Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Ryan Hotel--King's Cross--Is this a bad part of town??

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Mike

i stayed there this summer...well.. if you consider a veritable slum a good part of town... this is where you're looking to go.
The breakfast at the hotel...terrible
The 'jaunt' from the hotel to the subway..well.. carry a gun or some sort of defense.
Watch where you step..the streets are like a public toilet.
The McDonald's across from the train station is exceptional.
I would strongly recommend checking out Notting Hill area.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 06:47 PM
Mike

i forgot to mention the traffic.
The hotel primarily caters to tour groups.
so in the mornings you can expect the lobby to be jammed.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 06:12 AM
Lauren

Mike,

I will be there with a tour group. I'll only have to stay there for a night or two. Should I be worried? I'm a 19 y/o girl who is traveling alone.

Thanks, Lauren

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 01:24 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors

For Lauren. No, plenty of young single women walk beside Kings Cross statiuon. You can ask for advice on this from your hotel concierge. In fact the hotel is not at the sation, but ten minutes' walk away on the Kings CXoiss Road, a boring but respectable district. If you dislike Kings Cross (and Mike has exagerated its horrors) you could walk south to Farringdon or west to Russell Squsare.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London

Ben Haines

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 02:00 AM
Ben Haines

Ms Morris replied, and I said

Dear Ms Morris,

The area is pefectly safe by night. It doesn't look like a New England suburb, nor do the people, but that's of no importance. Yes: the area is very short of restaurats or shops. For those I'd go south west to Lamb's Conduit Street. Yes:there is traffic noise, and if you can get a room high up in the hotel or with double glazing that will be helpful.

I bet you a pound that the tour bus manages never to take you past Kings Cross Station !

Ben Haines

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 03:59 AM
david west

crikey! did a travel agent sell you this? if so you may be interested in an appropriate english phrase "you were done up like a kipper!"
I used to be a street worker, dealing with drug addicts,in the area so i can tell you the following:

Kings cross is a dodgy area notorious for drug dealing and prostitution. However this is mainly in a very limited area, the area between the main station and the thameslink station, caledonian rd and the area behind the station. The other iffy bit is the area in Argyle sq (this will all make sense when you get there). THis is full of "hotels which are really doss-houses.

the general atmosphere in the area is shabby and it's full of beggars and big issue sellers.

I don't want to scare you, but the area I have outlined is to be avoided.

Certainly dont wear falshy jewellery and cameras etc in this are.

Having said that, I worked in this area for seven years with no problems, but I am a big bloke! Just keep your wits about you and take the usual big city precautions.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 05:12 AM
Jane

Lauren,
while you should note David's advice - I feel I ought to stress that your hotel isn't directly in the areas that he mentions are dodgy. I'd recommend taking a taxi back to your hotel at night, but it's probably okay during the day time

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Lauren

Thanks to all the responses. Keep 'em coming!!

I don't know why a travel company would use this hotel frequently if it is as bad as some are describing. Perhaps it's my ignorance. As long as I can get to certain places, such as Covent Garden and the West End, safely, I suppose I will have no problems with this area. I do worry about being alone. However, I will take many precautions. Supposedly, there is another hotel across from the Ryan. It is a well-known chain hotel. Off the top of my head, I can't remember it. Some who have also been on the tour group I am traveling in have stayed at the hotel across the way. However, the area is the same. I am not sure what to do. Any reccommendations?

BTW--This is a 28-day Insight vacation tour. I will be in London for a few days only at the beginning and end of the trip. Also, this is my first trip to Europe.