add charges on and can be used by non-UK card holders are firstscotrail.com crosscountry.co.uk eastcoast.co.uk

Note that there is Stratford and Stratford-upon-Avon. You need the latter as Stratford is in London. Marylebone is the only station that offers direct trains so you'd have to use it regardless of where you are staying
Sep 22nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Will be going because I am taking my grand daughter as a graduation present and she really enjoys Shakespear so thanks all for the suggestions....Probably will do the day tour. Will look up tours on line as Oxford was also on my list of things for her to see......
Sep 22nd, 2010, 04:45 PM

If she really loves Shakespeare I would book tickets to a play (I believe there is a very late train that will take you back to London that night).
Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:03 PM

And if she really likes Shakespeare you'll have to go to The Globe (www.shakespeares-globe.org) in London!
Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM

As far as I'm aware, no coach tours that include Oxford also include a play in Stratford.

It's possible to get a train or bus to Oxford, visit it till mid-afternoon, then travel to Statford in time for a play. There's a train back to London comfortably after most plays finish.

BUT: Transport between Oxford and Stratford is a bit slow: there are scarcely any weekday direct buses, and trains are infrequent and require connections. Perfectly painless connections, but they still add time - so the fastest journey between the two is about 100 minutes.

Now Oxford is one of Europe's great sights. The Royal Shakespeare Co in Stratford is one of Europe's greatest theatre companies. Stratford however, apart from the theatre, is arguably one of Europe's great disappointments. If you're interested in theatre, or drama, or just Shakespeare, you HAVE to see the RSC perform: the town itself is close to a tourist ripoff irrelevance.

So you have a choice. If you want to cram Oxford, Stratford and the RSC at Stratford into a day, you almost certainly have to organise it yourself - and the practicalities mean you either shortchange Oxford (insane!) or get the 1436 train from Oxford, which gets you into Stratford at 1612: probably time to do little more than look around and see my judgement of the place is right, before going off to see a decent play by a decent troupe.

OR, if you'd rather form your own judgement of Stratford's merits, you need to allow two days for this, either overnighting in the area (Oxford's much prettier for this, but generally pricier), or going back and forth to London (which sounds mad, but might suit your accommodation deal better). Driving (or being driven) doesn't solve the problem: getting into, and finding parking in, both Stratford and Oxford is difficult and time-consuming.

Incidentally, there are no advance purchase discounts on direct trains from London to Stratford. There ARE substantial advance discounts on some trains from London to Oxford.
Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:06 AM

What a wonderful gift for your granddaughter! I have gone to Stratford-upon-Avon by train -- not hard to do, though somewhat slow. You probably will want to take a taxi to your hotel or B&B (assuming you stay there). I can't remember exactly where the train station was in relation to the town, but I don't think it was very far. If you can schedule a couple of days there, you will probably enjoy it more. I am also a Shakespeare buff and have enjoyed seeing his home, Ann Hathaway's cottage, Holy Trinity church and the graveyard, Hall's Croft (his daughter Susanna's home)... and of course a play. Do treat your granddaughter to a play if they are performing Shakespeare that day. In addition to the large RSC (Royal Shakespeare Company) theatre, they have some smaller theatres which also offer good plays. The RSC has a website that details them. One nice thing about staying a few days is you get more of a feeling of how Stratford used to be. It's extremely touristy now, however at night when the day-trippers are gone, there is a certain magic to it.
Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips......We would most likely do an overnight