London Sir John Soane's Museum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d appreciate a little advice to fine-tune my visit in a couple of weeks time.

I plan to arrive at Sir John Soane’s Museum 09:50 (on a Wednesday), allow an hour and a half for the visit, perhaps nip into the Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons for a flying look. Then go to either Mary le Strand or Temple Church for their music recital (Temple has Thomas Leech from Ripon Cathedral for the organ recital – not sure want is on Mary le Strand). Head back up to Ye Olde Mitre Tavern for a couple of pints before heading back to County Hall to pick up bags to catch the tube to the airport. My flight home leaves at 7:00pm – so I am comfortable is I get on the tube by 4:45pm.

I really want to go to Sir John Soane’s and am keen to take in a lunch time recital.

My questions are:

Does an hour and a half for John Soane’s sound about right?
Any comments on the Royal College of Surgeons?
Mary le Strand or Temple?
Other comments welcome
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
yk

<i>Does an hour and a half for John Soane’s sound about right?</i>

Yes, unless you're really into Greek/Roman artifacts. I was there no more than 1 hour.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM

&lt;Does an hour and a half for John Soane’s sound about right?&gt;

Definitely. It's not a huge place.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
90 mins should be fine - maybe a bit less. It is fascinating and weird and wonderful - but unless you are the sort to examine every artifact and read every note - I'd probably say an hour would do it.

But I do think you are cutting the journey to LHR a bit close. From Westminster it will take you nearly an hour on the tube. Then walking to whichever terminal - I don't think you could be at the desk until around 6 or so. Security can be a bear . . . . .
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj - have done the Embankment/Heathrow journey many times and two and half hours is plenty.

Any thoughts on Mary le Strand or The Tmeple Church?

Also I am now thinking of adding Dr Johnson's House (as noted in another thread) - does that seem to work? I'd nix the College of Surgeons if I did that.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 01:12 PM

No, not enough time for the Soane Museum if you want to view the Hogarth prints, which are fascinating. One of the staff will show you how to pull the prints out of their slots.

As for the recitals, going to the one at Temple will give you the opportunity to have a look at that very interesting church.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Underhill - I'll put Temple Church on the list.

This is going to be a tightly planned day but it is only a long weekend and I want to use time as wisely as possible.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM

In the will of Sir John Soane it is I believe stated that entry be denied if it is raining.Dont know if this is still adhered to.
At Royal College of surgeons look out for the skeleton of BYRNE the Irish giant sad story.He paid for his funeral to a undertaker only for Dr Hunter to pay off the same undertaker for his body.
Mary le Strand if my memory serves me well is very close to the BBC world service building.There are columns all around the building with decorative tops and bottoms save one.The story goes that the architect of the building insisted this be so as he believed only nature was perfect.I found the column many years ago at my first attempt didnt take long.The roman bath is also across the street in Strand Lane WC2.Worth a five minute look.
Temple church has nice memories for me also the nearby Fountain Court and Temple Hall mentioned in Dickens works.The Devereux Pub,nearby, in Devereux Court Essex St is a nice old pub.
Ye Olde Mitre Tavern is that the pub off Hatton Garden.Does it still have the cherry tree growing inside.
?Around the corner I like St Etheldreds Cathederal in Ely Place with its roman connections and memories of Henry eight.Can you still seek sanctuary in Ely Place?
Your visiting some nice places brougth back memories when I used to work nearby.
Regards
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Ta muchly crdtny.

That is exactly the feedback I am looking for - the pub list is growing too long. As I am also considering:
- The Old Bell on Fleet Street
- The Fullers Pub that used to be the Bank
- Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - which I think will be much nicer now with no smoking

And yes Ye Olde Mitre is the one just off Hatton Garden - it woudl mean a bit of back tracking but a good pub is worth a bit of back tracking.

Thanks for the info on the BBC - have walked past the building many times and did not know that.

Will do some research on St Ethlered's - this is starting to be the most tightly planned day I have had in London.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM

The Old Bell--had many a pint in there and had my sandwiches in the forecourt of St Brides Church which is reached from the rear exit of same pub.St Brides is my favourite of all London churches.Know as the Wedding Cake church it has a really interesting crypt with Roman and Norman paths.Coffins linked to Burke and Hare the bodysnatchers.A Breeches bible.A plague pit.Lots of interesting things.
In my opinion Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese in Wine Office Court is far more interesting than Dr Johnsons House in Gough Square(two minute walk)Used to have Xmas Office party there every year.
Have you heard of Prince Henrys room in Fleet Street connected with the Knights Templer?
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
yk

Very interested in this discussion - esp regarding Prince Henry's Room. According to my book, it's one of the very few houses which survived the fire 1666, and was used by Prince Henry, son of King James I. I should try to visit this also while looking for Temple Church (where's the actual entrance to it anyway?). Also, what's there to &quot;see&quot; in the Inner and Middle Temple?

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, wombat7, Sorry!
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM

We had the luck to hear the Temple Church organist practicing on the day we were there. Very nice.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 03:11 PM

Well, that didn't work right!

I was going to say that the Middle Temple has a hall dating back to the Elizabethan period. Here's a good link for that and the other temples:

http://www.middletemple.org.uk/Histo...mple_Hall.html
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM

yk,
The entrance to Prince Henrys room is in Fleet Street nearly opposite Chancery Lane and nearby is an arch leading to the Temple Church.I used to deliver briefs around there and would pop in and pay my respets to the knights the mosy famous who I believe was the Earl of Pembroke name of Marshall altough by the position of hiw lying you can tell he did not go to the Holy Land to fight in the Crusades.He was a jousting knight and had is own army of fans who would follow him all over England and France to cheer him on to victory in his many tournaments.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

No apologies necessary. I thought I had this day sorted until I checked back on this thread!

I have added St Ethereda's Church to the list. It seems to be spitting dista nce from Ye Olde Mitre so that fits very nicely.

I have walked around St Bride's Church but did not go in becuase there was a service in progress.

Again have walked past Prince Henry's Room many time - if memory serves there is a off licence very close - but I did not know it was open to the public (the room not the offy that is) - So that is now also on the list as well. It is just as well that these places are so close together.

Crtny - why did you find Dr J's house not that interesting?
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 03:33 PM

wombat,
Dr Johnsons house is interesting.What I meant is if I was on a tight schedule which I believe you are I would consider Ye Olde Cheshire more atmospheric with the added bonus you can leave in a far jollier state than that which you went in.
Going back to St Etheldrads what is interesting is that Henry the Eight did not sack it during the reformation because he had spent his honeymoon there with one of his wives and he must have had a right old time.You can have lunch there.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks crdtny - I should have worded the question a litte more carefully.

This tightly packed day is shaping up quite nicely. This won't be my last visit to this area so I think Dr J will win over Ye Olde because of timing - 11:30 might be a little early for a pint! Though if we have time we could fit in a quick half en route to the organ recital.

Your detailed feedback is much appreciated.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM

Wombat, really looking forward to a trip report after this!
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Yes - I agree - after this detailed info I have to repay with a trip report on the day - if not the long weekend. We arrive early am on Sunday and have Monday and Wednesday - with Tuesday taken up with work.

I wombat7, do declare I will do a Wed trip report - if not the other days as well.

Am planning fair and foul weather days for the other and will be posting to fine-tune. At moment:

Sunday: Brompton Cemetery, V&amp;A, Westminster Abbey 17:45 service, St Stephen's Tavern - early night.

Monday: Fair weather - Greenwich - tube and DLR there and boatd back. Foul wether not sure - evening an organ recital at Brompton Oratory.

Tuesday evening - National Theatre

Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 04:41 AM

If you're on a tight schedule I wouldb't botther with Brompton Cemetary - it ain't that great.

Unless you are going there for the reason that a lot of single blokes go there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -