Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London theatre - site for tickets to sold-out show

Sep 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Can you recommend a website where we can look for tickets to a sold-out show?

A few years ago I got such a recommendation here and was successful in using it.

I've had lots of luck actually just going to sold-out shows an hour early and getting a "return" ticket or house seat, but my friends may prefer to book ahead if it can be done, and pay a premium, in order to have the time for other things on a short visit.

The show in question is Enron, comments also welcome!!
Sep 29th, 2009, 06:56 PM

I'm afraid I don't know of any sites but I had luck with doing this through the concierge at the hotel where we were booked. I emailed prior to our arrival and were assured that the concierge could obtain tickets through a reputable source. We went ahead and OK'd the purchase and the tickets were waiting for us upon our arrival.
Sep 29th, 2009, 07:33 PM

The Royal Court theater is very serious about scalped tickets. From their website:

Tickets booked from secondary agents (e.g. Gumtree, eBay, Seatwave, Getmein and Viagogo) and ticket touts will be refused entry. Please do not support the reselling of secondhand theatre tickets for profit.

I'd just try for returns and if you are unsuccessful - have a plan B for a different show . . . .
Sep 29th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

After I posted I read on the Theatremonkey site that the Royal Court holds some tickets for sale the same day as a counter-tout move.

But - are all tickets bought from any source other than the theatre considered scalped tickets? or are there okay secondary sources?
Sep 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM

I wouldn't risk it myself. How would you know if any particular site is OK. You wouldn't absolutely for sure - and by then you'd be out a LOT of ££.