Search

London to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London to Paris

Husband and I are traveling to London for 3 nights and then to Paris for 3 nights on our way back from a worldwide family reunion in Ireland for a week. Have been totally overwhelmed by the information about hotel rooms and B&B's on this site but am looking for something in London that is near Paddington around $100 US per night or less. First time in London and will be doing all the "touristy" stuff. Lots of walking and taking the tube. We will be taking the train to Paris and I also would like some guidance on where to stay there. I have a better feel for London than I do for Paris. Totally lost there. First time there also and doing just the tourist stuff, Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Louvre, Notre Dame, etc. Again, something for $100 a night would be great. Something clean, a soft bed, a shower that works, AC and a lift if its over the second floor up. Hope I'm not asking for too much. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Our trip is not until August, so I have plenty of time to agonize over this.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
P_M

You are indeed asking a lot for $100/night. You might want to check out biddingfortravel.com and later make a Priceline bid on a 4* or 5* hotel. I'm reasonably sure most hotels in that catagory will have A/C and all of your other requirements, especially if you go for 5*. Otherwise I think you'll be very hard-pressed to get all you want for only $100/night.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:07 AM

I stayed at the Cherry Court Hotel in the Victoria Station area of London -- central to Westminster and the Tube. We paid $52 British Pounds, which is close to $100/night. The rooms are small, but clean and have their own bath.

I'd also get a good guidebook (like Rick Steves) for Paris, since you're less familiar. In it he has a number of great hotel suggestions. I've stayed at two so far, both in the 7th, and both around $100 USD a night. I enjoyed the Hotel du Champ de Mars, and the Grand Hotel Leveque. Both are popular because of Rick STeves, so I'd book now if you can.

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:10 AM
P_M

Jules, does that hotel have A/C, as the OP requested? Budget hotels in London rarely do.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks jules4je7 for your recommendations. I'll check them out and add them to my possibilities list.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:15 PM

My wife and I did a similar trip 10 years ago including the train (7 days in London - 3 in Paris). Great trip. I’ll let the London experts answer your London questions.

In Paris - we stayed at a very nice small Hotel right off the Champs Elysees, just down the street from the Arc de Triomphe (on one of the less busy side streets that run out from the rotary around the Arc). What a great area. Fairly short walk to the Metro as I recall - so easy to get around the rest of Paris from there. We did take a taxi from Guard de Nord to the hotel – I think mainly because we had all our bags and felt it would be easier. The rest of the time was all on the Metro. Walking back at dusk (10pm believe it or not) and seeing the Arc just starting to being illuminated by its lights, . . . how cool.

It was nice to be in a hotel near the Champs Elysees. The restaurants and shops on the Champs Elysees all had English menus or speak a bit of English. Going the other way down the side streets - there are a lot of Bistros - French speaking only. One of my favorite travel memories is from one of those Bistros. My wife spoke a bit of French – got us in, and to a table for two. We had the French de-coder book with us, . . . decoded the menu best we could. I ordered something that could be prepared with either chicken or beef, . . . called Carpaccio (not in the decoder book). We focused on the chix/beef part, . . . if chicken was an option, it had to be cooked – right. Wrong. Little did I know at the time what Carpaccio was (I do now!). Funny thing was – the waiter came by when I was finished and tried to ask how the Carpaccio was – I thought he was asking if we wanted Cappuccino. Oh – what fond memories.

Anyway, I look the Hotel up on Expedia to try to remember the name and found it. It costs more than you were looking for – but its name is the Elysees Ceramic Hotel. Meets all your criteria except price. We really like this hotel – and we were on a tight budget that year. I’m sure there are a lot of options, . . . and this was 10 years ago, . . . but both my wife and I still remember this hotel! We can not say that about all our vacations.

Hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:22 PM

Please take the advice re Priceline and London. I think for $100 you will have absolutely no trouble with a 4*. Re Paris..the AC can be a problem on your budget in central Paris..
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:23 PM
ira

Hi Kb,

It is not centrally located, but it is near a metro stop, is within your budget and has been recommended on this forum, http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75012lux.htm

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:15 PM

I just made a reservation at the Hotel Lyon Bastille for 3 nights in June. They're running a special for a 3-night package at 95 euros per night for a double. It has AC and is very close to the Gare de Lyon. Several people on this forum had mentioned it. Their web site is www.bastille-paris-hotel.com.