Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   london- scotland-italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-scotland-italy-1003946/)

lahjth Jan 25th, 2014 10:55 AM

london- scotland-italy

I have promised my family (wife.18 year old son, and 17 year old daughter) a trip to Europe for the last several years. Finally it looks like we are going to be able to go in June of this year. We would like to see England (daughters first choice), Scotland (Sons first Choice, and Italy for my wife and I.
My daughter wants to see a couple of plays in London and the normal day sites. In Scotland we would like to see Aberdeen, Inverness, Edzell (just for me toreminisce), Edinbugh and Glasgow. We would like to see Venice, Florence, Rome and Brindisi in Italy.
Every time I start to plan I get overwhelmed with mostly the logisitics of getting from Scotland to Italy or Brindisi back to Rome or how long to spend in an area.
We would like to spend around 14 days total but are flexible to a degree. Having a great time and not being too rushed is more important that the economics although they will need to be considered.
Any help- advice or tips on how to start would be greatly appreciated.

artsbabe Jan 25th, 2014 11:05 AM

If not being too rushed is one of your goals, you might think about doing England and Scotland but not Italy.

janisj Jan 25th, 2014 11:07 AM

sorry but 14 days just isn't long enough for all that.

In fact 14 days is semi-tight for just the Italy bits.

If you tried the whole plan you'd have between 5 and 6 days of just travel time.

Cut back to something manageable or add at least 10 days and more would be better.

nytraveler Jan 25th, 2014 11:09 AM

I'm sorry but the trip you have described will take about 4 weeks if you really want to see anything. Based on your list of 10 places plus allowing for a day between areas (that will take at least 5 or 6 days of your 1imited time) you would have less than a day in each place.

That's why you're overwhelmed with logistics - it can't be done.

Even moving quickly you have TWO 2-week trips - one to the UK and the other to Italy.

If you want to combine all 3 countries - which I don;t recommend - you would have to stick to London, 1 place n Scotland (Edinburgh?) and 1 in Italy (Rome?).

Obviously you can try to do this if you want - but your trip will be mostly airports and train stations.

lahjth Jan 25th, 2014 11:23 AM

Thanks for the advise, I now realize that it is too much for the 14 days, I guess I was hoping that I was missing something.

I will sit down with the family and narrow it down to either Italy and maybe Greece or Scotland and UK.

I really appreciate the sound advise and hope that you would be willing to help once we decide between the two trips.

janisj Jan 25th, 2014 11:31 AM

>>I will sit down with the family and narrow it down to either Italy and maybe Greece or Scotland and UK.<<

Still too much -- Greece needs about 10 days minimum just for Athens and a couple of islands. In Italy, Rome, Venice, Florence and maybe Naples/Pompeii would be a very jam packed 2 weeks

Same for the UK -- London is not a 'couple of days' sort of place - especially w/ jet lag. tow weeks would give you a nice taste of say . . . London, Edinburgh, the NE Scottish coast (Aberdeen/Dunnottar/Edzell/Glamis/maybe St Andrews) and <i>maybe one other area of Scotland and your full 2 weeks is done.

(W/ Brindisi and Edzell I assume you want to go back to places you were stationed)

RoamEurope Jan 25th, 2014 11:37 AM

10 places in 14 days doesn't work even in one country! The good news is that it would be easy to knock several of the stops off of the Scotland trip-- Glasgow and Inverness for sure would not be on my list for this trip.

If you MUST do all 3 countries...what about:
Fly into Rome- 4 days there
Train to Florence- 2 days there, including train day
Fly to London (may have to train to Pisa)- 1 day, partly in London
London- 3 more days there
Train to Edinburgh- 1 day
Edinburgh- 3 days, including a day trip via train or car to [somewhere]

lahjth Jan 25th, 2014 11:58 AM

Yes - those two places were just on my list, not sure anyone else cares. San Vito 80 - 82 and Edzell 83-85

janisj Jan 25th, 2014 01:34 PM

As you probably know there is a wonderful little castle/Garden at Edzell

Scotland is soooo wonderful in June w/ the amazingly long daylight hours, and with all the things for the kids (and you and your wife as well) in London plus the fact that airfares are generally cheaper to the UK - why not plan the UK this year and start planning for Italy in a year or two.

Michael Jan 25th, 2014 02:09 PM

You might intereted in my trip report on Scotland: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...tland-2007.cfm

I think that you should stick to the British Isles for the time you have, or skip Scotland if you want to spend some time in Italy.

lahjth Jan 26th, 2014 07:14 AM

We have decided to go to UK and Scotland this June and my wife and I will go to Italy for a few weeks in a couple of years.
Is it better to fly in and out of London or to fly into London and then fly from Aberdeen to London on the return trip?
Does anyone have suggestions on lodging or must see places?

RoamEurope Jan 26th, 2014 07:09 PM

Good choice! I would investigate flying into London and out of somewhere north to return home (a so-called "open jaw" ticket), rather than going back through London. It should be cheaper, likely going home from Glasgow or Edinburgh). Now that you have more time, you might consider an overnight in York on the train up or consider going over to the northwest of Scotland (eg Glencoe, Ben Nevis, Isle of Skye).... or stick to your original plans for Scotland!

lahjth Jan 27th, 2014 03:12 PM

Isle of Sky sounds great. How does one go about getting an open jaw ticket. I have been price shopping some using kayak. Is there a better way to get flight tickets?

janisj Jan 27th, 2014 03:30 PM

Open jaw is called 'multi city'

Use that option on Kayak/Orbitz/specific airline websites/etc

lahjth Jan 28th, 2014 07:14 AM

Thanks, that makes sense. I checked several sites last night and it looks like it will be easier and cheaper to fly in and out of London.

Good guess on the military, how did you know?

As it stands right now I am just going to book a flight in to London and a flight back home and then try to fill in the dates. Is that the best approach?

lahjth Jan 28th, 2014 07:15 AM

Is it worth the extra money to fly first class or premium economy?

Dickie_Gr Jan 28th, 2014 08:31 AM

Do you actually want to stay/ spend time on London or any of England?

Where are you flying from?

US and United both have direct flights from the US into Glasgow and Edinburgh. Heathrow can be an inhumane place particularly after a transatlantic flight.

janisj Jan 28th, 2014 08:54 AM

There is a MASSIVE difference between economy and first . . . Like $9000 or $10000 a ticket. Check out Business class and see if it fits your budget. Usually approx 1/3 or 1/2 the cost of First class.

I assume you are visiting London too so don't let Dickie_G's warning scare you off. LHR isn't so bad for arriving, but can be a hassle transiting through.

sofarsogood Jan 28th, 2014 09:01 AM

<<As it stands right now I am just going to book a flight in to London and a flight back home and then try to fill in the dates. Is that the best approach?>>

No - the most efficient approach is to fly into London and out of Edinburgh/Glasgow (or vice versa) - this saves backtracking, and once you've added in the cost of returning to London, I doubt would be much more expensive.

If you can afford to fly first class then do so.

Dickie_Gr Jan 28th, 2014 09:01 AM

"Is it worth the extra money"

If you need to ask the question, then the answer is no.

If you are not paying for the tickets or 10k is a drop in the ocean, always fly first class. If you have to justify the cost it just isn't worth it.