London Theatre-"Woman in White"?

Sep 27th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

London Theatre-"Woman in White"?

My husband and I will be in London next week and we are interested in seeing "Woman in White. Has anyone seen it? I am an extreme Andrew Lloyd Webber fan and I also love Michael Crawford. I would like to see this show, but being such a new show, I have not read a lot of reviews. I would love some input.
Thanks to all!!
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:26 PM

ttt
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:38 PM

We saw this show a couple of weeks ago, before its official opening. I'm not sure when that was, but perhaps that's why you haven't seen reviews yet. I enjoyed it, and there is at least one song everyone will be singing. Also, the Palace Theatre is worth the ticket just for itself. Definitely go.
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:53 PM

whatsonstage.com has a favorable review of the show. I agree with KarenW - the Palace is worth seeing. It will be strange going there and not seeing Le Miz after all these years.
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Have you seen the pictures of Michael Crawford in the incredible fat suit and makeup? That alone should be worth the price of a ticket. Reviews are mixed, but reading between the lines I suspect many of them are just doing the "required" "let's pan anything Weber does".
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:57 PM

Hey,

I just booked tickets for next Friday night!!!!

I have a friend who said it was very good.

The last ALWebber we saw was Beautiful Game, and I have to say I was very disappointed in that.

I'm hoping for the best.

Should I give a review when I get back?
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Should you give a review? Absolutely. It's required of you!!!
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:09 PM

Will do! BTW, are you in a theatre group or something? I thought I saw one of your posts that implied that, but I aplogize if I am getting you mixed up with someone else.
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Yep, that's me. Long time active member of The Naples Players in Naples, Florida. Currently directing a main stage production of You Can't Take it With You.
You may have noticed my posts about Flat Rock, North Carolina where I Equity apprenticed many, many years ago.
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Great!

Have you made it out here (California) to the Geffen Theatre? (That's not really off topic, is it????) Heh heh.

Sep 28th, 2004, 05:23 AM

Was last at the Geffen for the world premier of SIX DANCE LESSONS IN SIX WEEKS with the wonderful Uta Hagen and David Hyde Pierce. Later we saw a production of it with Rue McClanahan in Miami, also good. Too bad they screwed it up for Broadway -- Polly Bergen?

The Geffen was closed a couple months ago for refurbishement. Has it reopened? While in LA, I often opt for the little 99 seat waiver theatres and see some pretty good stuff.
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Eli

For those who booked "Woman in White": whatever you do, don't read the review in TIME magazine. As the review is available online on TIME's web site, don't try to look it up...
Sep 28th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Eli, thans for the Time tip. I'll put my earplugs and blinders on now....

Patrick, Take Me Out to the Ballgame starts at the Geffen in October. I haven't heard of any of the player (that's usually good.)

I just think its a sweet place. I live in Santa Barbara, and the most of the productions here make Waiting for Guffman look like high art.