London recommend restaruants and sights

Sep 7th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Linda

London recommend restaruants and sights

My husband and I will be staying at the Hotel Ruben to celebrate our 25th anniversary. This is our first trip to London and would appreciate any recommendations on where to eat. Also what are your favorite sights to see. Any recommended day trips?

Sep 7th, 2001, 10:56 PM
Melissa

Congratulations, Linda! I hope your trip is wonderful.

What kind of food are you looking for, and what kind of budget? I really like Criterion, which is right on Picadilly. Kind of upscale, but good food!

I really like walking through Neal's Yard and Covent Garden, but that is because I am as shopper. I would also recommend a trip out to Bath, which is beautiful, and it takes you through Stonehenge.

Sep 8th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Jayne

Hello Linda...

Could you tell us how long you are staying for? What time of year and if you are prepared to venture outside of London for some special sites?

One web address that I recommend and so do many many others on the site is to take some tours with London Walks - They really do introduce you to the London that many tourist and locals are not aware of.. (Also, is will show you some places/itineraries that might peak your interest).

www.walks.com

Hope to hear back from you - Happy Travelling.

Sep 8th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Mavis

My husband and I will also be travelling to London next year for our 25th. Although we've been many times, there is something about the city that gets to me and I can't seem to stay away. Things we've enjoyed over the years:

Walk fr. Trafalgar Square (see National Portrait Gallery and National Gallery here) up Pall Mall, past Clarence House and Buckingham Palace and St. James's Park to:
Cabinet War Rooms
New Scotland Yard
Houses of Parliament
Big Ben
#10 Downing Street
Westminster Abbey. Other interesting places:
Courtauld Institute (for Impressionists)
British Museum (we have yet to see it all, we sort of wander around and discover new treasures)
Kensington Palace
Hyde Park
Theatre (we go as to as many evening and matinee performances as we can)
Tower of London (I would go once if you hadn't seen it, but be warned there are lots and lots of ppl)
Markets - Portobello and Camden
Check to see what's on at the Barbican
Old Bailey (can watch actual trials in progress with bewigged lawyers and judges)
Museum of Garden History
Day trips: Hampton Court, Windsor, Kew
Places to eat: Basil Street Hotel, Variety of places around Covent Garden, Nell's (pub).
Have fun.

Sep 8th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Linda

I should have given more info in my original message. Our trip to London is this October. We'll be staying for 5 nights and then we'll be off to Brussels for 2 nights, Amsterdam for 2 nights and then off to Paris for 5 nights.
We both love all kinds of food, especially Italian. We were thinking of trying the River Cafe that I have seen on a cooking show on public television.
Any recommendations on places to go to hear folk music or jazz?

Sep 8th, 2001, 06:18 PM
jayne

(I seem to be having real problems with posting long answers?)

Ohh err.. 5 days is not long in London – So, this is my pick (Arrange days as you wish) - hoping others will supply more alternatives!!

DAY ONE
Hotel Ruben (Based in SW1 Victoria Area)
*Walk to BUCKINGHAM PALACE
*Walk from Buckingham Palace down PALL MALL to Trafalgar Square (this could take about 30-45 minutes walking (it’s worth walking to take in the beautiful of the buildings and park either side)
*Go under WHITEHALL ARCH and arrive at TRAFALGAR SQUARE - you will see Nelson’s Column, fountains (with or without water).
More importantly, the NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLEY & NATIONAL GALLERY. (I’m ashamed to say that I was 35 before I went to the National Galley – I was amazed at the beautiful works of art on display – I’m not lover of art – but it is truly worth seeing the masters in real life!)
* Grab lunch in a pub nearby (we used to go the Chancers?) OR go and have lunch in the CRYPT in St Martins in the Field Church
http://www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org/
*Charing Cross Road – alley ways where you will find second hand books shops and interesting art shops

EVENING: Italian Pick (Soho Area) Topo Gigio (~5 minute walk from Piccidilly Circus)
46 Brewer Street, London, W1R 3HN
http://www.routiers.co.uk/02rec/02piccadtopogi.htm
ALTERNATIVE
Jazz Picks: (Soho – Jazz Club Area)
Pizza Express in Dean Street Pizza express – good for atmosphere – not bad pizza as well
http://www.pizzaexpress.co.uk/jazzsoho.htm
OR
Obviously there is the Ronnie Scott’s (again in Soho)
Expensive, but renowned!
http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk/ronnie_scotts/index.htm
General London Jazz Guide
http://www.jazz-in-britain.com/clubs...index.htm#top3

Sep 8th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Jayne

DAY TWO
*Travel to the CITY - Tower Station to see THE TOWER OF LONDON
This is where I would like to introduce the company LONDON WALK – I don’t walk for them, but even a local I think would recommend them – if you like exploring by yourself – so be it! But, for the price of these tours and what you get out of them – they are worth it… So, if timing is right see if there is a London Tour timed right for your visit
www.walks.com

EVENING: PUB WALK – Best one I’ve been on is the Hidden Pubs of Old England Town
&/OR
JACK THE RIPPER TOUR (it’s really popular for some reason?)

DAY THREE
*Ok, I’m suggesting take a trip out of London – Why – because the city of Bath is different and unique - it shows Britain in its Regency & Roman period with the city’s architecture and the Roman Baths… (Bath has always been a faviourite of mine). Suggest that you do take an EXPLORER DAY with London Walks – sorry to advertise - but they will hand hold you and you will see the best bits.

Sep 8th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Jayne

DAY FOUR
SHOPPING…
Take a bus from your hotel:
* Knightsbridge (Harrods & if you walk down further you can see London’s well known museums if that’s your thing)
* Grab a bus from there direct to Green Park Green Park Tube Station. (You are at the top of Piccidilly.
* Waterstones Bookstore
* Fortum & Masons (food store amazing)
* Jermyn Street & St James’ Street for everything a gentlemen wants
* Check the small alleyways where you will find pubs and wine bars for the business around the area (Ball Brothers – Cellar Wine Bar – yes – unfortunately they do smoke in England)
* The Ritz for afternoon tea – although there are other places to try which are cheaper, but just as nice (But, you have to try an afternoon tea – it’s traditional and all that!)

EVENING: Theatre – Tip - if you are around Trafalgar Square or Piccidilly (on the day) you can go to Leicester Square after 2pm and you can get cheaper tickets for a show.

DAY FIVE
REST – I think I’ve tried to give some ideas! You five days WILL be packed!!

By the way the restaurant you mentioned is in Hammersmith (~15 tube ride from you) – IMHO it is a little overrated – with any restaurant that has had the massive advertising that it has had – you will need to make reservations well in advance.

Sep 9th, 2001, 02:00 AM
anne

River Cafe was wonderful, but you do need to book well in advance. Also - Clarke's in Kensington is unique. It's a set menu for all (call for reservations,then call the beginning of the week to make sure you are OK with what's on the menu the evening of your reservation). Check the zagat's site - very complete london information. Enjoy and happy anniversary! Anne

Mar 25th, 2002, 09:10 PM
ttt

Topping for a short itinerary of London. Other I'm sure will imput.

By the way, I want a bio on Ben Haines - this guy should publish! Wonderful advice!!!

Mar 25th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Sue

My husband and I enjoyed eating at T. Conran's restaurant, Quaglino's. The Pavlova with mango sauce for dessert is out of this world! I reserved from home; also tried to reserve table at River Cafe or The Ivy (can't remember which, now) for Sunday lunch a month in advance, and it was booked.

Mar 25th, 2002, 11:00 PM
Mike

For Italian, the latest "hot" table is at Locanda Locatelli. This chap was the chef who opened Zafferano, the upmarket Italian behind Harvey Nicks that is still rated as one of the best in London. Google will get you some results. If you want a reliable source of restaurant reviews, the best English reviewer is Fay Maschler.

I have eaten at Zafferano, for lunch only, over a year ago now. I thought the prices were really pretty reasonable for food of that quality in Knightsbridge (note very convenient for shopping). I have not been to the new place, but reviews have been very good, and prices are also well within the scope of River Cafe. The only moan seems to be about speed of service - this is quite a common problem in London, IMO.

If you want to do food halls, Harvey Nicks has a very pleasant, trendy one on the fifth floor - much smaller than Harrods or Fortnums, but a good place for a coffee and a browse. The restaurant is pretty good as well, but, as Zafferano is right outside the back door ...

Any good restaurant in London can prove challenging when it comes to booking tables!

Apr 10th, 2002, 07:47 PM
food

www.zagat.com for food reviews.

www.toptable.co.uk for online bookings for selected restaurants. Try booking for lunch - usually cheaper and easier to get reservations.