Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London to Edinburgh on Bank Holiday from Highclere?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Highclere Castle on the morning of Sunday, May 5 and need to make our way to Edinburgh after that. I know this is a major bank holiday and the train schedules can be limited during this time. This made me consider flying. Does anyone have any insight as to what my best options might be?

Thank you for any information you can provide.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 05:28 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would fly. Heathrow isn't very far from Highclere, and flights to EDI on the 5th are as cheap as £30 one way. (Substantial) cost savings notwithstanding, even with security at the airport, you'd be on your second pint in an Edinburgh pub by the time the train is stopping in York.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 08:06 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Will you have a car to turn in or are you on a tour to Highclere?

In either case really, I agree with Gardyloo. From the Highclere area flying is just about the only thing that makes sense. Newbury to Edinburgh by train will take between 6+ and 8+ hours with 2 or 3 changes and most service would have you crossing London by tube.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 11:09 AM

I totally agree with Janis and Gardyloo which isn’t unusual.

Our train system is butchered on Bank Holiday weekends. The rolling stock and infrastructure are undergoing long term development and the operators approach has been for years to undertake the work at the weekends6g and Bank Holidays. In that way commuter travellers are least inconvenienced.

It’s impossible to predict but at short notice this journey may be subject to huge delays or be replaced by bus services.

in terms of road travel, if there is good whether the area between Birmingham/Manchester and around Lancaster may be busy. The area north of a Lancaster is very rarely busy with traffic going North. It will probably take 7 hours without breaks.

Air : Heathrow to Edinburgh takes an hour and a half even with a conservative 90 minutes pre check in that’s 3 hours.

Using Skyscanners Flybe and BA are offering a number of flights for between £30 to £40 one way.

Easy.

just fly.

Last edited by BritishCaicos; Jan 4th, 2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 11:10 AM

Ps the BA prices may include checked in hold baggage. Not sure.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I have a feeling this isn't going to work out as I had planned. We don't have a car and I was planning on taking the train to Highclere. Given the disruption because of the holiday, sounds like this might not work out. Contemplated a private driver from Highclere to the airport (probably Gatwick) but not sure I want to pay the price...and I still have to figure out how to get to Highclere on time.

I have the option to stay the night of the 5th in London, although that will cut our time in Edinburgh by a day....
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The train only goes to Newbury, you still need to get to Highclere and taxis are likely to be pricier on a Sunday/bank holiday. And what were you going to do with your luggage?
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 06:09 AM

Your plan is unreasonable -- not just because of the train only going as far as Newbury. Why Gatwick? LHR is much closer (like nearly an hour). Especially to T-5 where most BA flights depart.

If Highclere and traveling to Edinburgh are important - rent a car for the day. Collect it at LHR, drive to Highclere, return to LHR in the late afternoon, fly up to EDI. Not at all complicated.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by BritishCaicos
Ps the BA prices may include checked in hold baggage. Not sure.
It does not include luggage. If you use Skyscanner, there is no option to say you want luggage, you only get that once you land on the website where you are going to book.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 01:54 PM

>>It does not include luggage. <<

Hold baggage or not is the absolute least of the OP's issues . . . (Unless one books a 'Hand Baggage Only' ticket, BA doesn't charge for the first checked bag)