London Soho Budget-Friendly Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2017, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a clean and decently well regarded hotel in Soho for £200/night or less for 7 nights. Based on a few review sites, Nadler Soho and Z Hotel appear to fit my criteria. I'll be there solo so the small room sizes and open concept baths won't be an issue. A few others appeared to initially fit the criteria until I got into the negative reviews and learned of uncleared rooms. (My biggest hotel turn-off, well, right up there with bugs!)

Does anyone have any personal pros/cons they are willing to share on these two? Or perhaps another recommendation? I'm trying to geographically stay between the British Museum and Westminster. Other than clean, good customer service, and good location, my only other criteria is wifi, free or not. I favor modern design over chintz but, if it's a rock-star recommendation in this price point, I can overlook the floral or animal themed wallpaper.

Thank you.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 01:38 AM

Both are good. Nadler has a tiny kitchenette in every room, I believe, which would make it my preferred choice.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 01:40 AM

By the way, when you say "between the British Museum and Westminster"... Westminster is a large area of central London.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 08:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you mean 'Westminster' like Big Ben/Parliament. Or the city of Westminster which literally covers more than half of central London.

Assuming you mean 'Big Ben Westminster' there are many neighborhoods between there and the Br Museum.

However, both of those hotels are fine. Soho wouldn't generally be my favorite neighborhood but I could happily stay in either place.

My concern is you are staying a week -- that small hotel room will start to shrink after about 2 or 3 nights. You have a generous budget -- more than enough to rent a flat that would give you oodles of space.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Janisj, by "rent a flat," do you mean via airbnb? Admittedly, I've never used it, as most of my semi-lengthy travel is either successive short trips (multi-city) or business travel booked via corporate agent. Is this a fairly standard practice in London?

And, yes, by Westminster, I mean the Parliament area. Are there other places in the West end you'd recommend? I've never been to London and this is going to be the first of many trips over the next several months as I contemplate relocating to the city. I read a number of referrals for Premiere Inns but the ones I looked at online seem quite sterile or had some fairly negative reviews. So, I was willing to go for a smaller room in a better location as I won't be in the hotel much.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 12:21 PM

If you are considering relocating to London I would not stay in soho. I would stay in areas where you may actually live once relocated. This will allow you to see what living in London is really like - commuting, amenities you may need etc.

You don't need to use airbnb. Just google short term flat rental London.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 07:08 PM

>>by "rent a flat," do you mean via airbnb?<<

Not airbnb specifically. In fact I have never used airbnb in London - there are so many other options like well known agencies, and other sources. That way you don't have to try to 'vet' a private owner.

You say you might be moving to London - will you be working there? If so, in what area of the city.

Re Premier Inns - yes they are modern but pretty basic. Some are in really good locations, but some of the best like County Hall are as expensive as 'nicer' properties.

One place you might check out is B&B Belgravia. Not apartments (well they do have a few studios but are mostly just rooms). http://www.bb-belgravia.com/index.php

Excellent location near Victoria and not far from Sloane Square, good breakfasts, wonderful service
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 01:37 AM
mjs

I also think you should rent an apartment if you will be in London for a week. Would pick a location close to where you might be working. Buying groceries and cooking etc will give you more of an idea as to how life might be for you if you move.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Janisj, I will be working in the city (proper City of London) if I do relocate. I'm well away from making a decision though so his trip is to get a small flavor for the city and see some sites before the summer tourist season begins.

Other than London Perfect, which has been highly praised in this forum, are there other reputable rental agencies I should check? LP doesn't have anything for the dates I need (well, no one bedroom places).
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 08:30 AM

No one "lives" in the City. It's pretty much dead on weekends. But you might want to look into the East End, Shoreditch. On my last trip I rented an apartment that was in a building on top of Aldgate East station. About 175/night, really nice apartment, great location and within walking distance of The City. Found it on booking.com. Especially the area surrounding Brick Lane has good supermarkets, great cafes and bars, interesting stuff going on at night and good local shopping. Much better than Soho, where it's gotten "dead", and where the shops aren't as good. I stayed in the Z Hotel there a couple of times. Nothing wrong with it. A chain I like very much (same concept: minimal rooms, well designed lounges, space to work etc) is really well executed. The rooms are comfortable and good value for money. They used to be Southbank only, but they've branched out now.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 08:48 AM

London Perfect IME/IMO is pretty pricy. There are many less expensive options. Plug your dates into booking.com - you can filter for hotel / apartment / neighborhood / etc.

Check out these. But they are VERY popular and may be booked up for your dates

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hamlet_uk/
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 09:57 AM

Janis gives good advice. We rented an apartment in London last summer through booking.com --it's a full travel site like travelocity etc.

Booking.com has a hotline if you arrive and there is a problem with your property. We actually did need to call it because the taxi took us to the wrong place, which we easily resolved. (This was at 10 pm on a Sunday.) Wherever you rent, find out what after-hours help is offered.

I bookmarked other apartment websites that I didn't use. I thought they looked legit, but do your own research.

http://booking.fgproperties.com/London-apartments.html

http://www.sacoapartments.com/

www.homeaway.com -- we used this site in Edinburgh. It is more like vrbo.com, in that it is global, older than airB&B, owner does not live in your unit.

A traveler on another site liked this particular London flat on Homeaway:
https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-re...37725161749408

Quite a few apartment rentals in London are serviced by City Relay--a professional servicing company that cleans, stocks the apartments and does any immediate repairs. That may not always be better but at least there's someone on call.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Menachem, understood. I had no illusions of living in the city but admit I am drawn more to the west side than east. But, I appreciate the advice and will check out the east. (I don't want to pull the thread toward living vs visiting though out of respect for the purpose of this forum. Indeed, this trip is 90% about tourism.)

All others, thanks for the links. I've spent the past couple of days searching and have a few options. Once I get back, I'll post a trip report.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 01:49 PM

But that's what this is for, isn't it. Such a stay gives you the opportunity to scope out different areas of London. Very sane!
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 02:49 PM

>> I am drawn more to the west side than east . . .
I don't want to pull the thread toward living vs visiting<<

It is pretty easy to kill two birds w/ one stone. Anywhere in central London will be easily accessible to most of the sites/attractions. There are as many major sites (more really) east of Westminster/Trafalgar Square as west of there. Covent Garden, most theatres, the Tower, St Pauls, Southwark/Borough Market, Tate Modern, the Globe, Greenwich etc.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 10:35 PM

i enjoy the Soho area and we have stayed there since 1980 . I go to the theatre alone so find it easy and safe walking. We know the supermarkets, street markets , restaurants and the transport options. The Nadler is in a very quiet street but also the construction for the cross rail was very near it 18 months ago.
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 12:17 AM

Realistically the east is more affordable to live. The west is lovely but depending where you are working living in the west may mean more time in transit to get affordable housing.

Just to give you an idea check out http://www.rightmove.co.uk/
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 02:32 AM

We'll be staying at Vancouver Studios in Bayswater this June, they have one bedroom apartments well within your budget. The studios are serviced daily, which is a plus IMO, in addition to having the extra space. Not quite a tourist neighbourhood, but you're close to three Tube stations and you'll be in a residential part of town.

http://vancouverstudios.co.uk/en/

Citadines also has well reviewed serviced apartments in Knightsbridge, Trafalgar Square and a couple of other locations.

http://www.citadines.com/en/find-res...?view=property
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 02:42 AM

Also, it's so different if you stay somewhere for a holiday or for work.
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 04:06 AM

It all comes down to money in The Smoke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -