Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London: "Tate Modern Expansion Is the Cost of Success"

Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Interesting article in today's NYTimes about London's Tate Modern art museum, which when opened 10 years ago was the first new national museum built in 100 years, according to the article.

And to me the Tate Modern is one of London's don't miss sights (and especially since it is free!) - there is always something astounding it seems and the old behemoth power plant on the Thames in the heart of London is also part of the draw.

I happened to be able to tour the museum during the conversion of the old power plant into a museum - a hard hat tour and i wondered if that hulking space could ever be transformed into a nice art museum - and it far exceeded my expectations.

And the Tate Modern, close to many famous sights like St Paul's Cathedral (just across a recently built twisting pedestrian bridge over the Thames) and Shakespeare's Globe and is set on the South Bank Walk - one of London's most pleasant and popular strolling venues.

IMO put the Tate Modern high on your list of must dos if going to London for the first time (or 2nd or 62nd!)

Tate Modern Expands, Despite Economy - NYTimes.com
Sep 6, 2010 ... Tate Modern Expansion Is the Cost of Success. By CAROL VOGEL ... The construction site for the expansion of the Tate Modern in London. ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/ar...gn/07tate.html

Tate Modern's expansion is the cost of success - Taipei Times ...
Sep 8, 2010 ... Tate Modern's expansion is the cost of success. The London museum has overcrowded galleries and needs more space — even though it barely has ...
taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2010/09/08/2003482355
Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:41 AM

I agree and I'm looking forward to the Gauguin exhibition in Nov (not free unless you're a member).

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/gauguin/
Sep 22nd, 2010, 09:18 AM

I used to work, on occasion, with the largest single contributor to the Tate Modern Sir Edwin Manton better known as Jimmy. He was a kindly gentleman and no matter how you addressed him he asked to be called Jimmy. Until he was almost 90 he would walk every morning from his apartment in Greenwich Village to the office about 2 miles. And if he knew someone was going to London, he would ask that you bring in his bespoken shoes for new soles. And just when you thought he was dozing off, he would ask a pointed question.

There is a plaque dedciated to him in the entrance to the museum.
Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM

Both Serota and the author of the quoted article ignore the fact that the Saatchi Gallery (now free) is probably a far more comprehensive and exhilarating collection of really modern art than the Tate.(http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/saa...lery_index.htm)

It's a pretty nice building too.
Sep 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Well i had never heard of the Saatchi Gallery but since looking at the site flanneruk gives it is high on my list and it is free to boot.

thanks for mentioning that to a clueless Yank
Sep 22nd, 2010, 11:25 AM

flanner, have you ever tried the cafe at the Saatchi Gallery?
I need somewhere to meet a friend for lunch on a weekday and the online menu/ photos look good.
We usually meet at the V&A but I'm ready for a change.

We would obviously enjoy the art too...