London to Rome

Dec 4th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

London to Rome

Two of us will be traveing to the following cities: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Florence, Rome & Venice. What is the best way to get around? Most likely we will fly into London and then take the train to Paris, but from there should we rent a car or take a train? What would be most cost effective? Fastest?

Thanks for any advice.
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:05 PM

How long will you have on the trip? That's a lot of territory to cover.

We always have a car...I like the freedom it gives us to go places that trains don't go. But...if you're spending all of your time just in the cities...you really don't want a car, it would be more trouble and expense that it's worth.

Dec 4th, 2004, 10:15 PM

Here is one way to do it. Not the only way, but likely one of the cheapest ways. These are flights unless otherwise indicated.

London - Paris - BMI or EasyJet (one-hour flight, plus transit time to and from airports)
Paris - Amsterdam - Thalys train (four hours, I believe)
Amsterdam - Rome Virgin Express (not sure, but I think about a 2-hour flight, plus time to/from airports)
Rome - Florence Trenitalia train (90 minutes or so, depending on train selected)
Florence - Venice Trenitalia train (2 hours or so, depending on train selected)
If need be, Venice - London BMI, EasyJet, or Ryanair (2.5 hour flight, plus transit to/from airports)

Each of the flights would likely be about 50 - 100 Euros per person, when tax is considered. The Paris-Amsterdam train can be had for as low as 49 Euros, I believe. Each of the Italian routes will be in the range of 20-30 Euros, unless you get one of the special deals that the poster GAC frequently posts.
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:51 PM

As margyb says - that is a LOT of territory to cover in one vacation. How long is your trip? If it is less than 3 weeks it is really too much, and I wouldn't try this w/ less than a month.

Count on almost a full day transit between each city pair. No - the actual flying/train won't take all day on most of those routes. But when you factor in checking out of your hotel, getting to the airport (or station), advance check in, flight, getting into the city center from the airport, checking into your next hotel -- all of this pretty much chews up a whole day.

So just the transport on your proposed itinerary would fill the best part of 7 days (ncluding getting to and from Europe).

And, if you plan on driving - you can pretty much double that because you are spread all over Europe.
Dec 5th, 2004, 07:13 AM
rex

The advice from WillTravel is pretty good - - and I agree with others that this many destinations requires 18 days or more. Note that the final leg ought to be avoidded if possible - - that is. price an open jaw ticket (into London, back out of Italy), rather than "backtracking" to catch an ordinary roudtrip into/out of London.

An alternative to getting from London to the continent would be to fly from London to Venice on EasyJet (LGW) or BMI (LHR) - - you can find links for both of these on www.whichbudget.com

Then simply reverse all the suggestions to go VCE-FLR-ROM-AMS-PAR and fly home from Paris. May be cheaper than flying home from Italy.

Last of all, you should strongly consider removing one or more of these major cities, and add some smaller-torn or rural Europe in its place. You're missing fully half of Europe if you stay only in its major cities.

When will this trip occur? What steps are you raking to add immensely to the enjoyment of your trip by beginning to learn some French or Italian (or refresh)? Today would be a good day to start.

Best wishes,

Rex
Dec 5th, 2004, 07:41 AM

For two people, I think the most cost effective and fastest between train and car is train, if you can get rail saverpasses (two or more traveling together). That way you won't have to deal with the hassle of driving in major cities, finding (and paying for) parking, getting lost, paying for gas (a major investment), and losing significant amounts of time.

While a car gives you freedom, as Marcy said, and I'm all for that if I'm basing myself in one place, I'd be overloaded on "oh, let's stop in this quaint town" about every five minutes, and we'd never reach our destination!
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:00 AM

i did the flight from rome to london (luton). it only takes 70 minutes, but in hindsite i'd pay more to fly into heathrow next time. the time savings and easiness can't be beat. and def train to paris...so fast and easy.