Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   london to paris less than GBP 20 pp. thru easyjet...is that real? should I be worried? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-to-paris-less-than-gbp-20-pp-thru-easyjet-is-that-real-should-i-be-worried-230646/)

jughead Jun 12th, 2002 07:55 PM

london to paris less than GBP 20 pp. thru easyjet...is that real? should I be worried?

i can't beleive that easyjet can offer such low prices. has anyone had good or bad stories about them?

Tony Jun 12th, 2002 09:01 PM

Their internet fares are real, and their planes are good, with the usual proviso that leg room is limited.<BR>The drawbacks are that if you are connecting and miss your flight for any reason, you lose your money. If you are late for their stipulated check in time, you will not be allowed to board, but usually your ticket will be honoured on the next available flight.

Nancy Jun 12th, 2002 10:23 PM

TONY: I read your post regarding Easyjet... do you feel as comfortable with Ryanair?

mel Jun 13th, 2002 12:58 AM

The four major budget airlines flying out of the UK -- Ryanair, Easyjet, Go (just bought by Easyjet) and Buzz all have good reputations. The fares are real. I've flown with Ryan, Go and Buzz and know of many who have flown with Easy, and no complaints. <BR><BR>The main drawbacks are that:<BR>1. You may not be able to choose a seat at check-in. With Buzz and Go you DO get to choose "aisle or window", but with Ryanair you don't. You just sit yourself down in a seat that takes your fancy once you've got onto the plane. I have a feeling that Easyjet goes in for this practice too...<BR>2. The budget airlines tend not to fly from/to the major airports. With Easyjet your "London" airport may actually be Luton airport. Not sure how easy it is to get to Luton from London (there's probably a train)<BR><BR>But in the main, for &pound;20 to Paris you can't complain!<BR><BR>Mel.

Nigel Doran Jun 13th, 2002 01:04 AM

easyJet (their orthography, not mine) is a good airline. It has helped revolutionise air travel in the U K and Europe. <BR>Luton is a fair way from London. You can get a coach for about &pound;12 return (roundtrip) or you can go via the train. It goes to Luton Parkway and from there you get a shuttle to the airport about 1 mile away. Pack light, as you will land in an airport a few miles from the centre of Paris. Go to the website for easyJet to find out more about transport to the airports. <BR>These are lead-in fares. If you book late and for weekend flights, you wil pay dearly.

kavey Jun 13th, 2002 01:17 AM

jughesd<BR>no you don't need to worry.<BR>easyjet is one of the four UK budget airlines (though Go has just been bought by Easy) and all are fine.<BR>The low fares you sometimes see on Easyjet are usually only available for less popular times or for early bookings, or very occasionally, for late bookings when a flight hasn't sold well. <BR>In my experience I see a low fare, have to check whether partner and friends can make it, and by the time I go back that fare has doubled.<BR>Easyjet flies predominantly from Luton, though I think they now have slots from Gatwick too.<BR>Go flies from Stansted, can't remember for the other two.<BR>Easy has no seat allocation. When you check in you are given a numbered boarding card, these are given out in the order you check in.<BR>When the plane is boarded those holding cards numbered 1 to 30, say, are invited to board and then the next group and so on. The idea is the earlier you check in the earlier you can get onto the plane and choose your seat.<BR>They will reserve the front extra legroom seats for passengers with mobility problems, I think you have to arrange in advance, as this was done on the last flight I took with them last week.<BR>Food and drinks are sold on flight, at fairly regular prices or just visit the shop in the airport and grab a sandwich or crisps or whatever.<BR>Hope this helps<BR>Kavey

Suzy Jun 13th, 2002 01:28 AM

One additional caveat: Ryanair (at least) has VERY strict weight limitations for both checked and carryon luggage, and very high fees for each overweight pound/kilo. I suspect that it's a major revenue source to compensate for the low fares!

Gareth Jun 13th, 2002 04:07 AM

Believe it! We in the UK have been spoilt with very cheap flights for some time now with these budget carriers. If you dont mind the few conditions then its cheaper than getting a train in the UK. I have got flights to Dublin for &pound;8 pounds, my friends went to Italy for &pound;1.50 (not inc Taxes)and I am going to Verona for &pound;20 return next month. Take advantage!

jughead Jun 13th, 2002 05:27 PM

wow, thanx all, still hard to beleive it but nice to see so many good reports.<BR><BR>One question though, I suppose I have to book it online since I am from Aussie. Am I correct in assuming that if I wait to book it a week ahead (when I first get into london) that it'll be more expensive OR sold out?

Tony Jun 13th, 2002 06:50 PM

Yes you are. The earlier you book the cheaper the seats, and the greater the choice of flights. Just like Virgin Blue and Qantas now are.<BR>Remember though - miss your flight and do your dough.

lisa Jun 13th, 2002 07:10 PM

We flew from Gatwick to Amsterdam in March on Easyjet for the same price you are being quoted. I could not believe it at first, either. We had no problems. Just be at the airport to check in at least 1 hour in advance, maybe more. And, check the lines, occasionally, to see if a line is forming for your flight. It was not announced, and seating is first come first serve. I think we were assigned seats, actually, once they started checking us in. We flew from Gatwick but Easyjet flies from other locations as well, like Manchester, as well as Luton.

aaron Jun 13th, 2002 08:20 PM

i flew easyjet after a connecting flight from home in california to london. transfered by train from gatwick to luton and the flight to athens was great. i paid around 70 pounds return when british air and others wanted $600 plus!! i would highly recommend easyjet!!