london to Scotland

Old Oct 19th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

london to Scotland

My daughter is getting married in Scotland next July. We are planning to go a week early and spend some time in London first. What is the best way to get to Eidenburgh from London...we were thinking about Britrail Pass, or a flight out of London. Thanks!
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 07:43 PM

either train or air...train will allow you to see quite a lot or you could drive in 2 leisurely days or one rushed day....
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 08:27 PM

Whatever you do, DON'T get a BritRail Pass - that is only useful (and even then not VERY useful) if you are taking many train trips. To just get to Edinburgh and maybe a couple of other rail journeys. just buy individual tickets.

there is no one BEST way to get to Scotland - depending on how much time you have to spare, your budget, etc.

The choices would be:

- Renting a car and driving. But unless you are used to driving in the UK don't try doing it in one day. Take a minimum of 2 or 3 days.

- The fast train - 4.5 hours from Kings Cross in London to the cebter of Edinburgh.

- The overnight sleeper train - from Euston station in London.

- Flying from, which can be the cheapest. Th eflight is only about 1 hour but it actually can take as long or longer than the train when you factor in getting to the airport and checking in ahead of time.

You can fly BA from LHR or LGW. BMI from LHR, or easyJet from LGW, Luton or Stansted. I think some line flies out of London City airport - but I'm not positive about that. An easy web search should locate that info for you.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 10:13 PM

To Janis.
What is a cost of round trip train
ticket London-Edinburgh ?
I would like to do that in june.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 01:15 AM

For info on train timetables and fares:
www.qjump.co.uk
or
www.thetrainline.com

For info on flights from London City (my favourite, but then I live nearby)
www.londoncityairport.com
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 01:33 PM

I just purchased round trip tickets for next month, Kings Cross - Edinburgh - Kings Cross yesterday. The lowest fare available was 72GPB for two people (36 each). This was traveling at off peak times. We are traveling both ways on Wednesdays and leaving at 10am.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 03:14 PM

Unless you just want to take a train ride for the experience, fly up to Edinburgh. We took the train and since we didn't make any stops to look at anything, I felt like it was a bit long and tedious. The train up was nice and no problem with the luggage, but the train back (different rail company) was dirty and crowded with little room for luggage.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 06:07 PM

Returned from London last week. Took the train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh for 36gbp and ordered tickets from my home here in the USA via Qjump and picked the tickets up at the station in London.
Train was relaxing clean and saw lots of scenery. Train would be my choice!!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate the tips for where to purchase in advance and an idea of ticket costs for budgeting purposes.
J!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 12:17 AM

My note at http://www.victorianresearch.org/hainesontrains.html gives detail on the night journey, useful to save travel time and a hotel bill.

[email protected]