Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-restaurants-1175875/)

tuscanlifeedit Jan 3rd, 2017 01:56 PM

London Restaurants

Hi
Since the quasi-death of Chowhound's London forums, I've been on the hunt for restaurants in London.

Last May, we ate at Medlar, Opera Tavern, Palomar and The Wolseley. Every meal was memorable, with Palomar and The Wolseley, were I had a burger, standing out. We had been to Medlar and The Wolseley before, so I'm not really wanting to go back next month.

We don't want fine dining, but are thinking of a Michelin one star for lunch. Otherwise, even £100 for the two of us, no booze but sparkling water, is higher than I like to go.

I prefer to stay central, just because my health dictates some concessions to convenience, and reservations, for the same reason, are necessary.

We are staying in Fitzrovia, and there are plenty of restaurants but I'm looking for recommendations of places you really enjoy/enjoyed, anywhere central. We are going to the theatre one night and I'm also probably adding the ROH.

We like most kinds of food, but would love French since it isn't really available where we live. We get an abundance of Middle Eastern here.

If you don't like to plan restaurants or just stop when you're hungry, as many people told me on a Paris dining thread, that's OK, but it's not me.
Thanks

Odin Jan 3rd, 2017 02:08 PM

I like Brasserie Zedel, it's inexpensive and the food is very good, considering the price. Have eaten there several times.

KyraS Jan 3rd, 2017 02:59 PM

I will have to dig out my notes for our October, 2015 trip to London, but for now will tell you what I can recall off the top of my head.

On that most recent trip we didn't make it to the Wolseley (it was on my list), but we did eat at Palomar, which was amazing. I only regret not sitting at the counter, and not going back and eating more of that octopus. I did, however, receive the cookbook for Christmas, so perhaps I'll have a go at some of their recipes.

I, too, have trouble finding London restaurants since Chowhound has gone moribund, so I feel your pain.

My go-to website for general restaurant information is Hot Dinners. There are a few food blogs I use, such as London Eater and the London Foodie, but food blogs are also not what they used to be, so I get a lot of my info from Hot Dinners. They are good about posting news on new restaurants, chefs moving, et cetera.

I get a surprising amount of information from the website of Londonist. This is not as in depth as I'd like it to be, and a lot of the website is dedicated to other topics, but it's generally amusing.

I love Indian food in London. I can get pretty good Indian food where I live, but what you can get in London is a whole other animal. Here is an article about regional Indian food in London: http://londonist.com/2016/08/where-t...food-in-london

We had a very, very good, and excellent value, set lunch at the Cinnamon Club. The food was good, the service excellent, the cocktails interesting, and the atmosphere pleasant. I can recommend that for a reasonably priced lunch.

The place I am most excited to return to, however, is Gymkhana. We walked in one day for lunch, while in the neighborhood, but I'd book if possible. This reads more causal than Cinnamon Club, but the food was AMAZING and the service impeccable. I had a dosa that made me rethink every other dosa I've ever eaten. Don't miss the toilets.

I'd also have a look at the menus of Trishna, Benares, and Amaya. We didn't make it to any of them, sadly.

The same people who own Gymkhana and Trishna run a Sri Lankan street food place called Hoppers. I would definitely eat there (again, not food I can get where I live).

Besides Gymkhana and Palomar, our other outstanding meals were at Barrafina and the Anchor & Hope. Barrafina, where we were lucky enough to walk in and get seats, was perfect from start to finish, and better than some of the food I ate in Barcelona. The Anchor & Hope was some of the best and freshest seafood I've had in a long time, including tiny little brown shrimp, and the most succulent scallops I've ever eaten.

For more casual Indian I like Dishoom. I keep trying to get there for breakfast, as I'm told the bacon naan is outstanding, but so far no luck. Otherwise, I love the black dal, the biryanis, the chicken and pomegranate salad, and the chai.

Oh, and not necessarily a place I would say is a destination, but if you happen to be in Covent Garden and don't want to eat at the other options and are hungry for shepherd's pie, the Ivy Market Grill lived up to the expectations. I mean, I make a pretty good shepherd's pie myself, but theirs was delicious. The atmosphere was very nice and the service was warm, professional, and impeccable. I'd return just because our server, and the bartender, were so gracious, and I liked the ambience.

We are hoping to return to the UK in 2017, beginning with a few days in London, and I haven't yet started my restaurant research, so perhaps your thread will inspire me. I will dig out my notes and see what I missed, and also see what I have on the list for French cuisine.

I can't recall if Bill Hunt is on Fodor's, or just over on Trip Advisor, but I'd eat ANYWHERE he recommends. I seem to recall that in London, he is fond of Galvin at Windows, and perhaps Petrus, but could be mistaken.

I hope you might be willing to share your restaurant list, please, and wish you very happy travel planning.

KyraS Jan 3rd, 2017 03:01 PM

Ah, I know where I would go for French cooking in London: Frenchie! It's the relatively new London outpost of the Paris restaurant. I sadly haven't been to either, yet.

janisj Jan 3rd, 2017 04:26 PM

I made a discovery in early Dec -- I knew that Atelier Joel Robuchon (in Covent Garden, next door to the Ivy) is pricey. But they do a terrific deal for pre-theatre dining. £45 for three courses. Really amazing food and even better service.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 3rd, 2017 07:19 PM

Oh, these are so good, and not much overlap from the lists I've been playing with.

KyraS, I've also been using Londonist and the blogs, but not Hot Dinners. Thanks for that.

I'm thinking we will do our upscale Indian at Gymkhana. The hours are good for us (I believe they do Saturday lunch) and I like more casual.

And I have bookmarked Frenchie but will revisit the site for prices.

janisj: I thought about Joel Robuchon today, but it may be too pricey. I just bought ballet tickets for Wolff Works, so now I have fairly big bucks invested in entertainment and don't want to splurge on food if I can help it, but AJR sounds wonderful.

I'm thinking of putting Nopi on the list but I'm not entirely sold yet.

dorkforcemom Jan 3rd, 2017 08:23 PM

Topping as my husband and I will be in London for an April visit - I appreciate these suggestions.

sundriedtopepo Jan 3rd, 2017 10:00 PM

Have to thank whoever suggested Palomar on your last London restaurant thread. We loved it! Also headed out to Harwood Arms for lunch but was not too impressed. Apparently there's new owners...

Tulips Jan 3rd, 2017 11:34 PM

If you're staying in Fitzrovia do go to Honey & Co. It's wonderful, very small and casual - book well ahead! They have a second restaurant too now, I think. It's a husband and wife team that used to be with Ottolenghi. They do occasional cookery courses too.

I love Nopi too - Honey & Co is much more casual, and food a bit more homey (if that's the correct word) but absolutely delicous.

We very much enjoyed 'Sexy Fish' recently; it's very flashy, beautifully designed, expensive - but great food. Hard to book - go for lunch. It's one of these places where you can end up spending a lot, or not - depending on your choices. Cinnamon donuts with chocolate and yuzu sauces for dessert.

Close to Fitzrovia; Berners Tavern - also a gorgeous restaurant, one of the most beautiful rooms in London.

We also love Gymkhana and Thrisna.

On Marylebone Lane: Caldesi is great for Italian food. There's also an outpost of the Ivy on the same street.

And if you decide to go to Brasserie Zedel, see what's on at the Crazy Coqs - have dinner and cabaret afterwards.

I could go on, but getting hungry now just thinking about these meals ;-)

Tulips Jan 4th, 2017 12:53 AM

I see now that you are not looking for middle eastern food, so scrap Honey & Co!

We don't really go to French restaurants in London very often, as we live in Belgium and get plenty of that at home. In London we tend to go for Middle Eastern or Asian restaurants. Or steak, at Hawksmoor.

Thanks for other suggestions on this post; Palomar is on the list for next time!

northie Jan 4th, 2017 01:52 AM

The Ledbury is our favourite and has lunch deals . It's 2 star Michelin and is in Pellegrinos top 20 restaurants in the world- an Australian chef , wonderful service .
The restaurant at the National Gallery has good food and great roof top views.

jamikins Jan 4th, 2017 09:12 AM

Our favourite restaurant in London is Marianne in Notting Hill. Ledbury is our second.

http://mariannerestaurant.com

tuscanlifeedit Jan 4th, 2017 12:19 PM

northie,The Ledbury sounds fantastic but even with a lunch "deal"it's more than we can spend.

Tulips: how about an Asian rec?

I'm going to check out Caldesi and The Ivy.

I'll take another look at Brasserie Zedel but the last I looked, the menu didn't excite me. I"ll look again.

janisj Jan 4th, 2017 01:07 PM

The Ivy is pricey (very good but pricey)

DebitNM Jan 4th, 2017 01:13 PM

making notes for our October trip to London.

Tulips Jan 4th, 2017 10:55 PM

Well, I loved the food at 'Sexy Fish'. There was a baby roast chicken, an outstanding seabass in miso, crispy duck and watermelon salad - and cinnamon donuts for dessert. And the restaurant is stunning. The kids liked the cocktails. The restaurant is under the same ownership as the Ivy; very well run.

More reasonable in price, and very good food at Kurobuta. We have been to the Marble Arch branch several times.

We also had a few wonderful meals at Sushi Samba; but that may have been the whole experience as much as the food; beautiful restaurant with views over the City. Fun place to go with a group.

ENO in Notting Hill is another place that we keep going back to. They also do a great duck/watermelon salad.

All of these have sharing plates. You can end up with a big bill depending on what you order.

For non-Asian; you've been to the Wolseley - but all the restaurants in that group are good with impeccable service. Try the Colony Grill at the Beaumont - just off Oxford Street. It looks like it has been there forever, but only opened 2 years ago.

dwdvagamundo Jan 5th, 2017 07:29 AM

bookmarking

tuscanlifeedit Jan 5th, 2017 01:49 PM

I am awed by the idea of duck and watermelon salad, and all the great recommendations.

I wonder if this salad could be on offer in February...

Tulips Jan 5th, 2017 09:48 PM

It was on the menu last week.

nini Jan 7th, 2017 09:50 AM

We read about Tom's Kitchen in NYT and tried it on last trip to London. The food was really good--best Gazpacho I have ever had. We went to the one in Chelsea but there may be another one. For a pre theater restaurant in the Piccadilly area we found Jamie Oliver to be a good choice, Hate to end up at a mediocre place just to be near the theater.