Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London to Amsterdam by air questions - city jet?

Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've decided flying is the best way to get from London to Amsterdam.

We looked at the ferry/train combo, but I can get seasick in the bathtub, so that's not a good option, as charming as it might be....

I looked online and found a fare of 117 gbp for 2, one way. It seems like a fair price - but I have no experience with this, so I'm not sure.

Would this be something we should book now (travel first week of October), or is there any advantage to booking once we get to London? We're not flexible with dates.

Also, leaving from London City Centre, (staying near Sloane) and I cannot find anything about how early we need to get to the airport. I've emailed them, but haven't had a reply.

We'll have one suitcase and two carry-on's. It appears we can check one bag, but I'm hoping I'm not missing the "fine print" that can so often offer a nasty surprise.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM

Hello

I got my BA airticket for 75 gbp (1 person) from Amsterdam to London last month.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 01:15 PM
yk

Your Qs are answered on City Jet's FAQ page

http://www.cityjet.com/faqs/index.shtml#Q2

http://www.cityjet.com/faqs/index.shtml#Q5
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 01:17 PM

EasyJet typically has very good rates. We recently booked a flight with them for our flight from London to Amsterdam. They suggest arriving to the airport 2 hours ahead. Also, their check-in desks close 40 minutes before the flight leaves. Hope this helps!
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM

Easyjet fly from Gatwick, Luton and Stansted to Amsterdam and in the first week of October have flights from £35 per person all-in, including one check-in luggage.
www.easyjet.com
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

That's all great information, thanks so much. I took a look at easyjet, and it's very reasonable.

If we choose an early morning flight, what's the best airport, practically, to get to from Sloane, where it appears we'll be staying.

By practically, I mean ease of getting to the airport, and ease of getting through the airport.

We're coming from Toronto's Pearson, which is an absolute bloody nightmare at the best of times, huge, no end of walking and slow, tortuous lines for everything, including the bathrooms. I'd like to avoid that going from London to Amsterdam, if at all possible After all, I don't mind stressing out getting to my vacation, or coming home from vacation, but not while I'm actually ON my holiday!
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 07:26 PM
hsv

1. It is Sloane Square, Sloane Avenue or Sloane Street, but not "Sloane".

2. If you opt for easyjet, LHR would be the most convenient airport for you. LCY can be reached in about the same time (45 min, maybe slightly more), but the arguably best connection (Circle/District Line to Westminster, Jubilee Line to Canning Town, DLR to LCY) requires at least 1 more change, depending on whether you'd depart from Sloane Square (for Sloane Square or Sloane St. locations) or South Kensington (for Sloane Avenue locations) to LHR.

3. If you decide on easyjet and have a choice between LGW, STN or LTN, I'd go for LGW. You could take either take the bus (e.g. 11 or 170) or the tube (Circle/District Line) to Victoria, then one of the trains to LGW. That's less of a hassle then the STN or LTN bound busses from Victoria Coach Station and will likely save you some time.

4. Be aware that easyjet are serious about their check-in cut-off times and luggage regulations. This is a no-frills carrier and strict rules are part of the "price you pay".
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 11:23 PM

"If you opt for easyjet, LHR would be the most convenient airport for you."

????

EasyJet uses Heathrow? Governments will stop taxing people sooner.Death will be abolished permanently. Journalists will behave ethically.

I'm sure your finger slipped. But the poster would be helped if you told him what you meant to say.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 11:37 PM

I think he meant CityJet
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 12:18 AM
hsv

sorry. bad time to post. Easyjet does not fly out of LHR and my finger did slip.

I meant: If one stays in the Sloane Square area, LHR arguably would be the most convenient airport as it can easily be reached by the Piccadilly Line from South Kensington or Knightsbridge Stations. If the journey starts in Sloane Square proper, one change on the tube would be required or a quick bus ride up to Knightsbridge, e.g. on the 19 or 22 lines.
The second option for me would be LCY as it, too, can be reached in about the same time, albeit it implies another change as outlined above. The trip via the District Line to Bank or Tower Hill and onwards on the DLR is even more cumbersome in my experience.

Cityjet to my knowledge only flies into and out of LCY.

Easyjet options generally are limited to LGW, STN and LTN - and I did not check if they fly to AMS from each of them.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 04:34 AM

A few thoughts:

1) To my mind, flying is the best choice between London and Amsterdam.

2) You can fly from several airports in and around London - Heathrow (BA & KLM), Gatwick (BA & EasyJet), London City (BA & CityJet), Luton (EasyJet), and Stansted (EasyJet).

As noted, Heathrow would be the easiest airport to reach, London City would be second-best, Gatwick would follow, and the rest are not worth considering, IMO.

If you want to minimize the airport hassles, then London City is the best option, by far. IIRC, both BA and CityJet let you check in as late as 15 minutes before departure, if you have carry-on only/30 minutes with checked bags. I'd say that 45 minutes before would be plenty of time, even with checked bags. The place is tiny, and you walk across the tarmac to the plane, which will be a small plane.

As for when to buy... There is likely no benefit to buying in London. If the price is right and your dates are firmly fixed, then I would not hesitate to buy today.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 04:48 AM

Markland, have you booked your flights out of YYZ? I've been flying out of Buffalo and getting better flight prices.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Well, our apartment at Sloane tube just fell through, so we're likely going to be at Russell Sq tube instead, if that makes a difference to which airport we use to get to Amsterdam.

Michel, I did book our flights already. I got 2 tickets for around $650 each, which falls well into my "reasonable" rate, although the prices dropped by $50 each in the last couple of days, soon after I bought. Tough luck. What do you pay to go from Buffalo? It might be worth considering for next time.

I so appreciate the advice. Is it the same with the new location?
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 05:17 AM

I've booked flight-hotel packages via Expedia/Travelocity for London and Paris out of BUF. I also tend to use Buffalo for any USA flights (Florida for example).

I did a comparison between YYZ and BUF and found there was about a $100-$150 difference. And...smaller airport, easier parking, and lines are minuscule.

Russell Sq. area is a good choice, I've always stayed there on any London trips.