Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Theater Suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-theater-suggestions-248391/)

London Aug 10th, 2002 06:58 PM

London Theater Suggestions

I'll be in London at the end of August (29th through Sept. 2). Any suggestions on what would be a good choice for a play? Thanks

x Aug 10th, 2002 08:56 PM

Not sure if there are any good ones right now.

janis Aug 10th, 2002 09:19 PM

There are MANY good and great shows running now. Most are available ti the 1/2 price TKTS booth in Leicester Sq.<BR><BR>The shows offered 1/2 price each day can vary but in general here is a typical selection:<BR>MATINEE<BR>Chicago<BR>Fame<BR>Full Monty<BR><BR><BR>EVENING<BR>Art<BR>Blood Brothers<BR>Caught in the Net<BR>Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)<BR>Constant Wife<BR>Fame<BR>Full Monty<BR>Gagarin Way<BR>Humble Boy<BR>An Inspector Calls<BR>Iolanthe<BR>The Island<BR>Julius Caesar <BR>King Lear <BR>Kiss Me Kate<BR>Lady Windermere's Fan (25 % off)<BR>My Fair Lady (25 % off)<BR>My One and Only<BR>Noises Off<BR>Shockheaded Peter<BR>Stomp (Sadler's Wells)<BR>Stones in his Pockets<BR>Taboo<BR>This is Our Youth<BR>Vagina Monologues<BR>Winter's Tale <BR>Woman in Black<BR>The York Realist<BR><BR><BR><BR>

London Aug 11th, 2002 10:33 AM

Any personal recommendations? I've all ready seen Chicago, Fame, Kiss Me Kate, Lion King and the Vagina Monologues.

Elizabeth Aug 11th, 2002 11:59 AM

On that list all I've seen is Lady Windermere's fan, in May with Vanessa REdgrave and her daughter Joely Richardson. I recommend it if it has that cast, and even if not it's probably still a good piece of work.<BR> <BR> Myself I am never disappointed if I just get myself to whatever is at the Royal National Theatre. If you want to check it out, there are ways to get half-price or lower price tickets there too. Not sold at the TKTS place I don't think.

Sue Aug 11th, 2002 12:00 PM

There's a new musical Bombay Dreams that is #1 on the Albemarle site; also a revival of Sleuth that's gotten good reviews. You might just browse around on their site to see if anything piques your interest.<BR><BR>http://www.albemarle-london.com/<BR><BR>

G Aug 11th, 2002 12:07 PM

I would suggest the Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) if you are looking for some humor. The theatre is not too large, so there don't seem to be any really bad seats. Possibly also Mamma Mia. One suggestion - don't overdo it! On a recent trip to London, we took in three productions in three nights and it was just too much. Space them out if you can. <BR>If you are going to use the Half Price Ticket Booth, make sure you find the "real" one - there are several others in the area that call themselves something similar. <BR>Have a great time!

Elizabeth Aug 11th, 2002 12:14 PM

I just looked at the RNT site. From my point of view y ou are in luck, as a play called Vincent in Brixton has apparently just moved from the Cottesloe (at the RNT on the SouthBank) to the West End.<BR><BR> It was one of the most memorable plays I have ever seen--it's about a few years that Vincent Van Gogh spent in London. With the author allowing himself to imagine a great deal based on what Van G wrote in letters etc.<BR><BR> Vincent is played as a touching young man by an excellent Dutch actor. <BR><BR> You can read about it at the Royal National Theatre site if you feel like it.

TheatreLover Aug 11th, 2002 01:53 PM

G.<BR>Spread them out!!???!<BR>I go to London and try to see 7 plays in 4 days.

xxx Aug 11th, 2002 02:11 PM

Just so everybody is aware...<BR><BR>The official half price ticket booth is a free standing structure towards the rear part of the little park at Leicester Square (it is surrounded by a Burger King, a cinema).<BR><BR>The difficulty is when you get off the Underground at the Leicester Square station you find the pedestrian only street leading to the park...but there are several rip off joints which advertise half price tickets and the moronic tourists too lazy to do their homework queue up for these places and seeing the queues, others think this is the place.

London Aug 11th, 2002 04:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to check out Bombay Dreams as well as maybe a few others.

aj Aug 12th, 2002 10:25 AM

My husband and I really enjoyed My Fair Lady in May. We especially enjoy Royal Theatre Drury Lane. I have read that it is one of the oldest (if not oldest) theaters in London. I thought it was fun to see a play that was set in the Covent Garden area at a theater in the Covent garden area! I kept expecting to see Liza selling flowers at the flower stalls.

Stella Aug 12th, 2002 10:14 PM

"The Woman in Black" is a ghost story with lots of atmosphere. It'll make your blood curdle!<BR>BTW, just about all theatres (not just the three 1/2 price ones already mentioned) have afternoon matinees on Tues or Wed or Thurs and Sat.