London's January sales

Search

London's January sales

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London's January sales

Can someone who has shopped 'til they dropped at this event tell me which shops have the best bargains in women's clothes, shoes, and accessories? I'm interested in all types of stores, not necessarily high end designer merchandise either. Are there any left over Harrod's Christmas teddy bears available for sale at this time too? Thanks for any info you can share with me.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:03 PM

Don't know about January sales but was in London last Dec 27 and this apparently was the biggest sale of all time judging by the mobs at Oxford Street department stores - it was a buying frenzy and continued all week. Not much into shopping so don't know if were real bargains.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 12:09 AM

1. There really aren't any January sales any more. Most shops start on Dec 27 (some, mostly out of town, even on Dec 26): Harrods on Dec 30. As Palenque says, shops get mobbed on Dec 27-30. More because most people are off work those days and have cabin fever through being cooped up with relatives than any real knowledge of spectacular value.
By January, the best value is certainly gone (though you can always play chicken with stores' "last days" markdowns)
2. Best stores are almost by definition unpredictable. Sales are driven a lot by stuff the store overbought during the year. Too much such stuff in one year and buyers get fired, so the sale may not be so good next year. So you need to follow the ads (tabloids, especially the Daily Mail)
3. Central London isn't very good for discounters. Easiest outlet mall by public transport (though it is 80 miles) is Bicester Village. Train goes through pretty countryside, and often really good value on Ralph Lsuren etc.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:55 AM

Actually flanner, the goods on sale in the largest department stores aren't necessarily bad-buys on behalf of the buyers. The January sales are the biggest profit periods for stores who buy in goods specifically for the sales. My father supplies clothing to Harrods who order extra stock just for the sales from him, and expect him to sell to Harrods at a discount so that the store maintains its profit margins. That's the buying power of the mighty multiples.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 06:12 AM

Kate:

For once in my life, I actually know whereof I speak, as I'm in the same business.

What's increasingly happened in the past few years is that the real mighty multiples (and Harrods, honestly, is neither) have spotted the prices suppliers offered for Sales and simply insisted on the same price year-round.

And while, with retailer logic, they've occasionally then tried to get a Sale discount as well, this has got increasingly difficult, as suppliers go out of business and the multiples deal direct with the guys in Romania or China anyway. Who really aren't that impressed with January Sales.

So what now happens is that retailers look for lower-spec products to make a price point for the Sales. But since, if an American wants cheap crap, she only has to go to her nearest WalMart any day of the year, there's not a lot of point sending her to the junk section of BhS or Debenhams to fight with a gazillion other people for a sweater, 30% dearer than it would be back home, that'll shrink or run the moment she washes it.

In fairness, Harrods is a bit of an exception to this rule, as the Sale really is an important part of its business. But they are close to unique, which is why I'd go to an outlet mall for real bargains

Incidentally, the betting in the financial press this morning is that the post-Christmas Sales will be good. With interest rates now likely to be going up, goes the theory, customers will hold back pre-Christmas spending. It's too late (I hope!!!) for retailers to cancel, so they'll be stuck with excess stock.

And the Flanneruk lead indicator of Sale quality (the slower our customers pay, the more excess stock there is) is at its highest ever.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 06:37 AM

Hello, Ive lived in London all my life so I am definitely a seasoned sale shopper. Best tip, get there as early as possible, that way you avoid the major crowds, who arrive by 11ish. Ive been to the sales at 730am just to grab that bargain.

For women's clothes and shoes "Next" store has very big price cuts but the queues can be horrendous. But if you get there very early, you can snap up a few bargains. Next does womenwear and shoes too which are reduced considerably. It is one of the most popular sale shops.

"River Island" store also a womenwear shop which sells shoes, has very good price cuts.

Marks&Spencer, also had good reductions in the womens clothes and shoes. Not sure of your age range. But Next caters for late teens early 20s/30s plus. It has a website. www.next.co.uk (You can check out the ranges)

River Island is more trendy and caters for late teens and older.

Marks&Spencer caters for customers of an older age range, though they have young stuff too.

All these stores are not high end and overly expensive.

Selfridges store in Oxford Street is more high end and I still find the clothes pricey, but you can get some good reductions. They have an area on the ground floor, with good clothes and shoe ranges.

Debenahams Store also has a good womenswear sale and sells shoes too. This is not an overly expensive store.

All these stores can be found on Oxford Street.

My tip, go as early as possible. Start at around 7 at Next store and then wander down to Marks and Spencer, Selfridges and Debenhams, yes youll be early but youll be nabbing all the bargains.

Hope this helps