Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London to Brussels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-to-brussels-538579/)

MollyinHali Jun 22nd, 2005 03:21 AM

London to Brussels

Looking for the best/cheapest way to get from London to Brussels, have been checking around on the internet without much success. Any suggestions?

Kate_W Jun 22nd, 2005 05:13 AM

I'm not sure how cheap it's going to be, but the Eurostar is a very easy way to make the trip, since it takes you from central London to the centre of Brussels. I only ever did the trip for business (in business class), but I expect that they've got cheap fares as they do for Paris. If you do find some flights (check the destination maps for Ryanair, Easyjet etc and then try opodo.com for regular airlines), don't forget to factor in the cost of the transportation to and from the airports into your train/plane comparison (especially since the discount airlines don't necessarily fly into the closest airport to the city centre). I'll be the Eurostar is cheaper.

ira Jun 22nd, 2005 05:35 AM

Hi M,

You can fly LHR to BRU on BMI. See www.whichbudget.com

((I))

BTilke Jun 22nd, 2005 05:59 AM

My husband travels between London and Brussels at least twice a week

Robespierre Jun 22nd, 2005 06:03 AM

On foot? Oxcart? Is the train faster than flying (considering transfers and checkin/security)?

More information, please.

BTilke Jun 22nd, 2005 06:06 AM

I don't why this posted before I was finished...anyway, I go to Brussels about once a month. We find Eurostar the most convenient and cheapest in the long run. When you fly, you are at a somewhat greater risk of delays from weather problems or other reasons.
The cheapest way to get into Brussels is by the airport train UNLESS you need to go to the EU area or Luxembourg train station area...then the number 12 bus is cheaper (3 euros). The bus is designed for travelers with plenty of space for luggage. I actually prefer taking the bus in as it's a more scenic route than the train...you pass NATO headquarters and go through a nice residential area and past some of the more notable EU buildings. The ride takes about the same time as the train from the airport into town. There are bus and taxi stands by the EU (Rond Point Schumann) and Luxembourg stops (Schumann is also served by the number 1 metro line).
Look for the cheapest round trip specials on Eurostar even if you're only going one way. They are usually cheaper than one-way fares. You can throw away the return portion.

PalQ Jun 22nd, 2005 06:25 AM

cheapest Eurostar tickets $90 one way or round trip still $90 - trains between 11am and 3pm Mon-Thu otherwise price goes up to $120 any train Mon-thu or $150 any train any day - subject to availability. These are prices thru RailEurope in US (Seniors 60 plus $90 one way any train; youths $45-60-75 depending on time frame. Check www.eurostar.co.uk for prices in pounds; many are higher but on weekends can be cheaper - otherwise RailEurope's are a bargain right now - i go thru BETS (800-441-9413) and highly recommend them and their expertise with Eurostar.

GeoffHamer Jun 22nd, 2005 06:53 AM

The train takes about two and a quarter hours, so will almost always be faster than flying as well as so much easier. Eurostar's fares are priced like the airlines' but I can't imagine why anybody would want to fly for a journey like this.

MaureenB Jun 22nd, 2005 07:20 AM

We recently took EuroStar from London to Paris via Brussels. I couldn't believe how quickly we were in Brussels. Definitely recommend the train vs. flying for convenience.

Robespierre Jun 22nd, 2005 10:08 AM

I'm looking at the Eurostar timetables at

<b>http://www.eurostar.com/dctm/timetables/timetables_130205_english.html</b>

...and I don't see any trains that go through Brussels to Paris. Was that a special deal of some kind? It's an intriguing prospect if they allow stopovers.

MaureenB Jun 22nd, 2005 07:34 PM

Robespierre, I'm an idiot-- we went from Paris to Amsterdam via Brussels, not London to Paris-- dunh! Sorry, I plead temporary insanity.