London Theatre Dress

Jul 10th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

London Theatre Dress

Hi all,

Wondering what the masses wear to the theater in London? I am always shocked at the shorts and jeans the tourists (and I suppose some NYers) wear on Broadway like it was a film they were about to see.

Anyway, are slacks/shirts or a skirt/sweater okay for my husband and I or do we need to get a bit more dressed up?

I am sure anything goes, but I don't like to standout like a tourist anymore than I have to!
Jul 10th, 2003, 12:26 PM

HI
You will find that as in New York, not many people in London dress for the theatre anymore. Some people will be nicely dressed if they came straight from their offices, but you will also see jeans and teeshirts. Your suggestions for clothes will be fine.
Jul 10th, 2003, 02:29 PM

There is no one infallible way of looking like a tourist (Japanese matrons look very different from Euroteenies, who look very different from Australian backpackers)

But there is one infallible way of standing out as an American tourist. Overdressing in the evening.

Americans do it. We don't. If you want to look like a local at a theatre(though heaven knows why anyone would), wear what you feel comfortable in.

At theatres just two exceptions: First night at ordinary theatres (Black Tie or serious cool), and the posh - 120 pounds and over - seats at Covent Garden (jacket and tie for men: equivalent for women)

Otherwise jeans are normal: shorts OK. You go to theatres to watch the play, not the audience.
Jul 10th, 2003, 02:52 PM

We'e always in London in the Spring and found that "business casual" works real well for us. You will see everything and anything dress-wise tho from well dressed to those looking like they have been sleeping in the park. I'd say go feeling comfortable with yourself.
Jul 10th, 2003, 03:36 PM

We saw Mama Mia in May of this year in London. The theater seats 1600 people. Everyone was dressed to his/her liking.
Relax and enjoy.
John
Jul 11th, 2003, 03:57 AM
ira

Ah, well.

More of the general lessening of standards.

I shall continue to wear my evening dress with opera cape.
Jul 11th, 2003, 07:20 AM
DMG

Last time I saw uust about everything except for ira in evening dress and cape. I favor business casual.
Jul 11th, 2003, 07:33 AM

Does this mean I shouldn't wear my tiara? #39;(
Jul 11th, 2003, 07:39 AM

Well we've never seen an opera cape or tiara but we have seen evening gowns a few times when at the theater! This past April there were 6 teen-age girls (French & maybe 17-18) in long gowns looking very elegant. They got a lot of compliments from others as they walked to their seats. (This was at Mamma Mia).
Jul 11th, 2003, 08:37 AM

I suppose I'm most shocked at the idea that American tourists stand out by overdressing at night in London! Not from my own experiences in the city many times in recent years. I tend to wear business casual: a skirt, possibly a scarf to the theatre, because it's an evening out- and a nice excuse to wear less comfortable shoes ; )
I've seen hordes of American tourists (of which I am one) wearing khaki shorts, '_____ State University' Sweatshirts and baseball caps and travelling in packs. That's not my idea of overdressing.
Jul 11th, 2003, 08:49 AM

My wife is Polish, she won't let me go to the opera or ballet unless in tie and coat. She tells me that to dress otherwise is to declare yourself a "primitive". Dressing up is an effort to present one's self in the best possible way. Consider the effort that teenagers go to for their proms! Or, the couple for the first wedding.
Jul 11th, 2003, 08:56 AM

ira, I want to go to the theatre when You Do!!
I will wear my Tiara! O
Jul 11th, 2003, 10:46 AM

We saw MammaMia last week in London. My husband and two teenage boys wore collared long sleeved shirts and long pants. I wore pants and a sweater. We looked fine. I asked the concierge at our hotel what to wear and he said you'll see people in shorts and people in suits. Wear whatever you like. A tiara goes with everything and it will make it easier for you to get a cab after it's over.
Jul 14th, 2003, 04:29 AM

I was in London last month and saw Chicago (fabulous). My fiance and I dressed up (dress for me, shirt and tie for him). I saw many people with jeans on unfortunatly. I miss the days when the theater was a grand event.
Jul 14th, 2003, 05:47 AM
ira

Well, at least some of us haven't forgotten what our mothers taught us.
Jul 14th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Intrepid

As I recall, the original poster wanted to know what "the masses" are wearing to theatres in London. That is doesn't include coats, ties, and long dresses shouldn't surprise anyone. And as to people not forgetting what they were taught by their elders...where do you think the masses got the idea that not dressing up for the theater was OK???

Jul 14th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Scarlett, I'm glad to hear about your tiara. Hope that means you have a new dress, too. We were all getting really tired of those old green velvet curtains!
Jul 14th, 2003, 05:41 PM
ira

> as to people not forgetting what they were taught by their elders...where do you think the masses got the idea that not dressing up for the theater was OK???<

From their so-called peers.

Jul 14th, 2003, 09:01 PM

The masses are wearing pretty much whatever they had a mind to wear at the theater in London, it appeared.

We overdressed. Business suit jacket and slacks, black leather shoes for me; simple elegant black dress and shawl for my wife. While it's true that we didn't go to see the audience (or have the audience see us) and we did go to see the show, we really went to enjoy ourselves for a night at the theater. We enjoyed it tremendously.

Where whatever suits the kind of night you'd like to have. It's your night out.
Jul 14th, 2003, 09:02 PM

"Wear", even