Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Restaurant: Texas Embassy and Cantina

Apr 16th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

I will be in London soon and meeting relatives from Wales. I would like to take them to Texas Embassy at Trafalger Square to give them a taste of Tex-Mex food. Has anyone been there? Was it real Tex-Mex or a poor imitation? What do the locals think of it? Thanks
Apr 16th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Hope someone answers your questions. I saw the restaurant and wondered if it was "real." I've found Mexican food generally awful in other locales (I'm in So. Calif.).
Apr 16th, 2003, 05:26 PM

As a displaced Texan for 20+ years, now in S. FL, who has tried Tex-Mex in many places across the US, it is just never as good as in Texas, and other southwest states. I hope someone says their food is great, but I would also be shocked!!
Apr 16th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

They claim to be from Texas. Even brought the BBQ over with them. www.texasembassy.com. Name came from the Republic of Texas Embassy that was in London until Texas became a state. The menue looked good.
Apr 16th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Well, it sounds like they deserve your patronage just for trying!! Bon appetit!
Apr 16th, 2003, 05:38 PM

The Texas Embassy was fun (although quite loud and busy) and it had good food and big portions, although I didn't think there was anything incredibly special about it (I wasn't impressed with the margaritas either). I don't know how it compares to the "real" tex-mex though having never visited the southern US (although I am looking forward to it one day).
Apr 16th, 2003, 05:52 PM

i was in London with my mom. We were hungry and passed Texas Embassy.
Mom said - mmm, wouldn't chile rellenos be good right about now!
I said, Mom, look around - do you see any Mexican people here in London?
Mom said - no.
We didn't go in.
Apr 16th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Well, I don't know what local Londoners think of it, but we live in Texas and ate at the Texas Embassy in the summer of 2000. Basically, I think the restaurant is a fun novelty. The food wasn't bad, but it's not genuine Tex-Mex either. Somehow, I just don't think Tex-Mex tastes quite right unless your eating at a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Texas.
Annette
Apr 16th, 2003, 06:00 PM
ira

Dear Chrisp,
When you think about it, Tex-Mex is imitation Mexican. Why would you want to have imitation Tex-Mex in London?

Go to a good Moroccan, Greek or Indian restaurant.
Apr 16th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Do you think a kid from Llandrindod Wells, Wales would really care if it was exactly like Texas. I'll take him there and settle for close enough. He said he had mexican at a Taco Bell knockoff in Hereford so I think Texas Embassy will beat anything he's had so far. Trying to get them to San Antonio but no luck yet. After all they think we have oil wells and cowboys and gunfights in the street here... Only on the south side of San Antonio do we have gunfights...LOL Ira..tex-mex is tex-mex not mexican....The idea is to give him a taste of Texas...I'll bring the jalapenos.
Apr 16th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Bootman4U

I've eaten there and agree it is loud and very popular. I'm not sure about the "imitation" part given the fact that the place isn't any more "imitation" than some of the supposed "genuine" establishments I've visited in some of Texas' comparable in size larger cities. It is a fun place to eat if you want to experience this sort of novelty and no more put-on than some of those Brit medieval "feasts" you can experience.

Apr 16th, 2003, 06:25 PM

I've eaten there and was disappointed. Very average food. The next night, I went to the Thai restaurant across the street. Now it was excellent!
Apr 16th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Living in El Paso WE HAVE THE BEST MEXICAN FOOD and we don't eat it anyplace else. Go down another couple of blocks to The Lord Moon of the Mall on Whitehall for some good pub grub and pints!
Apr 16th, 2003, 11:33 PM

Eaten there twice, last time a few years ago and it was crap, after first time OKish. I prefer Chiquito's in Leicester Square for similar style and better food.
Apr 18th, 2003, 12:41 AM

Having lived in Laredo and Del Rio on the Mexican border, in other parts of Texas and the US, and now in England, I have found that the further you get from the Rio Grande, the worse Tex-Mex food gets. I haven't been to the restaurant you mention, but I suppose it is worth a try. The worst that can happen is that you will put them off Mexican food for life.