London: Thistle Hotels/Must See Places

Mar 17th, 2000, 09:05 PM
N. S. Mitchell

London: Thistle Hotels/Must See Places

We are planning a four night trip to London in May or June of 2000. Any comments as to "rating"/location on Thistle Hotels: Selfridge, Hyde Park, Westminster, Kings Cross, Lancaster Gate, Tavistock, Royal National, President, Barbican?
Also, what would be your suggestion for a "must include" for a first visit?
Thank you for your response.

Mar 18th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Mavis

Can't help with hotels, we have never really had much luck in London. The President was ok but quite run-down, although clean. The best two places we stayed - and they are probably very expensive now - were the Basil Street Hotel, steps fr. Harrods and wonderful and the Wilbraham - very nice. Things to see: In four days I'd see at least three plays, Cabinet War Rooms, the National Portrait Gallery, the Old Bailey (going for the first time this May but have heard it's wonderful), the Globe Theatre, Museum of Garden History (if you're a gardener), Museum of London if you like a lot of interaction, British Museum, Harrod's, tea at Brown's Hotel, walk about in Picaddilly at night (stay to well lit areas), Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club, Chinatown, Trafalger Square, the Mall (pronounced mell), Tower of London (if you've never been, I wouldn't go twice), we have had 50-50 luck on London walks, take a boat on Thames to Greenwich, Kew or Hampton Court. Have fun.

Mar 22nd, 2000, 05:30 PM
j

If you can, make a trip to the Sir John Soane house...it is really neat & a little off the beaten path. It was one of my favorite things to see in London.

Also, make a trip to Windsor. It's a short train ride from London & worth the trip.

Mar 22nd, 2000, 06:07 PM
bo_jack

Thistle is a relatively up-scale chain of UK hotels. We have stayed in Thistle Hotels in several locations -- England and Scotland. In general, they are 3+ to 4 star properties. I believe that the Hyde Park Thistle was named "Whites Hotel" until a couple of years ago; as Whites, it was the flagship of the Thistle chain. If so, it is a 4+ star property, about 50 rooms, each large and uniquely decorated. Very helpful staff and a very good restaurant -- although the menue is somewhat limited. Location is on Bayswater Road, near Lancaster Gate. Tube and bus are both convenient. We have stayed there several times and would stay there again. However, I would not be hesitant to stay at any of the Thistle properties.

Mar 23rd, 2000, 02:28 PM
Melissa

I stayed in the Thistle near the Marble Arch and it was wonderful!

As for "must sees"....I recommend taking the "hop on, hop off" bus on your first day there. You can take a tour of London at your leisure. I loved Covent Garden & Neal's Yard; enjoyed climbing St. Paul's Cathedral.
I would never recommend the Tower of London unless you are into cheesy tourist spots. The Changing of the Guard is okay if you can find a nice, high vantage point across the street.

Mar 23rd, 2000, 04:33 PM
jo

I stayed at the royal national a few times. location is great but its a large
very modern very uncharming hotel. It
is clean. i hated the breakfast and didnt
even get it after the first day. you hadto go down the hall and bring it backon a tray. the roll was stale and
the juice undrinkable. The last 2 years I stayed at the Preisdent and thought it was fine. Its a step up and
the breakfast was decent in a real
eating room. I didnt like the tavistock
when i stayed there years ago. THe staff
was generally rude and the rooms rundown. Its a little further away from
the tube then the 2 others.