London Real Estate Magazines

Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

London Real Estate Magazines

In 1999, I picked up a copy of a glossy magazine entitled "The London Magazine" while on a trip to the UK. Although it has some conventional advertising and a handful of articles (London's Private Clubs, restaurant reviews, etc.), the bulk of the magazine consists of real estate advertisements. There are pages and pages of glossy ads for properties, both for sale and for let. I have kept the magazine all these years because I occasionally enjoy perusing the properties to admire the furnishings/window treatments, etc., look at price points for 'dream' properties and to recall neighborhoods that we visited.

My question -- is this an actual magazine that is still in circulation? When I search for the magazine title, I find plenty of information for "The London Magazine" of literary note, but not the glossy real estate publication. The magazine lists its publishing house as "Premier Magazines", also not appearing on a basic search. My guess is that the company functioned in the late nineties, but has since folded.

I get my fix of London real estate listings online now, but still enjoy looking at that magazine...
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:24 AM

There are lots of "magazines" which are basically brochures for estate agents.

They are given away in appropriate sites depending on the customers they are trying to attract.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:34 AM

These things come and go, in the nature of advertising. Currently, I seem to be seeing a lot of magazines aimed at individual areas, rather than London-wide. They're trying to play on the kind of cachet for particular areas that they hope people will pay inflated prices for.

Of course, if the housing market goes the way it's currently predicted to, it may make a London-wide magazine more likely since they'll be more desperate to sell over a wider range and there'll be less money to support lots of different magazines.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:42 AM

Herre's the sort of thing I had in mind:
http://www.runwildweb.com/RWM/Magazi...naryWharf.html
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:47 AM

Also lots of London homes (in the upper price range, say £750,000 to several million) are advertised in Sunday supplements to quality broadsheet papers like Sunday Times.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:52 AM

The company concerned seems to have changed its name wheneevr there's been an r in the month, and it's now called Cedar Communications.

The magazine's still going, and is still published by Cedar on behalf of a consortium called Central London Estate Agents. You still see it popped on people's doormats in SW3.

They're probably hotter on what's laughingly called circulation control these days, which is why it doesn't get down to the seedier bits of town where C-W hangs out.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:55 AM

My dear mickey-mouser. You simply cannot move in Blackheath village for property freesheets.

My letter box is often bunged up with these things. That and leaflets from nanny and au pair agencies.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:15 AM

You've clearly not seen the London Magazine, which is to the Deptford and Thamesmead Property Pigeon as Country Life is to Metro.

Poor sods pushing it through the Belgravia letterboxes have to have Olympic weightlifting medals just to pick one up. The articles (most not about property) actually purport to be written by people who can read without their lips moving, and the average pricetags on most of the ads would pay for just about all of Greenwich, including the Dome and the Naval College.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:39 AM

So no houses in Catford in there then? Why bother printing the magazine in English - surely Russian would be more their target market.

This is LBG's next big housing project:

http://www.rma-woolwich.com/gallery.htm

Hopefully they'll build a pub as there isn't a decent one within walking distance of my office (about 5 mins from the RMA)
Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:14 AM

Well done flanner. Here it is:
http://www.cedarcom.co.uk/tlm.html

85,000 of London's most affluent households, eh? Cuts me out. Thank goodness; I get enough begging letters from local estate agents as it is - I couldn't cope with one of these as well.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Flanner, this is the publication I was referencing. It now makes sense -- I picked it up when staying with a friend who was on an expat package and had a spiffy flat in the Chelsea/South Kensington area. It is indeed a hefty tome.

Search this Thread