Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London show on the Discovery Channel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-show-on-the-discovery-channel-364619/)

jrchapma Oct 8th, 2003 02:33 PM

London show on the Discovery Channel

Today I saw a commercial for an upcoming show on the Discovery Channel - We Built This City. There's one on New York, another on Paris, and a third on London. I'm getting ready to go to London and thought this show might give a good background on the city, and a good visual overview. Just wanted to let others know in case you're interested.

Go to www.discovery.com to check the TV schedule. The show airs for the first time on the night of Sunday, October 12. But it also airs on future dates.

carolyn Oct 9th, 2003 11:50 AM

Thanks for posting this. I will enjoy watching.

valroweco Oct 16th, 2003 01:01 PM

I watched the "We Built this City, London" the other night and it was a great program. It's amazing how and when the Tube was built. Also, the Thames Barriers, Plaque and Fires. It's well worth watching and also the NYC and Paris one.

Jenabelle Oct 16th, 2003 01:19 PM

I've set my tivo to record all three!
Anyone going to London, I would suggest the Museum of London near the Barbican Center - an excellent background of the history of the city...

aj Oct 16th, 2003 01:20 PM

I saw "We Built This City" Paris the other night and loved it! It was full of interesting facts. The building of Pont Neuf for example.I did not know the river ran dry parts of the year in Paris. I can't wait to see the show on London.

martytravels Oct 16th, 2003 01:39 PM

The London one aired after the Paris and New York ones. They come on one after the other.

martytravels Oct 16th, 2003 01:41 PM

That shoud read "came on one after the other" for the more didactic among us.

daph Oct 16th, 2003 03:43 PM

I thought that these shows were great. Too bad that the Travel Channel/AKA-Gambling in Las Vegas doesn't live up to its name anymore!

francophile03 Oct 16th, 2003 10:03 PM

It's just a couple of minutes past 11 p.m. here on the west coast. And just changing channels and came upon the We Built This City-Paris! Great timing!!

ChatNoir Oct 17th, 2003 03:40 AM

daph, it does seem like a show on Vegas is on whenever I hit the travel channel. Have they given up on providing something interesting and/or useful on Europe?

Maira Oct 17th, 2003 03:59 AM

I have watched the whole series (London, Paris, New York City)---WOW! Very well done documentaries. Great information on Paris's city layout. The information presented on the logistics of Paris's bridges was awesome. Highly recommend it for travelers bound to any of these cities!

Tia Oct 17th, 2003 06:53 AM

I had forgotten I taped the portion on London as I was too tired to stay up! I had nearly forgotten to watch it! I am glad for the reminder! Thanks!!

Tia

jrchapma Oct 17th, 2003 07:54 AM

Caught this show (and the one on Paris) and am glad some of you saw my post and got to see it as well. Also happy to see I'm not the only one who found it fascinating!

It comes on later, so if you missed one of the segments, check the Discovery website for future air dates.