Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Theatertickets? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-theatertickets-260950/)

Arda Sep 25th, 2002 10:47 AM

London Theatertickets?

Be in London in October with my daughter(18).<BR>How do we get tickets for theater/musicals?<BR>And: is it safe for two woman to walk to the hotel late in the evening, after visiting the thater? Thanks for your help?

Alec Sep 25th, 2002 11:02 AM

Unless you have youe eye on a particularly popular show (Mama Mia, Lion King etc), where you want to book in advance through ticketmaster.co.uk for example, you can wait till you get to London and phone the theatre direct or visit the box office in person. Many tickets are also available at half-price booth in Leicester Square (beware long queue). Usually there are plenty of seats available, esp Mon-Thu and matinees.<BR>In most parts of Central London where tourists stay, there should still be plenty of people about around 10 to 11 pm when you get back from theatres to make you feel safe. Just take normal precautions like staying on well-lit streets and being aware of your surroundings.

Dave Sep 25th, 2002 11:13 AM

The following website seems a likely place, although I haven't used it (yet):<BR>www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/index.cfm/fa/ticketsonline.showpage<BR><BR>My understanding is that the official Leicester Square 1/2-price booth (http://home.clara.net/rap/half/) sells only the best remaining seats -what they call "top-of-the-pile - so even though they're half-price, they might be more expensive than ordering cheaper seats directly or on-line. But if you want good seats, anyway, that may be the way to go.<BR><BR>Dave

XXX Sep 25th, 2002 11:19 AM

For extremely popular shows, or for a show you have your heart set on, go to any London Theatre web site, get the direct number of the theatre, call the theatre directly and make a booking with your credit card. You can and should request they hold the tickets for you to pick up just before the performance.<BR><BR>Many many shows will be available to you the day of the performance only at the half price TKTS booth located in Leicester Square. The previous poster is correct, it is not the cheapest way to go as they give half price off the most expensive seats and then add on a &pound;2.50 service charge. Be careful in going to the official 1/2 price ticket booth which is a free standing structure at the back of a little park; manyunsuspecting tourists get off the underground at Leicester Square station and after crossing Charing Cross Rd. see queues in front of signs saying official 1/2 ticket broker but these are rip off joints. Only use the official TKTS booth located as indicated above.<BR><BR>

starspinners Sep 25th, 2002 11:56 AM

Arda,<BR>I am a woman who travels solo to London each October to go to the theater. Sometimes I go to shows with friends who live in London, other times I go alone.I usually walk back after the show if the weather is nice.<BR>The first time I walked back alone I was a bit apprehensive, but as I noticed so many other people walking, couples and singles too, then I felt more confident. <BR>If your hotel is in the West End you may prefer walking back , too. In fact it is rather difficult to get a cab after the shows are over because of the sheer numbers of theaters letting out at the same time, usually not a problem getting a cab TO the theater though. <BR> Very probably the theaters you will attend will be near the Covent Garden, the Leicester Square , the Charing Cross , or the Picadilly tube stations so if you don't want to walk all the way to your hotel you can at least take a tube ride part of the way. <BR>

David Sep 25th, 2002 12:33 PM

Arda<BR><BR>You could also check lastminute.com for theatre deals. They usually have good promotions for a number of shows.<BR><BR><BR>

ttt Sep 26th, 2002 01:54 PM

topping

Sonney Sep 27th, 2002 06:19 PM

Many times a show will not have 2 seats together. Thus, I was able to see Mamma Mia with my wife by asking at the theatre box office for '2 singles' for a performance 3 days later. Checked on Tues. for Fri. night. They were full price but we saw a great play. In addition our seats were only 3 rows apart and both on the isle.