London's Kennington area

Jun 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

London's Kennington area

Could anyone please tell me if this is a fairly safe area, especially the underground station at night? I have the opportunity to rent a beautiful holiday flat for only £340 pw in Kennington. The same type of flat would probably go for £600+ on the north bank of central London.
Whatever money I can save on accommodations I can spend on shopping!
Jun 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
P_M

This is not to be the spelling police but for clarification only. Do you mean Kennington or Kennsington? (note the "s") I started to answer as if you meant Kennsington, but after doing a search I learned there is a part of London called Kennington.

I can tell you a little about Kennsington. I did not stay there, but I did do a bit of exploring and it seemed like a fine area to me. I've not heard anything negative about it, in fact I enjoyed my visit to Kennsington Palace.

I hope others can be of more assistance, especially if you are indeed looking at Kennington.
Jun 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM

No, Kensington (one n btw) and Kennington are two entirely different areas. Except to go to the Oval once I haven't been in Kennington. Wait until overnight when some of our London Fodorites are up and about and they can help you out.
Jun 6th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I do mean Kennington. The reason the flat I'm interested in is so nice but cheap is because it's located there and most tourists are probably a bit reluctant to stay in a south bank neighborhood.
Jun 6th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Yes, Kennington is safe, if by safe you mean there's not a mugger around every corner lying in wait for you-that's not really the style of that particular area of London.

You know the Imperial War Museum is located there-so if you're into visiting that, (unfortunately I was pretty much forced to go in by one who had to bribe me to do so). you'll be right there. If you see a little strip mall with shops and an Indian restaurant in it-you should go to that Indian restaurant-we thought it was so good we ate there twice.
Jun 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM

What street is the flat on? I've been to the Imp War Museum lots of times - it is on Kennington Rd - but I'd more consider that area to be Lambeth. I thought Kennington was farther south near the cricket ground.

But never mind - tell us the street and the "Bloke Brigade" can give you all the details . . . . . .
Jun 6th, 2006, 06:34 PM
amaclise

Isn't it on the Northern Line...Kennington Oval and all that? I have spent a lot of time in Balham which is nearby (?) I think many of those areas are quite up and coming as real estate values increase. I think you'll be alright especially at that price but the locals will tell you for sure.

680 bucks a week is still an awful lot to pay.

Well, if you want to be very precise, I think Kennington is in the borough of Lambeth-and the War Museum is located on Lambeth Road, which is in Kennington.

And I was being a bit facetious about the Indian restaurant (given that there's two on every corner in any part of London-so I wasn't being very precise-but it was excellent-and very close to the War Museum.
Jun 6th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

I believe this flat is on De Laune street SE17 and based on the interior photos of this place, £340 a week is a bargain. I've been to London several times before and know that Kennington isn't in the "boonies" but wasn't sure if that area was a bit rough or quiet residential.

I've also been the the IWM but didn't really explore the area surrounding it - just a walk from the underground station to the museum. I plan on returning to the IWM because it's such a great museum and will look for that Indian restaurant.

Thanks again to all for your replies!
Jun 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM

and Lysette, for the record, I totally agree with you. 340 pounds per week for a nice flat in London relatively close in IS a bargain!
Jun 7th, 2006, 03:28 AM

It's fine - it's a rather non descript residential area.

I have to go there often for work as it's where the County Court for Lambeth is, and I think it's fine.

There's a decent pub called the white bear near there - that's about it.
Jun 7th, 2006, 03:28 AM

I'm bringing this up in case any Sarf of the River posters are up by now.

That part of Kennington is a pretty standard inner London area, where pricey (and sometimes leafy) streets are cheek by jowl with rows of once public-sector maisonettes with lots of music coming out of the windows. As a Norf of the River person, I'm not intimate with the area But I've been responsible for shops in the area that had particularly nasty security problems: I've also happliy walked to and from parties late at night unharmed.

So unless a real Kennington native tells you different (and the security issues can vary widely from one side of the street to another), just assume standard fringe inner London rules apply. Don't be put off from living anywhere unless someone really knowledgeable explicitly says so. Do use public transport - including walking to and from your nearest tube. But ensure your route to and from the tube after dark is ONLY along well-lit streets, preferably as crowded as possible. Keep your common sense working full blast.
Jun 7th, 2006, 03:47 AM

Hi Lysette. I'm not sure I would recommend Kennington to a first-time visitor, but if you know your way around and have reasonable street-smarts you should be fine. You're right next to Kennington tube on De Laune St, which is on a main road, and so busy through the night. I suppose I'm saying that Kennington is the kind of place where you need to be sensible about displays of conspicuous wealth, and be fairly aware, without undue paranoia, of your surroundings. If you are reasonably sensible, all will be fine. And you really are quite close to C. London, not to mention the restaurants along the Cut, and the S. Bank.
Jun 7th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Lysette, where did you find this flat? Thanks.
Jun 7th, 2006, 05:49 PM

De Laune St. is about halfway between Oval and Kennington tube stations. Just north of there on Kennington Road is The Ship, a really nice pub I frequented when I stayed at the Day's Inn at Lambeth Road.

Here's the layout: http://tinyurl.com/fppn6
Jun 7th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

De Laune street seems very close to the underground station so I'd have a short walk to this flat if I stay there. I neglected to mention that I'm traveling solo, which is why I'm trying to get a feel for this area before making any rental commitments.

I've previously stayed in Chelsea, Pimlico, Bloomsbury, W. Kensington, Holborn & the Kings X area so I am an experienced visitor. I've heard that the Vauxhall area is a bit "dodgy" and given its proximity to Kennington, I want to avoid staying in a neighborhood where happy slapping and muggings may be a common occurence.

DCJones, I'm selfishly reluctant to reveal my source for this flat because it's so nice and inexpensive, I'm afraid others will want it for the same dates I do - but here it is: www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

Thanks again to everyone for your replies
Jun 7th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Google says it's .2 mile from Kennington station.