Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London: "The Biggest Musical Event in London in Over a Decade" (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-the-biggest-musical-event-in-london-in-over-a-decade-308384/)

PalenQ Feb 20th, 2008 11:17 AM

London: "The Biggest Musical Event in London in Over a Decade"

Listening to the BBC morning breakfast last week they had a story on Daniel Barenboim, the famous conductor and classical pianist i guess, and his several London concerts at the Royal Festival Hall during the first few weeks of February.

And the Beep host said something to the effect that "this is the biggest (most important) musical event in London in over a decade"

I have no doubt that doing the complete cycle of Beethoven's Sonatas Cycle in seven different performances may well be a prodigious feat.

But the biggest musical event in London for a decade?

What about the Ded Zeppelin concert recently at the O2? several hundreds of thousand ticket requests poured in for that iconic heavy metal groups' reunion London concert.

Or other rock concerts that attracted more fans and interest than Barenboim's cocnerts.

Q- Why do august institutions like BBC automatically think that in music it's classical music that is the most IMPORTANT?

Cultural elitism to me as is funding often from the public trough for music - classical seems something to encourage but not a dime for grunge or rap, etc.

nevcharlie Feb 20th, 2008 01:58 PM

"Cultural elitism to me as is funding often from the public trough for music - classical seems something to encourage but not a dime for grunge or rap, etc"

And quite right too.

flanneruk Feb 20th, 2008 10:27 PM

If all the sollipsistic claims by hobbyists that their stunt is the biggest x in London for a century were laid end to end they'd stretch to the next galaxy but three.

And they'd certainly not be limited to classical music, or any other civilised hobbies.

From obscure ethnic pseudo-sports where the flown-in cheerleaders outnumber the audience to the ninety third "positively last ever" concert by some long brain-dead American singer, hardly a day passes in London without some booster claiming London's not seen the like since - well, yesterday.

I'd knock that chip off your shoulder PalQ.

Josser Feb 21st, 2008 01:22 AM

Why do august institutions like BBC automatically think that in music it's classical music that is the most IMPORTANT?

Possibly because it's unlikely that people will be listening to the Dead Doodas or the Snotty Throttlers in 200 years time.

Cholmondley_Warner Feb 21st, 2008 03:04 AM

Well if it wasn't for taxpayer's money no one would be listening to Herbert von Thunderpants conducting the Slough Philharmonic playing Ignatias Millequetoast's Concerto for Sackbut and Tuba in D minor (the saddest of keys).

caroline_edinburgh Feb 21st, 2008 03:31 AM

I hardly imagine the Barenboim concerts need taxpayers' support.

Cholmondley_Warner Feb 21st, 2008 04:12 AM

Barenboim is the only person in the whole wide world who holds both an Israeli and Palestinian passport.

CHOLMONDLEYTRUFACT!

caroline_edinburgh Feb 21st, 2008 04:17 AM

Indeed - he is a top bloke.

PatrickLondon Feb 21st, 2008 04:37 AM

>>Cultural elitism to me as is funding often from the public trough for music - classical seems something to encourage but not a dime for grunge or rap, etc.<<

If you didn't have elitism you would never have any standards to aim for. Entertainment music has the money standard, and for the most part is forgotten within a year or two. But classical music is just that: it lasts. It stands reinterpretation year after year, and there is always something new to hear in it. It's better because it's better.

PatrickLondon Feb 21st, 2008 04:38 AM

And actually, there <i>is</i> &quot;a dime for grunge, rap or whatever&quot;. It's currently called Jobseeker's Allowance in this country. (That's a serious point, by the way).

MissPrism Feb 21st, 2008 06:09 AM

Ignatias Millequetoast's Concerto for Sackbut and Tuba in D minor

Where can I buy a record?
I think that my son would also appreciate the Snotty Throttlers.

flanneruk Feb 21st, 2008 06:20 AM

And it's not just grunge and rap. And it's not just the spendaholics in the Commie government we're currently cursed with.

The late, much lamented, Linda Smith claimed that when she started her career as an Alternative (read: neo-Trot) Comic at the height of Thatcherism, the entire Alternative Comedy circuit was funded by some hokey Enterprise Allowance one of Thatcher's wetter colleagues had dreamt up.

PalenQ Feb 21st, 2008 06:22 AM

Barenboim is not just a Palestinian passport holder but according to his web site he is now a Plestinian citizen. I surely applaud his efforts at bridging the Israeli-Palestinian gulf.

PalenQ Feb 21st, 2008 06:37 AM

Much like the Queen and royals like Prince Andrew - the monarchy is supposed to give Britain a return on its annual subsidies - isn't Andrew racking up huge travel expenses?

much the same perhaps investment by whatever means in alternative music, contemporary rock or whatever will, by continuing Britain's amazing export of music and musical idol give an overall positive return to Britain

Subsidies for classical music (and i think the Barenboim thing perhaps did not receive public funding) certainly do this but encourage young bands or performers may well be a goldmine for U.K.

Subsidies for young bands, etc = good investment for U.K.; much like monarchy supposedly is

caroline_edinburgh May 14th, 2008 04:44 AM

Wonderful, thoughtful piece by Barenboim - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...classicalmusic

JulieVikmanis May 14th, 2008 06:12 AM

Best thread I've read on this site in a while. Thanks. Enjoying it.