Search

London Theatre Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Theatre Suggestions

Hello.

I would like to purchase advance tickets to the theatre. "Mouse Trap" has had a long run -- is it any good? Or I suppose that is a silly questions...

Any suggestions on what to see or avoid?

Thank you!

Old May 16th, 2006, 05:10 PM

Mousetrap is good, nothing spectacular. You can wait and buy the tickets at the theatre.

If you like musicals, highly rec Billy Elliot. It is quite popular and you should book ahead. If you like comedy, Glorious is very good and usually at the TKTS half price booth.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Well, while we are discussing London theater, has anyone seen Mary Poppins? My mom and I have tickets for that in September.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:50 PM
P_M

Hello stw.

I agree that Mouse Trap is good but nothing special. Last month when I was in London I saw Mary Poppins which was an absolute delight. In some ways it was the same as the movie, in some ways it was different. It's not just for kids and I highly recommend it. Because you are my cyber-pal, stw, let me give you an insider tip on seating:

Do not accept seats on the floor level at the very back of this auditorim unless there is nothing else. If you are on the floor, make sure you can look over your right shoulder and see the balcony. I can't tell you why, it will spoil the ending. In other words, if you must choose between balcony seats or floor seats at the back, go for the balcony.

The other show I saw was Billy Elliot which was spectacular!! I knew nothing about it before going, except Neopolitan recommended it so I knew it was good. (I'm sure he'll jump into this thread any second now.) I was SO impressed, that show has it all, ie laughter, tears, and a very uplifting ending. I forbid you to miss it.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Neopolitan

Well, I can't disappoint, so I'm jumping in. But I really don't have a lot to add that hasn't already been answered very well.
I'm mostly looking forward to Hay Fever this summer with Judi Dench. It got unanimous rave reviews.

Billy Elliot is hard to beat for a musical.

Old May 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM

For years, I've been singing the praises of the Outdoor Theater at Regent's Park. This is a unique and wonderful theater experience. They even have food for dinner available. Unless you arrive early though, the lines at the buffet are long; however, the lines at the grill for burgers are short.

The plays always include Shakespeare, sometimes Shaw, and usually a musical offering.

I love this theater; prices are good and the ambience is unbeatable. The performances are of a high quality and the sets are innovative. It is a ball!
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Both Mary Poppins and Mamma Mia have loosened up quite a bit as far as ticket availability is concerned and you can almost always count on being able to go to the theatre and pick up tickets for any performance except perhaps Friday evenings and Saturdays.

Billy Elliot is still a tough ticket and is the one I would strongly suggest you call the theatre and book in advance.

All 3 are absolutely fantastic as is an old stand by Les Miserables...

Don't count on getting tickets for MP, MM or BE at the half price ticket booths however.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM
jgg

We saw Mary Poppins in March, there were 6 of us ages 10-69 and we all throroughly enjoyed it. Look on this website for tips on best seats and other tips for London theaters: www.theatremonkey.com/

At Mary Poppins we were in the 3rd or 4th row of the balcony (I believe they call it the dress circle) and they were excellent, particularly for the ending!
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:34 AM

If you want the best seats amd are willing to make a phone call, then I would call the box office. Its up to you but when I was in London last month and picking up my tickets for "Mamma Mia" there were people being turned away at the box office for mid-week performances so you cannot "count" on anything necessarily.

Neo, I'll be interested in your "review" of Hay Fever which was in previews while I was there. The subsequent reviews I read were all, as one would suspect, raves about Dench, somewhat lukewarm about Bowles, and the rest of them might as well have not been on the stage!

I am certain it will be worth seeing just to see her alone.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! Mary Poppins sounds wonderful. Decisions, decisions.

I will ring up the theatre tomorrow to see what is available.

Thanks again.