Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Theater/re: "Pure Nonsense"? or what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering whether if you've already read the Jeeves/Wooster books at least a few times each you'd see all the punchlines coming? And therefore find it less amusing?

Have you seen anything lately that was fun or otherwise worthwhile?
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 10:11 AM

I've tried to like Jeeves and Wooster, no luck. Casting Mr. Darcy (Mathew McFayden) as Jeeves is interesting. Can't stand the actor playing Bertie Wooster. Just don't find the characters or situations that amusing.

I'm not as "up" on the West Ens as I used to be. If I were there now I think I'd try to see Jude Law in "Henry V".
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 10:13 AM

I've read most of them 5+ times.

Especially those from which most of the quotes come. There's absolutely no way in Pure Nonsense you can possibly predict their arrival.

For the literate (in civilised England, a good working definition of literacy is being able to recite the whole of 'Right Ho' from memory, or at least re-reading it as often as the better bits of the Authorised Version, which is the only book in English to rival The Master for style), it's precisely the emergence of a great line when you don't expect it that makes Pure Nonsense such a delight.

Pure Nonsense is helped by the ultimate author of the lines. It's the way the cast of (sort of) dozens mangle them that makes this up there with Rory Kinnear's Othello as the best play in England (ie the the world) this year.

If you can't get tickets, "One Man, Two Guvnors" might almost do. If you can, I'd be horrified. It ought to be fully sold by now.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, cath. My daughter thinks she'll try to see Henry V next month. I've liked McFayden in several films, but don't care about seeing stars. (OK, I would be willing to make an exception for Jude Law.)

Oh, good, flanner! Good that I'd pass for literate then, and good that I can safely get myself a seat for Nonsense.

We loved, loved 1 Man 2 Guv this past January, and somehow lucked into a performance with James Corden. Though I heard the next Man was equally fine.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 02:39 PM

As subtle as a flying hammer.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 02:51 PM

<i>in civilised England, a good working definition of literacy is being able to recite the whole of 'Right Ho' from memory</i>

Standards have really dropped - it used to be a good working definition of literacy is being able to translate the whole of 'Right Ho' into Latin from memory
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

I knew it was too good to be true.

And anyway I aren't quite as literary as I thought, since the play is really called "Perfect Nonsense."
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 10:59 PM

FWIW, there's one ultra-fan-cum-expert who enjoyed it:

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/201...rfect-nonsense
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 12:50 AM

...I've read most of them 5+ times...

It's a club. I remember once describing somebody as a "ten minute egg". The eyes of the person I was talking to, lit up. "Oh, you're a fan too!"
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 12:54 AM

My husband said of one of his Scottish teachers that she chewed broken glass and wore barbed wire next to her skin.
I couldn't have married anyone who didn't like the master
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 01:37 AM

<i>"a good working definition of literacy is being able to translate the whole of 'Right Ho' into Latin from memory"</i>

"Jeeve", dixi. "Licetne mihi ingenue loqui?"
"Certe, domine"

Et seq.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

OK, then, let's see "right ho" in Latin.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 06:09 AM

Eggs, beans and crumpets?
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Sounds perfect as far as I'd know.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 10:01 PM
mjs

There was a west end play titled "Jeeves " in the 1070's. Was panned by the critics and did poorly. I suspect that we all have a pre-concieved notion of the characters and any theatre that does not live up to those expectations would do poorly.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 10:30 PM

"Eggs, beans and crumpets?"

Callide.

Ova, fabae et lagana.

Incidentally, mjs ought to see Jeeves & Wooster. Mjs' criticism applies to almost all dramatisations of Wodehouse: apart from anything else, his plots are flimsy and many characters not even stereotypes.

Personally I was underwhelmed by both the Denis Price/Ian Carmichael and the Fry/Laurie TV adaptions of J&W - and probably the only person in Britain to watch more than one episode of the Jennifer Saunders/Timothy Spall Blandings. The Master wrote narrative prose - well, masterly. That just doesn't dramatise

Without spoiling things, the whole point of the latest West End treatment is that it understands this and ISN'T a dramatisation of a standard tale, though cow-creamers do feature prominently. It owes far more to "One Man, Two Guvnors" and the recent "Noises Off" than to yet another attempt to portray Wooster.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 11:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was so disappointed that I missed the opening of Perfect Nonsense - I left London the day after previews started

Would it be silly to fly over just to see it?
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 08:03 AM

>>and probably the only person in Britain to watch more than one episode of the Jennifer Saunders/Timothy Spall Blandings<<

Alas, you aren't.

Though I did actually enjoy the grotesques in the Fry/Laurie version, especially Spode (I had a great-uncle who dabbled in fascist politics, who I suspect might have been rather similar; I think he had a thing about silk underwear, for a start).
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Yes, flanner! That was exactly my reservation about the current production. It's his unexpected turns of phrase, not knotted bedsheets and ladders at the wrong bedroom window, that make Wodehouse delightful.

(I found Fry's Jeeves a little annoying, but thought Laurie was a great Bertie,)

I have snagged myself a matinee seat.
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

>>I couldn't have married anyone who didn't like the master<<

Miss Prism, if I'd held out for such a person I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a daughter to be visiting at university now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -