London then Italy 20 1/2 days Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our 30th wedding anniversary from June 26, to July 17, 2019, traveling to London and Italy. We have 20 ½ days excluding international flights. Round trip from New Orleans to London (Heathrow) is a non-stop BA flight arriving London @12:25 pm on 6/27. This will give us three full days, plus arrival ½ day in London, and we would like to see: Hyde Park & Kensington Gardens, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Piccadilly Circus, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, the London Eye (ride), attend Mass (Saturday or Sunday) at Westminster Cathedral. We found this "3-Day" Itinerary in London at US News Travel) on-line.

On the Morning of July 1, we will fly to Italy, and spend the remainder of our trip (15 ½ days). We were thinking to fly into Venice (from Heathrow) and out from Milan (to Heathrow). Our first plan (subject to revisions pending comments from experienced travellers) is to see Venice, Bologna, Florence, Pisa, Vernazza, and Milan. Staying overnight in Venice, Florence, Vernazza and Milan. Travelling by train and perhaps a rental car from Florence to day trip to Bologna and then drop the rental off in Pisa.

Thank you for your advice, and comments.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 12:13 PM

Why rent a car to do a day trip to Bologna, which like any large Italian city is not friendly to cars and may well have a no-go zone for private cars.I think you are much better off doing everything by train - Even cities like Pisa not good for cars. And you have little time to drive thru countryside. Anyway unless regional trains like to Pisa and Vernazza book long-distance trains well ahead to nab limited discounted tickets - Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia or www.italotreno.it/en - competing railways using same stations and tracks so take cheapest one. For lots on Italian trains in general check www.seat61.com - great instructions on booking discounted tickets online yourself; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

Stop in Bologna for the night en route to Florence as you must go right thru it by train.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 01:29 PM

Mass (Saturday or Sunday) at Westminster Cathedral.>

Can also take in Mass at St. Paul's London's main church I believe.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 03:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Mass (Saturday or Sunday) at Westminster Cathedral.>

Can also take in Mass at St. Paul's London's main church I believe.<<

Apples and oranges Pal -- If they do in fact mean Westminster Cathedral . . . it is because they are Catholic and St Paul's is CofE. (Westminster Cathedral is not Westminster Abbey)

richarde99: Do you mean Westminster Cathedral or Westminster Abbey -- completely different bldgs? I suspect you meant the Cathedral because you mention Saturday Mass.

Buckingham Palace is a short walk-by, and Piccadilly Circus is a 'walk around' - basically a big roundabout full of traffic and a small statue in the middle. No need to 'schedule' either one - just walk by when you are in the neighborhood.

Hyde Park & Kensington Gardens, - a nice stroll. Westminster Abbey, - fabulous. St. Paul’s Cathedral - wonderful. Tower of London- an absolute must -- allow 3 or 4 hours minimum. Tower Bridge- from the Tower - the bridge is just right there so you can't see one without the other. London Eye - plan a late evening 'flight' so it won't interfere with other sightseeing. Sunset will be very late so if you go up at 8 or 8:30 it will be full on daylight with no queues. (that is unfortunate really since sunset is the best time but it will still be daylight)
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 04:07 PM

Have you already booked any of the flights?

If not, try getting a multi-city, into London, out of a city in Italy. It will save time and money backtracking from Italy to London. Or, reverse. Fly into Italy and out of London. It is often a bit more expensive that way though because, unless they have changed, departure taxes may be higher out of London. Overall though, it is best to arrange the trip for the most enjoyment.

If you have already booked the RT to London, then the problem I see is the flight from Italy back to Heathrow. If that flight and the one back to the US are not on the same ticket, any delays on the one from Italy and you are stuck. Common advice is to always be in the city of departure the night before a flight to the US. That long, international flight is the most costly to rebook last minute if something should happen.

Based on that, if you have the stamina and your RT is already booked, on arrival into London, continue on to Italy. Put all your London time at the end of the trip, ready for the flight home.

London itinerary: nothing wrong with the given itinerary, but it is cookie cutter with some good stuff and misc. stuff of little interest. Get some good guide books and really study them to decide exactly what most interests you personally. We love Theater and always go in London. The Globe is fun. There are some incredible museums! There are fun markets. We liked a canal boat trip. Hampton Court Palace is interesting. Find London for yourself.

Have you been to Italy? No Rome?
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 04:47 PM

Oh - I skipped over your Italy paragraph. Sassafrass is 100% correct. If your flights in to/home from LHR are already booked, either fly directly on to Italy on your arrival day and then finish up with your 3 or 4 days in London . . . OR . . . fly back to London the evening before your flight home.

But even better -- if you haven't booked your flights yet - do open jaw/multi city in to London and home from Italy.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 05:21 PM

Agree with above... you really don't want a car in Bologna... parking is a headache, zones off limits, The train station is right near the center of things, so it's an easy city with frequent trains.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 05:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree you do not need a car to do a daytrip to Bologna from Florence and there are a lot of people who will tell you what a pain driving a rental car out of Florence can be (it can be done and without getting a ticket) but why bother when you can get between the two cities in 35 minutes without changing? And Pisa from Florence only takes about an hour by rail.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comment. I was thinking about a rental car as an advantage to ease dealing with loading baggage into lockers at the train stations where we are not staying a night, and to free us up from schedules other than checking in / out at overnight stays. However, my wife (not without some justification) said she would prefer if I didn't drive!
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 03:45 AM

We just returned from a month in Bologna. As has been suggested above a car in the city is more of a hindrance than an asset. Bologna train station is massive and is effectively a hub for the rest of the country and rail travel is relatively inexpensive. Florence, Venice, Ravenna, Parma, Verona, Parma are all easily accessible by train within 90 mins. Even Rome is only about 3 hours.

Bologna Station is 20 min walk or 10 min taxi from the centre so it makes a very convenient base from which to explore other parts of the country. We rented an apartment and just left our stuff there and took overnight bags for visits to other cities.The only time we rented a car was to visit Dozza for the day ( well worth it).
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 06:34 AM

Cars are a hassle in cities -have to park outside no-go zones sometimes even if your hotel is inside (Florence) unless hotel has parking. You are going mainly to cities - Trenitalia has a new plan where with fast trains you can send your baggage ahead to any station.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Sorry all, I failed to read the rules, and learned about the 2 posts in a day rule, so here is my abbreviated reply to all. Also, I do not have the ability to hyperlink to your names (or anything else) so I hope you each see this.

PalenQ: Thank you for your comment. I was thinking about a rental car as an advantage to ease dealing with loading baggage into lockers at the train stations where we are not staying a night, and to free us up from schedules other than checking in / out at overnight stays. However, my wife (not without some justification) said she would prefer if I didn't drive! After review of the comments, and reflection; we will skip the car.

Jainisj: You are correct, we are Catholic and selected the Cathedral intentionally. However, we most certainly plan to see St. Paul's and the Westminster Abbey too.

Sassafrass: Last year we traveled to Paris, with a day trip to Normandy, and then Rome with a day trip to Pompeii with our adult children. We have made no airline reservations yet, as my research suggest that the best prices are 6 months in advance. We are looking to fly in and out of London as BA has the only non-stop from New Orleans, and we are seduced by the idea of an overnight 8 1/2 flight. Last year, we had connecting flights that started early afternoon which took us around 14 hours to get into Paris, and following advice to stay up during the arrival daytime, we were up nearly 31 hours. I purchase travel insurance, and we've hit weather related interruptions before, and the insurance covered the additional costs nicely.

The BA non-stop round trip for 2, premium economy, is approximately $3,800, with good flight times out of New Orleans and back. It looks like there are many flights to and from London to several airports in Milan, and a couple in Venice with an estimated price of $245. The “open jaw” or multiple city option is nearly $5,000. The London trip is intended to be rather “cookie cutter” as we simply don’t have the time and want to see the highlights.

kawh, Dukey1, and crellston we will not rent a car, I'm convinced!

Lastly, some of you have specific travel comments based upon your own travels; and I wonder if you have published a trip report? Can you link it here?
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 05:16 PM

Not to worry -- once you have 5 posts you will graduate to full membership and an post links or anything else.

>>as my research suggest that the best prices are 6 months in advance.<<

Nothing magic about 6 months out or 6 weeks or 6 days . . . the fares will fluctuate all year long depending on the load factors/etc.

I'd still REALLY consider open jaw in to the UK and home from Italy (or vice versa). A R-T may be slightly cheaper but then you have to 'eat' a day/night of your holiday returning to London to fly home.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 03:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Venice, Bologna, Florence, Pisa, Vernazza, and Milan if I was doing all of these and I had a spare half day or evening I might go to Lucca, which is easy to do as a train/bus trip from Florence and Pisa, maybe say Florence train to Pisa for the day then train to Lucca for an evening wander about and super and then home.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments. I recall reading about the city walls of Lucca, so I need to look more carefully. It may well work out as you suggest, although we are torn between basing in Bologna or Florence. Looks like Bologna is a bit of a stretch to make Pisa, Lucca and back to Bologna. Perhaps we store the bags at the Bologna Centrale, if we stop in Bologna from Venice on the way to base in Florence.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 12:36 PM

Yeah if basing for Pisa and Lucca by train Florence is much closer. I'd consider Bologna a good day trip from Florence -just an hour by train.