Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Theater suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-theater-suggestions-334020/)

terryb900 Jul 5th, 2003 06:26 PM

London Theater suggestions

Any suggestions for "don't miss" theater productions right now in the West End? I go to New York pretty often so I've seen a lot of the warhorses. Looking for something new or something with a particularly noteworthy performer or performance. Would like to hear what recent theatergoers have seen. (And feel free to tell me what to avoid, too.)

Elizabeth Jul 5th, 2003 07:06 PM

Hitchcock Blonde is wonderful. I saw it before it moved to the WE, a friend just saw it there.

If I were going to London I'd want to see the Jerry Springer opera if it's still there. Probably isn't.

I live in NYC for what that's worth re: me as a recommender

Laurie Jul 5th, 2003 09:21 PM

We went to see "We Will Rock You" during our recent trip to London and we loved it! It features the music of Queen and has lots of energy and British humor. It's probably not for everyone but we really enjoyed it. It received a standing ovation the night we were there.

Eli Jul 5th, 2003 10:50 PM

Any comments on Oscar Wilde's A Woman of no Importance which will be opening in September? Would this be a time well spent?

janis Jul 6th, 2003 05:07 AM

Well - since it won't open for two more months that's hard to say :)

But with Rupert Graves staring, and being at the Haymarket, it likely will be pretty good.

Lee4 Jul 6th, 2003 10:27 AM

I was in London in June and saw The Reduced Shakespeare Company's "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare--abridged." This is absolutely hilarious! The performance is done by only 3 actors, and they are terrific. This is a comedy, not a serious "shakespeare" play and can be enjoyed by anyone. This same company also performs two other shows that cover the Bible and the history of the US. Again, these are all meant to be funny and are performed by only 3 actors. You probably can't go wrong with any of their shows.

Bree Jul 6th, 2003 11:34 AM

I enjoyed three shows I saw last month at the National Theatre (which I know isn't technically "the West End", but I'm assuming you weren't ruling it out when you asked about West End productions):

Jumpers -- a revival of an early Tom Stoppard play. I love anything by Stoppard, so I'm admittedly biased, but I thought this was an excellent revival, and Simon Russell Beale gave a great performance.

His Girl Friday -- a new adaptation, by John Guare, that combines elements of both the play The Front Page, and the movie His Girl Friday. Zoe Wanamaker is very good in the Rosalind Russell role, and a large cast of British actors does a creditable job of sounding like Chicago newspaper reporters.

Henry V -- a modern-dress production with Adrian Lester in the title role. I normally don't like modern-dress productions of Shakespeare, but I thought they did a nice job here.

I didn't see Jerry Springer: The Opera, which Elizabeth mentioned, but the woman who sat next to me at His Girl Friday had seen it and loved it. (She said some friends had to drag her to it because she didn't want to see it, and she liked it so much she's planning to see it again.) It's running at the National until the end of September, and then transfers to the West End in mid-October.

AmyLynne Jul 6th, 2003 12:38 PM

I just noticed that tickets to Jerry Springer The Opera went on sale at http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/. I did see a few weeks ago and loved it. See it if you can!!

JamilaZ Jul 8th, 2003 04:55 AM

Bombay Dreams is awesome. Great stage production. Something different. Hope it comes to the U.S.!

emjoy Jul 8th, 2003 05:26 AM

I returned a few weeks ago from a theatre filled trip to London and I particularly enjoyed the RSC production of Ibsen's Brand with Ralph Fiennes at the Theatre Royal Haymarket.
Tickets are available through ticketmaster.co.uk, or the RSC site, and even if sold out, you might still get returns at the door as some of my friends managed to-on a weekend they got 13th row center.

It's not West End, but I also enjoyed Richard II with Mark Rylance at the Globe and for 5 pounds you can't beat it. (Richard III is also still playing I believe).
Enjoy

emjoy Jul 8th, 2003 05:46 AM

Oh, I should have also mentioned- although once again you must broaden your idea of 'West End'- a few years ago I saw the Shakepeare Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park and it was delightful. nice food, wine, picnicy atmosphere and then nice seating for the play...A truly memorable experience.

DMG Jul 8th, 2003 08:13 AM

Do you think I can get tickets to Bombay Dreams (Sunday matinee) a week before the show rather than ordering them now? I am suppose to be in London in October but don't want to purchase tickets this far in advance.

JamilaZ Jul 8th, 2003 12:22 PM

I was there on May 9th and was lucky enough to get good seats (first row orchestra for around 45 pounds) for May 10th matinee (sunday). I guess it depends on what's going on that weekend in London. If you're picky about seats, I would get them as soon as possible. Otherwise, shouldn't be a problem.

cheriegal Jul 8th, 2003 01:37 PM

Another vote for Bombay Dreams .We saw it in March and it was great.We saw another one that was a British comedy that we liked - Abigail's Party.

Kavey Jul 8th, 2003 01:43 PM

Loved Bombay Dreams last year and also 125th Street which I went to see twice.

brooke Jul 16th, 2003 11:12 AM

We just saw a Woman in Black last week. Not your big theater production - it is a two-man thriller that is very well-acted and actually kind of scary for the theater! Would recommend it for something different.