Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London to Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-to-amsterdam-119251/)

Dianne Apr 19th, 2001 02:27 PM

London to Amsterdam

I will be in London for 13 days starting May24th. Sometime during my stay, my friend and I would like to take a side trip to Amsterdam for 2 nights. I thought that we would take the train, and book the hotel separately. However, I have heard that there are some great deals from England that include transportation and hotel all in one price. Does anyone know of a good company that does this?

frank Apr 20th, 2001 02:50 AM

Accom can be hard to find in A'dam, book in advance.Transport & accom deals usually save money. <BR>You can fly from London VERY cheaply. <BR>(try ryanair, easyjet, book on net)Try the Hotel Doelen. <BR>Consider booking hotel by phone/net from USA using a guidebook. (book SOON) <BR>

Jane Apr 21st, 2001 01:42 AM

You could try the following: <BR>www.enroute.co.uk <BR>www.harris-travel.com <BR>www.allseasonstours.co.uk <BR>www.away-breaks.co.uk <BR>www.euroencounters.com. <BR> <BR>I only have experience with European Encounters (last one), we did a rugby trip to Paris with them, long bus ride, nice hotel but a long way from the centre, although the bus took us in and out every day. You can often get weekends with flights to Amsterdam which is a better idea than to go on the bus. <BR>Your best bet is probably KLM, the Dutch airline which has a lot of direct flights in and out of Stansted. <BR> <BR>For airfares try: <BR>www.justtheticket.com <BR>www.e-bookers.com <BR>For accommodation you could try: <BR>www.hostels-europe.com, it doesn't just have hostels but smaller hotels as well and its a good site for finding out about the hotels (but book with the hotels directly, its really hard to book on the site). <BR> <BR>Be aware that the last weekend in May is a Bank holiday over here, so don't try to book anything for the weekend 26-28 May. You'd be lucky to get anything now for a start, and prices go way up. <BR> <BR>I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, this is for what I'd call a budget trip (up to £30pppnight for accommodation, flights up to £120 rtn pp is about what I'd be expecting to pay). <BR> <BR>Hope this helps anyway. <BR> <BR>Jane

Jane Apr 21st, 2001 01:53 AM

OK sorry I'm useless! <BR>www.justtheticket.co.uk

Sjoerd Apr 21st, 2001 05:20 AM

Don't take the train. Expensive and slow. Cheapest is by coach, quickest and also cheap (at most times) is to fly. Easyjet are cheap if you book early (www.easyjet.com), but KLM, British Airways and British Midland have cheap flights too. I would go to any travel agent immediately after arrival in London and book a flight + hotel deal through them.

scurry Apr 21st, 2001 08:53 AM

<BR>Unless you are students or looking to do this trip on an extreme budget, do not take the train/overnight ferry to the Netherlands.