Search

London to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London to Paris

Hi all! First time poster here!! I love all your comments and suggestions. My head sometimes swells from you have to offer! Question is this ....hubby and I are planning our first trip to Europe. We're starting in London and would like to finish in Paris. What is the best way (husband is terrified of the tunnel!) to get there? Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:06 AM

There really is only one way – the Eurostar. It is possible to fly – but you’d have to be a bit touched to do it.

The tunnel part of the trip is not at all scary – it only lasts 20 mins and isn’t claustrophobic – I would think the tube system would be more scary.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:15 AM

I too agree that the Eurostar is by far and away the most desirable, convenient option, but there are tons of bargain-basement flights between London-area airports and Paris.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:19 AM

I would agree that the Eurostar is easier. While there are plenty of cheap flights, then you have to deal with getting to the airport from London, then from Charles de Gaulle into Paris.

We took the Eurostar last fall, and I was a bit apprehensive myself. However, the tunnel part is only 20 min. long, and very anticlimatic. The entrance to the tunnel, even, isn't real obvious. There are several tunnels at that point, and because you're closer to the highway, and other stuff aboveground, you really can't see much. Most reassuring to me, you can't see the ocean (as I remember, anyway), so it's not like you feel like the train is going to plunge into the water!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:05 AM
ira

Hi S,

If DH is claustrophobic, check out www.whichbudget.com fr cheap flights.

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Take an evening train and you'll never know when you're in the tunnel and when you're not.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:49 AM

BMI was very easy and cheap. It worked out very well for our schedules and locations. It was extremely easy to get from CDG to our hotel - we just took the Air France bus right to the door.

http://www.flybmi.com
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want to get city center to city center the Eurostar really can't be beat.

Many first timers visualize being on a train, tooling along right up to the English Channel, then diving under water in a tunnel. That <u>would</u> be scary. But that isn't the way it is at all. The tracks start gradually going underground quite a way inland - you will not even see the Channel or have any sense of being under water.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Fears are real so I won't downplay them. However, David West's comparing the tunnel to a tube ride reminded me of my son's mother-in-law. She lives in London and takes the tube every day. No problem. But until two years ago she had never dared take the Eurostar to Paris. When she did, she said it was delightful and she now would never go to Paris any other way.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Quite frankly... I was disappointed...expected more of an &quot;experience&quot;. Turned out to be just another train ride (tho terribly convenient!!) If your budget allows, go first class. Between drinking and eating your spouse won't notice much else.