Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Theatre Weekend -- Hotels and Tickets

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:40 AM
bethanyboy

ANyone have any experience with the NOVOTEL LONDON EUSTON (formerly the Bernard Shaw Park Plaza?)? How about purchasing theatre tix in advance?

My fiancee and I are going to London in late Sept, and I found this hotel, but not many reviews....

Also, I think buying from theatres and doing the "Will Call" route is the easiest than trying to buy through ticket agency or concierge.... Thoughts?

Finally, it's only a long weekend (and I've been before), but what restaurants/activities would folks suggest -- we like to walk, and prefer romantic spots, please no pubs -- neither of us drink nor prefer to hang out there.

Thanks !

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried looking for hotel reviews on tripadvisor.com?

For theater, unless there's something in particular you want to see that's a "hot" ticket, I'd wait til you get there & try to get discount seats at the Leicester Sq. booth.

For a nice walk if the weather's good, Kew gardens or Richmond Park or Hyde Park or Kensington gardens or...a walk along the Thames.
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:06 AM
bethanyboy

Thanks, MC -- did try tripadvisor and a couple others, but no luck... the hotel does have a website.

Leicester SQ TKTS is a good suggestion, just hope the lines are not long -- and hope they have Chicago and Les Miz (I think for sure as this has been running very long).

Old May 8th, 2003, 08:46 AM

Any reason why you picked that hotel? People on this board give reviews all the time of dozens or more hotels, so if you want one that people generally like, why don't you pick one of those?

Also, most people on this board, and I agree, don't think that Euston is the best neighborhood to stay in for touring around London. It's not really near anything and not as convenient as other areas. Just a thought.

I'd try to buy tickets at Leicester Sq, as others suggest.

Have fun!
Karen
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:23 AM
bethanyboy

Karen: Thanks for the comments and respect your opinion re: location. I tend to think that a location that's within 1-1-1/2 miles (and 3-4 Tube stops) of everything from Leicester Sq/Covent GDN/Soho to Piccadilly and the Theatres is close enough for me.

Euston was chosen because of Priceline -- with unlimited funds, I'd have gone elsewhere, too.

I'm really trying to determine what kind of place it is -- perhaps others who use Priceline may find it useful information, too.

Thanks to all for any input!

Old May 8th, 2003, 11:37 AM
pj

To reasuure you I will be returning to London in June. We are staying at the Thistle Euston again. I found the area fine, short walk to the tube. Enjoy! PJ
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:20 AM

For theatre tickets, I've had the best luck calling the theatre directly. (especially if seat location is important to you.) You can view seating charts at playbill.com.