Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London to Paris - other than plane or Eurostar

Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

I will be leaving on Saturday for London. My family of four will be staying in London until July 1 when we will be leaving for Paris. I originally wanted to take the Eurostar to Paris but because I have procrastinated booking the tickets until the last minute, the ticket prices listed on the Eurostar web site are very expensive. I am only interested in a one-way trip. i know that I can fly cheaper than this, but I want to avoid the airport. Any suggestions for other ways to travel from London to Paris?
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:35 PM

Someone else asked this quesiton recently - and one of the choices was a bus. But - I beliee it took like 14 hours or something (I know that doesn;t sound right - but the answer struck we as odd at the time).

Have you looked at the Eurostar roundtrip tickets which are often cheaper? (You just throw away the return half.) Also - they sometimes have family packages - I would do a heavy duty search on the site again before giving up.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM

Back in the pre-discount airline days (which happened to coincide with my budget traveling days), I would take the train from London to Dover, the ferry from Dover to Calais, and the train from Calais to Paris. I have done it many times and never thought twice about it.

However, now that flying is as inexpensive and easy as it is, I would not even consider going this long, tedious route again.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:04 PM

We did the Dover/Calais/Paris route a few years ago and considered the whole trip just part of the adventure.

Also, taking time to visit the museum in the cliffs at Dover Castle is well worthwhile!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:06 PM

I wanted to cross the English Channel the hard way and did. We took a train to Portsmouth the an overnight ferry to Le Havre then you can take a train. This involves probably three taxis as well. It saved a nights hotel and we had a little room. Try the P and O Ferry web site. YOu can buy tickets directly on it. I remember we had a very little room and got about 5 or 6 hours sleep. Eurostar is better. You can probably get a ticket in London.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:12 PM

Since you're going from London to Paris on a Friday, aren't there some great weekend package round trips on Eurostar? Again, you need to check out special round trips and throw away the return portions. It is BY FAR the best way to make the trip.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:20 PM

I also went on line and see that for July 1 you can do a return ticket for 59 pounds each. Maybe less, by trying other return dates; I just plugged in for a July 3 return.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:54 AM
ira

Hi road,

If you can go on Saturday, July 2, you can still get one-day RT tickets for only 109GBP, about 50GBP less than a one-way on Friday.

See www.eurostar.com

Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:11 AM

I wonder if it would help if we knew what the original poster considered to be "expensive" and if that "expense" involves only money or both money AND time.

I would agree with Patrick (with an admitted bias toward rail) that going city-center to city-center vis Eurostar seems like the best all-around option unless you really would enjoy a combination rail and ferry trip or bus and ferry trip.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:50 AM

Don't take the bus, especially with kids. We did it without kids 2 years ago and an 8 hour trip ended up being 12 hours and they didn't want anyone to use the bathroom unless it was an emergency.