Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > London restaurants 2019 - anyone with must do suggestions or familiarity with these?

London restaurants 2019 - anyone with must do suggestions or familiarity with these?

Jan 4th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

London restaurants 2019 - anyone with must do suggestions or familiarity with these?

We hopefully will be able to get through immigration lines at Heathrow and still have time to actually see London. We arrive on April 3 (from the US) so if no Brexit deal, not sure if that will make getting into England better, worse or the same. We are staying in Kensington but would love suggestions for other areas (plan to visit Kew Gardens, Hampton Court Palace, Tower of London, Churchill War Rooms, The British Museum and V&A).

Once we do get in, the food will be important. I am definitely going to get to Kappacasein for lunch one day as a toasty, cheesy sandwich always sounds wonderful.

I would like to try some Indian food but have to admit that I can't handle spicy food very well. Any ideas on restaurants to try where I won't be literally on fire half way through the meal? (Or maybe what to try that won't light me up too much....not much Indian food around me in Atlanta and I think I have only had tandoori chicken and Dal).

I have heard good things about Pollen Street Social, Ham Yard Bar and Restaurant and Anglesey Arms gastropub. Anyone have any comments or experience with these?

Pubs suggestions are definitely welcome. I definitely want to find a place for Sunday Roast...suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Jan 4th, 2019, 07:09 AM

For Indian, try the Cinnamon chain for up-market Indian fusion cuisine. My favourite is the cinnamon Kitchen near Liverpool street. If you do an early sitting or lunch you can order from very reasonable set menu.

Modern Indian Restaurant In London | Cinnamon Kitchen

Talli Joes is fun for half plates and cocktails:

Best Indian Tasting Menu London - leicester square, covent garden, piccadilly circus | Talli joe Menu

Some will recommend Brick Lane … I wouldn't touch it!
Jan 4th, 2019, 08:04 AM

Pollen Street Social is great - they have a lunch menu that's a good deal.
For Indian, Thrishna and Gymkhana are great - quite expensive though. In Kensington (this is a large area; in which area of Kensington are you?) we like Malabar. Roti Chai in Marylebone is also a favorite. Don't worry about spicy food, it is always indicated on the menu, and there are plenty of mild options.
The absolute best food we've had in London recently was at Core by Clare Smyth - Notting Hill. Again, try to go for lunch to get a better deal.
Jan 4th, 2019, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Ah, Launceston Place area...Gloucester Road is the closest Tube station.

Thanks --great start and I appreciate the suggestions and info!
Jan 4th, 2019, 08:47 AM

Time Out began life as a weekly magazine for London activities. Now it serves many cities and its on-line version has lots of info on the subjects you mentioned. https://www.timeout.com/london

"Indian" cuisine is as varied and complicated as French or Italian or Chinese. Its simplified versions are now England's national eats, especially late-night curries after the pub. You will find these restos everywhere. More elaborate offerings, complete with white tablecloths and too many servers, are also plentiful. Your hotel can make neighbourhood suggestions. So can the Nearby function of Google Maps.

Pubs are feeling the rumbles of the craft beer revival, as if going back to their roots. The specialty among the London drinking set, however, is gin in many different variations. Time Out, Google Maps, Fancy a Pint and the Campaign for Real Ale all have on-line search capability.

My favourite for Sunday roast is the Hereford Arms in Kensington near the Gloucester Road Tube stop. Vast amounts of food, and a decent selection of Fuller beer.
It is a mid-day meal, beginning at noon, and very busy. Check the website for reservation possibilities and maybe even a discount:
http://www.herefordarms.co.uk/

For both its quirky appearance and historical connections, Blackfriars is a riverside landmark. When nearby offices quit work, though, it will be elbow-to-elbow.
https://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/res...ckfriarslondon

Last edited by Southam; Jan 4th, 2019 at 08:53 AM.
Jan 4th, 2019, 09:04 AM

In Chelsea, The Surprise Pub and for more upscale dining, Elysian Street.
Jan 4th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you...great reminder for Timeout. I have been checking Thrillist but had forgotten about Timeout. We are renting an apartment and we have a rec list from the agency but it is a few years old.

I truly appreciate the responses as the suggestions and info from posters here are much more informative than a Google map search!
Jan 4th, 2019, 12:18 PM

Did you check out my recent report?
AJPeabody’s London Restaurant List
Jan 4th, 2019, 12:52 PM

We had a really good Indian dinner at Khan's of Kensington (3 Harrington Rd, Kensington). Interior is no frills, but the food was great. Tracy even hung out with the chefs. Scroll near end, and it will tell you about the food and restaurant.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...ondon-calling/

Jan 4th, 2019, 04:54 PM

Denisea,

Do a bar crawl. Start at The Ham Yard. I have stayed there a couple of times and it is fabulous. There is an outdoor bar on the 4th floor as well, weather permitting. Continue on to the Dean Street Townhouse and then to the Refuel Bar at the Soho Hotel. Backtrack a little bit and end up having dinner at Bocca di Lupo. Bocca Di Lupo - home
Jan 5th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Wow—these are all excellent!
weekender—a pub crawl sounds fun!
Jan 5th, 2019, 05:47 PM

These are always my go to places in London. All within a few minutes of each other on Soho. Where are you going to stay? You know about London Perfect?

Happy New Year to you and Chaz!
Jan 5th, 2019, 05:48 PM

https://acorn.tv/ivy I really enjoyed this documentary on the Ivy renovation. My friends went for a recent celebration and enjoyed it. They love Dishoon for Indian. I am like you but would try it but would need a double dose of Prilosec.
Jan 6th, 2019, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Yes - we are staying in a London Perfect apt on Launceston Place (Kensington)!

LOL--Macross...my issue is just that not only does spicy food light up my mouth/tongue but also everything around my lips on the outside. Just too painful to enjoy the meal when it is very spicy. Even if I pick off things mike jalapenos --just the fact that they were on the food at all lights me up.
Jan 6th, 2019, 11:23 AM

DH and I loved Quilon. We were staying at St Ermin, and it's very close on foot.
http://www.quilon.co.uk
Jan 6th, 2019, 04:07 PM

Denisea,

I think I know which apartment you are in and it looks terrific. You know that you will be well taken care of for sure.

Lauceston Place restaurant is lovely as well.

The bus system in London is fantastic so make it your friend. You may find it your best option for traversing the city. Take a look at the Transport for London website at Daily Deals
Jan 6th, 2019, 04:36 PM

We ate extremely well on our trip to London in June. For Indian, we went to Dishoom in Kensington, where it was easy to find food that wasn’t too spicy.

I highly recommend Scully St. James’s, probably the best meal of our trip. But we also had great meals at Medlar in Chelsea and Merchants Tavern in Shoreditch.

Here is my trip report:

A week of Chelsea mornings: Nikki's trip to London
Jan 6th, 2019, 11:09 PM

Launceston Place - lovely area! And Launceston Place, the restaurant, was already a favorite when we lived in that area in the 90s.
There's a Partridges on Gloucester Road for groceries and nice food for at home. There's a Dishoom close just off Kensington High Street - they don't take reservations, there's often a queue.
Jan 6th, 2019, 11:22 PM

I've been to Anglesey Arms pub for both drinks and eats. It's quite popular, food is good as is the vibe. I second Hereford Arms (besides it's so pretty from outside) the sunday roast is delish. Dishoom is a good way to have Indian - there are a number around but like Nikki said no reservations. And Blackfriars pub is an old traditional pub inside with vast outside for standing drinking a pint. If it's a mild day, stand outside. As you will be close to V&A, pop over to have a coffee and cake in their gorgeous courtyard. There are lots of restaurants at South Kensingston station - a mix of chains and independents.
Jan 7th, 2019, 02:23 AM

My favorite restaurants in London- Merchants Tavern in Shoreditch (you are foodies, check out the “kitchen counter”), Black Roe in Mayfair, Corrigans Mayfair and Berner’s Tavern. You can book them all on OpenTable.

Have a drink at the Gong Bar at the ShangriLa (in the Shard).

Search this Thread