London soon-how to get to Wimbledon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been lurking around for several months learning a lot. Thanks! We will be staying at the Landmark Hotel NW1 London. On June 28 or 29, we want to go to Wimbledon and stand in line for a grounds ticket. Otherwise we will be staying in London Zone 1-2. What is the best deal to get to Wimbledon? Should we get a Visitor's All Zone travelcard for 7 days or just go on the Tube to Wimbledon on that one day or rent a taxi?

We are also planning on using Just Airports for the transfers back and forth from Heathrow. We are renting a cell phone from AT&T Wireless (we already had a SIM card from a prior trip a few years ago to Europe). It costs $41 for the week plus airtime-$1.35 per minute. The plus is that the GSM rental phone will use our local phone number.

Thanks for all the help!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Winbledon is in zone 3 - what ever you do, do not get an all zone weekly travel card.

If your hotel is in zone 2 just get a zone 1-2 weekly travel card and and pay a small supplement for the journeys into zone 3.

I know it is widely done, but I just don't get paying for rental cell phones. I usually make 10 to 15 local/international calls a week while on holiday in London and have never paid as much as £10 using a locally bought phone card - and usually onle £5.

Of course you can't receive incoming calls using a phone card - but most flats/hotels have in room phones where folks back home can contact you/leave messages.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

I really want the rental phone because my Dad is taking care of my 4 kids for the first time while we're gone and I want to always be available just in case!

Do you know how much a taxi would cost to drive from ~Regent's Park to Wimbledon?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Ataxi all the way from Regent's park to Wimbledon would cost a fortune. I'd just take the tube. Or you could take the train from waterloo.

BTW - Regents Park is in zone 1.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 12:17 AM

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about...ts/travel.html

And if you have time and need a break, a walk around Wombledon village and Wimbledon Common can be very pleasant.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:51 AM

oops, typo, and not a Freudian slip. The quickest way from Regents Park would be Bakerloo Line to Waterloo, surface suburban train to Wimbledon and then the special bus.

Southfields tube station on the District Line is nearer, and also has a special bus to the tennis, but it would be a longer journey.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:46 AM

KrisKT, I stayed at the Landmark in April for the first time. It's a great hotel. IMO, one of it's big advantages is it's directly across from the Marylebone Train Station (out the back door of the hotel) for the Bakerloo line or walk a short way to the Baker St. station for more choices. As others have said, Wimbledon the District line so you'll have to change. Here's a tube map

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colormap.pdf

Make sure you get out at the correct stop for the stadium.

I'm not a travelcard expert but I do know, as Janis says, you don't want an all zone card. That's really for people who commute on a daily basis. You're best getting a zone 1 (or 1-2 but not sure why you'd need zone 2) card & then just adding a bit extra for the times you're going outside zone 1. You might also find you do a lot of walking. I'm not sure whether you even need a 7 day card but that's up to you. There are also unlimited one day cards you can get if you're doing a lot of traveling around on one particular day. If you do get a travelcard, it may entitle you to a discount for a regular train ticket if you decide to take the suburban train that Patrick mentions.

I will mention that the hotel is built around an interior glass atrium so some of the rooms face into the atrium (I <i>think</i> the odd numbers) while others face out to the street (no fancy views though). If you'd rather have one view or the other, you might request it on check in. We got an exterior view and I was quite happy. Our family across the hall had an interior view and while pretty and different, I would not have liked it.

Our room rate did not include breakfast. Continental was GBP 19.50 &amp; full English was 24!!!! Needless to say, we did not eat at the hotel. One morning we found a great little family run coffee place across from the back of the hotel facing the train station for eggs etc.-cheap &amp; very cheerful. It was called Cafe Cappuccino or something like that. Go out the back door and turn right. It's at the far corner. Nothing fancy, but everything's cooked to order. The next morning (Sunday) our little place was closed so I went across to the Marylebone station where I had my choice of a Marks &amp; Spencer food shop, Upper Crust, a Pasties place &amp; more &amp; brought a selection of continental breakfast stuff back to the room.

Hope you have a great time.