Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London - Scala House (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-scala-house-172826/)

mikeshamokin Jan 2nd, 2007 01:49 PM

London - Scala House

Has anyone recently stayed at the Scala House in London (http://www.scala-house.co.uk/index.html)?

I am traveling to London with 3 others and it seems to be a very reasonable convenient place to stay in February. I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback about its location/accomodations. Thanks

janisj Jan 2nd, 2007 01:52 PM

I haven't personally stayed there but have referred lots of folks to them and almost universally the reports back are good. Now it isn't posh for sure - but the owners are very helpful and it is a very good value for London.

I normally stay in Pimlico or once in a while S Kens, which is the main reason I haven't stayed there myself. But in Feb I'm renting 3 flats in Scala Housed for me and a group of friends.

janisj Jan 2nd, 2007 01:53 PM

meant to add - there are a couple of scala house regulars on Fodors so maybe one of them will see your thread . . . . .

Lori Jan 2nd, 2007 02:30 PM

We've stayed there 3 times and will again this Spring. It's NOT fancy, by that I mean it has basic accommodations, the furniture is functional, not frills. The kitchens are good, full size refrig., stove, a microwave, dishwasher and a washer/dryer combo (it takes forever to dry clothes in those things tho). Plenty of dishes, pots/pans, etc. if you want to cook something.

It's very convenient to Goodge Tube Stop (right around the corner) and there is a TESCO grocery across the street. Just one block over is Boots, Marks&Spencer Food Store and numerous other shops. One block the other way is Charlotte St. which is lined with restaurants.

The livingroom/dining room combo is a good size with a full size diningroom table & chairs. There is plenty of closet space, including one in the hallway. The full bath is nothing fancy, just the basics including toilet, tub/shower combo. The cloakroom is a small sink and toilet (no shower/tub in there). It's very handy to have a second toilet/sink tho with a couple of people in the apt.

The main bedroom is decent sized, again sort of K-Mart furniture. Large closet with a safe in it for your personal stuff. The bedroom can be made up with a king bed or twins. The small bedroom is small. It has a bed and desk and closet. That is all.

The higher floors have great views I might add.

Scala House has recently been sold, I am hoping management continues to run it the way the Palos family did. Chris is the Manager, you can contact him for info (tell him Lori & John in Arizona recommended the place !!).

For the price (and London is soooo expensive) we have found Scala House to be very good. We like having a full kitchen for fixing breakfast and/or another meal if we are in the mood. Keeping snacks around is so much easier with a kitchen too.

It's within walking distance of the British Museum and much of the West End. There is a large Sainsbury (grocery) at Tottenham Court Rd. too.

janisj Jan 2nd, 2007 02:50 PM

&quot;<i>Scala House has recently been sold</i>&quot; Doesn't it just figure! Now that I am finally staying there- we could get the owners from hell. Oh well?!

mikeshamokin Jan 2nd, 2007 02:53 PM

Thanks for the info. Lori, do you have an email contact for the manager. I tried the one posted on the site a few days ago, but have not had a response(is Ken still there?). I could always try calling in a few hours instead. Also, how long of a walk to Leicester Square?

janisj Jan 2nd, 2007 02:56 PM

I think the old e-mail still works. But it is pretty likely they wouldn't answer over the New years hoilday.

I'd send another e-mail and then call if that doesn't work.

Lori Jan 2nd, 2007 04:08 PM

The old e-mail still works, I've had e-mails from Chris. Maybe is has been off for a few days for the holiday. Ken &amp; his wife are no longer there, sorry to report.

I guess you could walk to Leicester Sq. - we always took the tube. Maybe 20 min. or so walk, depends on how fast you walk :-) (or how slow !!)

Janis - I hope you do not get the owners from hell :-) Just do not expect Buckingham Palace decor, please. It's a large apt. bldg. and there is a small lobby off the street which is kept locked at night (you can buzz the attendant). The elevator always worked real fast by the way. There are 4 apts. on each floor all off the landing where the elevators are. There is a trash shute for you to dispose of your daily trash too. Incidentally there are 2 larger apts. on the top floor with terraces.

We have been satisified with the price (10% off to returning guests) and the fact that the apts are roomy. If you are going to be in London for more then a few days it is so nice to have room to spread out.

janisj Jan 2nd, 2007 04:17 PM

Don't worry - I'm not expecting Buck House :)

I think the photos on the website are probably pretty accurate - and I'm REALLY used to budget London flats (about the only time I get posh is when I use priceline)

Lori Jan 3rd, 2007 04:40 AM

Janis - Please let me know how the Feb. trip goes. We will be there in April. Glad you are not expecting POSH :-) and I hope your friends are not either. We can't afford luxury flats in London, but what works for us may not for others so I always worry when I recommend something since American's standards of hotels, etc. are usually pretty high (we indulge our luxury taste in Vegas several times a year to make up for it tho!!)

Nikki Jan 3rd, 2007 05:10 AM

I stayed there with my husband and daughter in July, 2004, and it was just as Lori describes. I found the location extremely convenient; we walked to Leicester Square pretty easily and I am a slow walker. We enjoyed the pub at the corner and the souvlaki take-out across the street. There are about four coffee shops within two blocks.

I too am curious to hear how it will be under new management.

Lori Jan 3rd, 2007 05:32 AM

Nikki, I'm glad Scala House worked for you too. It will be interesting to see what new management does (or doesn't) do.

mikeshamokin Jan 3rd, 2007 06:05 AM

Sorry to say, the Scala House is fully booked during the time I requested to stay. I thank all of you for your input. If anyone knows of any other flats in that area or similar walking distance to Covent Garden/Leicester Square, I'd love to hear your ideas. It looks like I'm starting my London apartment search over.

Lori Jan 3rd, 2007 06:18 AM

Mike,
You might contact Nick Price at Price Apartments. Nick owns several apts and he and his son Warren act as rental agents for others. They have a website. We have dealt with Nick in the past and he's a very nice person.

janisj Jan 3rd, 2007 06:20 AM

I'd also suggest Price, they seem to have flats in all sorts of price ranges.

janisj Jan 3rd, 2007 06:23 AM

Just noticed your visit is in Feb -- oops, I may be one of the reasons you are locked out :)

We are taking 3 flats in Feb. When are you there? Maybe we could work out a sub let - just kidding.

escholtzia Jan 3rd, 2007 11:39 AM

Yes, call or email Nick Price-we stayed in the Grape Ave flat in 2005-I am hoping to get the owner to adopt me-comfortable and worth every penny!

mikeshamokin Jan 3rd, 2007 02:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the info. I have emailed Price Apartments for availability in that particular area. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! If it doesn't work out, what's this I read about a sublet from janisj? Just kidding. My emails are sent, and I'm still looking!

LCBoniti Jan 3rd, 2007 02:46 PM

ttt

cmcfong Feb 6th, 2007 01:14 PM

janis, are you returned from your visit to Scala House? If so, may I have your opinion of it and the new management? Thank you.