London - The Scala House

Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

London - The Scala House

Has anyone had any experience with "The Scala House" in London off of Tottenham Court Road? Their location seemed good - handy to the tube - and their rates seem reasonable for a two bedroom apartment in central London.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:01 PM

I am also interested in this location.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:49 PM

There are MANY threads on here mentioning Scala House. As you say the location is fine and the rates are decent for 2 bdrm flats. I haven't stayed there (I prefer to pay less and stay in the Pimlico/Victoria area) but do know the property.

The flats are quite simply decorated/furnished but have all the basics one needs. The owners and staff provide very good service. Don't expect luxury - but you will probably enjoy the location being walking distance to the British Museum and Oxford Street
Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:05 PM

yes, I'm sure i've posted about this before. Its been some years since I stayed there, but it was very pleasant and I would do it again. Definitely not luxurious. And the bedrooms were pretty small. But the staff was very courteous, and the location was great. there were lots of good restaurants within a block or two.

We were travelling with 3 adults (myself, my husband and my mother), and it was just perfect. also, they rented for shorter than 1 week, which was very hard to find.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
mjs

Do a search.
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:54 PM

I was there in November. Not luxurious (as others have mentioned) but excellent value, clean, great location (literally a stone's throw from Goodge Street tube stop, short walk to British Museum, Oxford Street shopping, Soho), wonderful staff, kitchen, plus washer/dryer, and 1 1/2 baths. The second bedrooms are teeny, though, as you can see from the schematics on their web site. Master bedroom is a good size, with a lot of closet space. Full kitchen is what was the best though. There is a Tesco and an M&S just blocks away so you can keep snacks or full meals at the ready.
Feb 25th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Results of searches of prior posts on Scala House reveal some people complaining about the cheap uncomfortable bedding (mattresses). One person said the mattress was worse than the one on his daughter’s bed at home.

Budzilla, since you were just there can you give us an update?
Feb 25th, 2006, 10:58 AM

jimcolorado, Budzilla did share a rather extensive description of the Scala House a couple of months ago here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34707249

I'm in complete agreement with everything he/she says. I'm a big fan of the place.

The negative comments more than likely came from someone who has already posted on this thread suggesting the OP do a search. I'm sure his/her experience was exactly as described. It is however, quite the minority experience.

This is my take from a post a couple of weeks ago:

I've been a guest at the Scala House three times in the past two years.

It's in a great location. Spitting distance from Goodge St tube and easy walking distance to 3 other stations. West End theaters, Oxford St shopping, British Museum, British Library all w/in easy walking distance. Two groceries w/in a block, two more nearby. Charlotte St (half block away) is filled with really good and moderately priced restaurants, thai, tapas, indian, italian. There's a pub on the corner and a fish/chips shop across the street. Multiple coffee shops.

The apartments themselves are clean, quiet and quite spacious by London standards. The decor is definitely dated and the towels are a bit thin for me. I bring my own. Bath and a half is a real plus. The kitchen is well appointed and outfitted nicely to do meals and/or snacks. We stock the fridge for breakfast and with wine/snacks.

I think the service sets this place apart. The Palos family and staff are warm and very helpful people. This place does A LOT of repeat business (10% discount for returning guests)

Feb 27th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

My thanks to all of you for your detailed responses to my query. The vast majority of the comments I've read are positive. As long as the accomodations are clean, quiet, and roomy for the price, I can deal with a lack of luxury and a decor from the 70's.
Thanks again!
Feb 27th, 2006, 05:23 PM
mjs

I suspect that each unit of the Scala house is different which might account for the fact that some people like this place. Perhaps I am getting used to better lodgings but the Scala house reminds me of the slum like places I have rented as a student. Remember these nice people who own the Scala will not refund your money if you find that you do not like your lodgings.