Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   london shows (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-shows-486325/)

mileaday Nov 16th, 2004 08:08 AM

london shows

Please list what you consider to be the three must see shows in London for a Jan. quick theater trip.

taggie Nov 16th, 2004 08:30 AM

Jerry Springer The Opera if you aren't offended easily.

jessicam40 Nov 16th, 2004 10:19 AM

I have seen about 12 shows in London.

I LOVED - Blood Brothers - fantastic!!! I highly suggest seeing it...you'll laugh and cry. The score is wonderful.

I believe Complete Works of William Shakespeare, is an absolute must in London. (and now they have an American version - that will probably be quite funny!)

My friend who lives in England said Fame was fantastic. I have heard similar comments.

Hope this helps!!!!

(I hated Jerry Springer the Opera, but that is just my opinion)

egordon132 Nov 16th, 2004 10:58 AM

Are you looking for plays or musicals? Also - do you go to the theater a lot, or are you trying to see some of the classics that have been playing for a while?

halfpint Nov 16th, 2004 11:26 AM

Will be going to London next week and am wondering if the I think called Solid Gold Cadillac is on with Patricia Rutledge. Have wanted to see her in something as thoroughly enjoyed her Keeping Up Appearances on the tele. Thank you. halfpint

lincasanova Nov 16th, 2004 01:23 PM

"the producers" would be my first choice.Nathan Lane is lead now. defintely book ahead.

blood brothers.-good.
and the queen "we will rock you" gets you up off your seat.

don't know which dramas would be best.

Kayb95 Nov 16th, 2004 03:16 PM

Mamma Mia! is also very good.

JamilaZ Nov 16th, 2004 06:34 PM

Bombay Dreams was nice.

elsidster Nov 16th, 2004 11:40 PM

Two new ones which should be fantastic are Woman In White (the new one from Andrew Lloyd Weber with Michael Crawford), and a new version of Mary Poppins, put on by Cameron Mackintosh. I'm going to see them in December, I'll let you know how they are.

SaraL Nov 17th, 2004 04:39 AM

If you like the music of Queen? We will rock you is excellent

emtee Nov 17th, 2004 07:22 AM

Les Miserables - excellent, best musical.
Blood Brothers - good, funny and sad!

mdtravel Jan 2nd, 2005 05:31 PM

Does anyone have a good website with reviews of the shows? Not ads, not listings, but real life reviews?

Patrick Jan 2nd, 2005 06:14 PM

There are generally pretty extensive excerpts from the reviews for shows on www.albemarle-london.com

By the way the reviews for Mary Poppins have ranged from good to raves. Many have said it is much better than the movie.

Bree Jan 2nd, 2005 07:35 PM

The London Theatre Guide Online does their own reviews, and also provides links to the full text of many newspaper reviews. Go to http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/londo...iews/index.htm and click on the name of the show you're interested in. External links to newspaper reviews will be at the bottom of the page.

rj007 Jan 2nd, 2005 08:02 PM

Halfpint

I believe Solid Gold Cadillac is playing thru Jan 15. I saw it in Nov. Very funny play. Patricia Routledge is excellent. You will enjoy it.

whatsonstage.com provides not only reviews but lots of info on the theatre - openings,closings, seating charts,etc. Very good site.

Mamma Mia and Le Mis are both worth seeing. 2 of my favorite plays.

sunshine007 Jan 3rd, 2005 12:27 AM

I read that Nathan Lane is injured & won't be finishing his contract for The Producers. I don't think it's worth seeing without him in it. I saw it without him & was unimpressed.

mcmomx4 Jan 3rd, 2005 06:17 AM

Just back from week in London as of 1/2/05--

Nathan Lane is out of Producers due to injury

Mamma Mia is a must! Took my whole family and even the 8 yo loved it!

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is amazing if you have children

Les Mis is great--I've seen in it 3 times!