Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London- Renaissance Chancery / Thistle C.Cross/ Thistle Tralfalgar (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-renaissance-chancery-thistle-c-cross-thistle-tralfalgar-619919/)

DOCK May 31st, 2006 05:23 PM

London- Renaissance Chancery / Thistle C.Cross/ Thistle Tralfalgar

Please help with hotel choice. Family of 4. rate for 1 quad room at Chancery is the same as 2 doubles at Charing Cross or Thistle Trafalgar. In terms of location to the usual sites ie Eye, Tower,Picadilly, Traflagar Square , which of the 3 would you recommend. Our budget is 200 euros per night including vat and breakfast. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

mcnyc May 31st, 2006 05:47 PM

I have the same dilemma, but I guess it depends on your bathroom demands and requirements for privacy. I'm assuming the kids are old enough for you to consider giving them a second room (and if they're not kids, my apologies).

If you need a little extra space and privacy, as well as an extra bathroom, then I say go for 2 rooms. If that's not high on your priority list, then I hear that the Ren. Chancery Court is a great place to stay, and I would squeeze everyone into 2 double beds.

We're staying at the Ren. Chancery Court this summer ourselves in July. It will be a tad inconvenient for us to get to the Tower, but it is close all the sights you mention.

I don't think any of the rates at the RCC include VAT (17.5%), some do include breakfast though.

Have you read the reviews of the hotels you're considering on tripadvisor.com?

tuscanlifeedit May 31st, 2006 06:00 PM

Just a thought: if you do get two rooms, it may ease your mind to ask for adjoining or side by side rooms. Myself, I'd go for the two rooms if I could afford them. Bathroom issues, you know.

PatrickLondon Jun 1st, 2006 02:25 AM

From any hotel in London you will be doing some travelling to see the main tourist attractions.

As a local I don't know the insides of these hotels, but the Thistles at Charing Cross and Trafalgar Square are right on top of transport links (Charing Cross is the hotel over Charing Cross mainline station), and by the same token not in a quiet residential area. There are cafés, pubs and restaurants, particularly along Villiers St, but it is a bustling district with plenty of people in transit. Covent Garden and theatreland are about 10 minutes walk away, and just the other side of Trafalgar Square you are in St James's Park and can walk for miles in parkland from there.

The Renaissance Chancery used to be the HQ building of the Pearl Assurance company. It's on the edge of a business district which tends to be very quiet at weekends, and the transport links aren't quite as varied as around Charing Cross. On the other hand, Covent Garden and theatreland are within about 10-15 minutes walking distance, as is the British Museum.

Intrepid1 Jun 1st, 2006 02:58 AM

The Chancery Court is located just a few steps from the Holborn Tube stop and it is a very nice place to stay and the place gets good reviews on TripAdvisor.

However, my tendency in this case would be to go for the two rooms (and their two bathrooms) and as to being close to the majority of sights/sites I suspect you'd probably want to visit I would opt for the Thistle Charing Cross.

I assume the rates you are speaking of have been cross-checked against offers on sites such as Londontown.com where the Charing Cross is often available at rates less than the Thistle website.

Have a great trip.

DOCK Jun 1st, 2006 04:55 AM

Thanks for the help. Kids are old enough to be in their own room 12 and 16. I have booked Ren. Chancery as I can cancel up to day of arrival. I will look at Londontown for CC, but hotel site has a pretty decent rate.I am off course inclined to book 2 rooms becos sharing a bathroom with a 16 year old teen is not the greatest experience.Thanks again.

SusanP Jun 1st, 2006 05:59 AM

My mother & I stayed at Thistle Trafalgar Square a few years ago and had no problem with noise, even though we left the window open. In addition to the tube connections, just about every bus line stops at one of the stops on Trafalgar Square, plus it's a short walk to Convent Garden with lots of restaurants and theatres.

Judyrem Jun 1st, 2006 06:08 AM

I loved the Thistle Charing Cross...it was sooooo very convenient and we had no issues with noise whatsoever! I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Lori Jun 1st, 2006 06:33 AM

Go with 2 rooms/2 bathrooms. 4 people in one room with one bathroom is a little to cozy even if it is a nice room in a nice hotel.

JudyC Jun 1st, 2006 06:30 PM

As previous post mentioned, Trafalgar Square area is much more convenient for
bus, sightseeing, theatres and restaurnts, I have stayed both at Thistle Charing Cross and Thistle Trafalgar Square both several times last few years, Thistle CC is much better regarding rooms(size, deco..), public areas, breakfast and locations for bus and tubes, actually it is on the top of dozens hotels I have ever stayed in London.