Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London--St. Giles Hotel in West End, Comments?

Old Nov 2nd, 1997, 05:35 AM
Rsherman

Hi folks. My partner and I will be traveling from Boston to London over Christmas, staying in the Saint Giles Hotel in the West End on Bedford St. (near Tottenham Ct. Tube)--as part of our BA travel pkg. The hotel seems fine from the literature but I would appreciate any comments, insights, or scary stories as we still have a chance to change if need be. Thanks so much. --RS

Old Nov 2nd, 1997, 07:35 PM
MACKAY

I too would be interested in any info you get on this hotel. Please email me upon your return. My husband and I have booked in (also through BA) in March. I remember stopping at it last time through London on the shuttle bus to pick people up and it looked nice. I also have received a brochure from the hotel. The only thing I gather is that the rooms are small, which seems to be the norm. We have relatives who live in the UK and are familiar with London who have told me it is in an ideal location. We stayed at the President last time, which wasn't such an ideal location. Enjoy!

Old Nov 3rd, 1997, 03:51 AM
Kjell Brataas

I stayed there in September this year and found the hotel quite good. The rooms are really small, but as long as you don't spend on spending too much time inside, it doesn't matter. It is big, though, which means that it can sometimes be a waiting line to get into the breakfast area. But the hotel's location is superb - just one block from Oxford Street.

Old Nov 14th, 1997, 03:44 PM
Lora

I've stayed at the St. Giles two times (in 1992 & 1993) with a tour group from my community college. The rooms are VERY small: not much bigger than the bed. There is no tub; only a shower stall. I'm pretty short & the shower head was at my eye-level. I believe that the St. Giles used to be a YMCA!

Anyway, the location is terrific, so it was okay as a poor college student who spent very little time in the hotel, anyway. Hope this helps.

Old Nov 17th, 1997, 06:12 AM
Ryan

What's the price range for this hotel?

Old Nov 18th, 1997, 08:14 PM
Mackay

We are booked for March and I believe it is around $100 for 2 people.

Old Nov 20th, 1997, 05:52 AM
Knut Solem, Oslo, Norway

The location of the hotel is superb, both for theatre and shopping - and for British Museum. The rooms are quite small, but it is exellent value for money. British Airways have several similar hotels in the area, and the prices are about the same. They all have to be booked in advance (with your BA ticket).
A friend of mine has recommended the Royal National, so I will try it next time.
The waiting lines for breakfast may be long, and the same goes for the checkout in the morning.
There is a direct bus for Heathrow Airport from the hotel (must be booked in advance).