Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Theatre - My Fair Lady or The Phantom of the Opera? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-theatre-my-fair-lady-or-the-phantom-of-the-opera-234079/)

Jim Jun 24th, 2002 05:00 PM

London Theatre - My Fair Lady or The Phantom of the Opera?

Have just time for one musical. What would you recommend? My Fair Lady or The Phantom of the Opera or other? Thanks!

Bill Jun 24th, 2002 05:22 PM

Lord, spare me that I should ever have to make this choice.

jeanne Jun 24th, 2002 05:35 PM

As usual,it depends. If you haven't seen "Phantom", I'd recommend it. The stage production alone is worth seeing, not to mention the Andrew Lloyd Weber score. It's marvelous. <BR><BR>(I assume you've seen the My Fair Lady movie...stage production is identical. I could never enjoy anyone else in the lead role after Audrey Hepburn)

Karen Jun 24th, 2002 05:40 PM

Phantom, saw it 2 years ago, my 3rd time seeing it, twice in London, once in NYC. You won't be sorry you decided on Phantom. The staging is superb, not to mention the music. BTW, stop by the Hampshire Hotel in Leicester Square for tea and scones.<BR><BR>Hope you have a wonderful time. I'm envious.

mjs Jun 25th, 2002 05:13 PM

Highly recommend My Fair Lady. I love Audrey too but the current London production is excellent and I like MFL more than Phantom. Les mes howver maybe another story if you have not seen that.

Sue Jun 25th, 2002 05:24 PM

I have seen both - and highly recommend either of them. I probably enjoyed Phantom more. After having seen both Julie Andrews and Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, that didn't help! Les Miz is fantastic! You can't really go wrong with any of those three.

Ian G Jun 26th, 2002 04:58 PM

Personally, I do not care for Andrew Lloyd Weber at all. However, to respond, for practical purposes, I saw MY FAIR LADY in London in April and would vote for that. MFL is not staged continually around the globe, at least not as major productions, as PHANTOM is and has been for 96,000 years running.<BR>The London MFL is first rate as a production and as this is one of the great theatre musicals (unlike PHANTOM, which is a triumph of style over substance and has a score that lives off one banal song) and should not---as a stage production---be missed.

Jennifer Jun 26th, 2002 05:01 PM

Saw My Fair Lady in March, alot of English humor which was lost on us, but overall a great show.<BR><BR>VERY tiny seating in the Drury Lane Theater, but it is the oldest theater in London.

sandra Jun 26th, 2002 05:03 PM

I have seen MFL last year in London and it was superb, i have Phantom 3 times in ny and it is good . But to add some confusion Last April while i was in London I saw The King and I , with i believe her name was Elaine PAige and it brought tears to my eye. If tickets to MFL are not available and K&I is playing i would skip over phantom and see the king it was superb

Connie Jun 26th, 2002 05:36 PM

I saw My Fair Lady June 10th and it was wonderful. I have seen Phantom twice before and My Fair Lady does not have all the special effects as Phantom. I agree with the earlier poster, the seats at Drury Lane are small, but they did serve Ben and Jerry's ice cream during intermission.

xxx Jun 26th, 2002 06:46 PM

Actually I have found most of the theatres serve Ben and Jerry's at intermission....for &pound;2.20 for a small cup. For those of you not up to date on currency exchange, at the best rate possible, that's $3.33 a rip off in any language.

Kath Jun 26th, 2002 08:29 PM

Depends on what type of musical you prefer. Heresy, I know, but I considered Phantom rather boring with it's opera dialogue. Give me Fair Lady anyday.

The rain in spain... Jun 26th, 2002 09:07 PM

For those of you who say how much you loved Audrey in MFL - you do realise her singing voice was not quite up to scratch & she was dubbed in the movie don't you? (by Julie Andrews who I believe had the role in the original stage show but was dumped for teh movie as she didn't have the required 'star pulling power' according to studio exec's )

mjs Jun 26th, 2002 10:55 PM

Actually it was not Julie Andrews who dubbed Audrey in the movie. Cannot however at this time remember who it was. Julie did however do MFL in NY and also I believe in London.<BR>I should also say that I did not find the seats at thr Drury small and I weigh in at 185lbs.

Deepsoprano Jun 27th, 2002 07:09 AM

It was Marni Nixon. Yes, she also dubbed for Natalie Wood in West Side Story.