London to Inverness flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're touring London before starting our golf voyage in Scotland in June. Our first stop in Scotland is Dornoch.

It appears the best place to fly into is Inverness. British Midland Airways has very cheap airfare to Aberdeen, but they don't seem to fly from London to Inverness. Are there any other airlines besides British Airways to check?

British Airways seems to have an $87 (before massive taxes) round trip, but we only need one way.

Other questions:

Closest airport to St. Andrews? Or is there a better way to get there from the Highlands?

What's the best way to hire a car at Inverness and wherever we fly to for St. Andrews?

Any thoughts on which courses to play in and around Ayrshire or Glasgow? Might be hard to get on Troon with the Open in July.

Thanks for any help! Feels like we've done a ton of planning and still haven't made a dent!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:25 AM

If you play golf the BA fare which seems reasonable as it stands should not be a problem to you. Depending on your handicap there are lots of the most historic courses: The Old Course, Gleneagles etc. Hire a car with a big boot for your clubs, and plenty of umbrellas for the "2nd most popular summer holiday destination after siberia". Stay at any Leading Hotel or the Westin, you won't be disappointed!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Easyjet.com shows June flights Gatwick direct to Inverness for 17 pounds or from Luton as low as 7 pounds.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:59 AM

You will LOVE Royal Dornoch. I have taken several friends on golfing holidays and almost every one of them rated Dornoch as their favorite golf experience in Scotland (or just about anywhere for that matter) even better than Carnoustie, the Old Course, etc. If you get to Dornoch the day before your round(s) you can walk the course late since it will be daylight until after 11PM

EasyJet flies to I'ness from both Gatwick and Luton. You could also take the train to I'ness?

The drive from Inverness to St Andrews is so lovely you should probably drive. But if flying is your thing, LoganAir flies from I'ness to Edinburgh. However, for your itinerary I'd just stick to driving. Fly or train to Inverness, pick up a reantal car and then drop the car off at Glasgow or Edinburgh - whichever one you are flying out of.

In ayrshire be absolutely sure to play Prestwick. Most of my friends actually like it more than Troon (tho' they also enjoyed Troon). Near Glasgow you can try to get on Loch Lomond but that will probably be difficult.

And be sure to play some of the smaller less "famous" courses you will find all over. They are mostly inexpensive and offer really wonderful golf experiences.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great tips! Easyjet looks good.

Anybody have any more info or advice on renting a car? Any companies I should go with or avoid? I think we'll take your advice about driving, so we'll need it for about 9 days in June, picking up at Inverness and dropping off at Edinburgh.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Technically the closest airport to st Andrews is Dundee but......

Edinburgh's not far away

Don't fly; drive south. see the country on the way and if you really want, play golf in it.

Troon, Turnberry, Prestwick, Western Gailes, Hagg?s Castle area few of the Glasgow ish courses.

I helped three lads organise a round Scotland golf trip a couple of years ago. If you email me, I'll send you a note of what they did, and their comments on how it worked out.