Reload this Page >

London, Scotland, Ireland --need help for itinerary

Notices

Old Jan 4th, 2020, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am beginning the plans for a trip in July. We have to go in summer because my husband is a teacher, so that's just what it is. We're planning two full weeks and would like a little bit of London, Scotland and Ireland. There are crazy good rates to fly into London then home from Dublin so that's the tentative plan. I've been in London and loved it, but my husband hasn't been and is excited to explore. Liverpool is a thought as we are both big Beatles lovers even though it's a haul. Then we'd like to go to Scotland, -I love the outdoors so the Isle of Skye and the Highlands are high on our list. I don't know what else to see there, but would love to spend a night or two in a castle for a splurge, then head to Ireland somehow and explore for a few days there. It sounds like a lot. And we may have to adjust or scale down. Thoughts? Please? haha I am feeling pretty overwhelmed by arranging it all and the transportation etc. and I would really appreciate any input!
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 04:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
​​​​​​​Just quick . . . Heading to the arena for an NBA game. But two full weeks will net you 11.5 days on the ground. Barely enough for London and say Edinburgh and a couple of days in a nearby rural area. But not for Skye and Liverpool and Dublin and your other wish lists. Maybe instead, London, Liverpool and a couple of days in Dublin, but you'll have less time than you may think

(if you mean 16 days / 14-ish days on the ground you could MAYBE squeeze in London, Edinburgh and Dublin
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 04:49 PM

IMO your list is too long for 2 weeks. Depending on your husband's interest in London, you could easily spend a week there. You could also spend the entire 2 weeks in Scotland. (If you don't know what to see there beyond Skye and a castle or two, do some research.) I'm not as familiar with Ireland, but I can't imagine "a few days" would be enough time to see much beyond Dublin. London, Liverpool, Republic of Ireland could probably work...
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 04:51 PM

janisj and I are on the same wavelength....
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
Just quick . . . Heading to the arena for an NBA game. But two full weeks will net you 11.5 days on the ground. Barely enough for London and say Edinburgh and a couple of days in a nearby rural area. But not for Skye and Liverpool and Dublin and your other wish lists. Maybe instead, London, Liverpool and a couple of days in Dublin, but you'll have less time than you may think

(if you mean 16 days / 14-ish days on the ground you could MAYBE squeeze in London, Edinburgh and Dublin
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
IMO your list is too long for 2 weeks. Depending on your husband's interest in London, you could easily spend a week there. You could also spend the entire 2 weeks in Scotland. (If you don't know what to see there beyond Skye and a castle or two, do some research.) I'm not as familiar with Ireland, but I can't imagine "a few days" would be enough time to see much beyond Dublin. London, Liverpool, Republic of Ireland could probably work...

Yeah. I hear you both. I am struggling with this. We could easily spend the whole time just in London, but want to do more. We will have 15 days on the ground. So a bit over 2 weeks. II would rather enjoy a couple of different areas and not be packing up and moving every couple of days, I am also more inclined to drop Ireland (there are still great fares) and go back there for a different trip. He is pushing since "we're already there" haha like it's an hour away. We could definitely drop Liverpool, --it's such a schlep for what we would do there. Maybe my question should be what's a good Scotland itinerary, and we could make some decisions starting there
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 05:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Game just about to start - but look at flying in to LHR and home from EDI or GLA. . . . Flying out of DUB might be a false economy. Still difficult to squeeze in Skye (despite what many US visitors think, Skye is not the be all and end all)
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Looking now. Thank you!