Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Quotes (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-quotes-280353/)

Bethany Dec 18th, 2002 02:10 PM

London Quotes

Does anyone know any famous, interesting, or moving quotes about London?

XXXX Dec 18th, 2002 02:22 PM

"When a man is tired of London than he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

Julian Smith Dec 18th, 2002 02:36 PM

Visit www.bartleby.com and search 'London' under quotations.

selena Dec 18th, 2002 02:36 PM

“I had been in London innumerable times, and yet till that day I had never noticed one of the worst things about London--the fact that it costs money even to sit down.”<BR><BR> --George Orwell, Down and Out in Paris and London<BR><BR>It was a Sunday afternoon, wet and cheerless: and a duller spectacle this earth of ours has not to show than a rainy Sunday in London.<BR><BR>-- Thomas De Quincey 1822 <BR>

Stella Hull Dec 18th, 2002 02:46 PM

&quot;Mind the gap&quot; - LU

Sheila Dec 18th, 2002 03:08 PM

The finest sight a Scotsman sees is the high road which leads to London

ron Dec 18th, 2002 07:23 PM

Go where we may, rest where we will,<BR>Eternal London haunts us still.<BR>--- Tom Moore

Meg Dec 18th, 2002 11:04 PM

The poem &quot;Upon Westminster Bridge&quot; by William Wordsworth. If you're up and about very, very, very early on a summer's morning, it's still valid.

lm Dec 19th, 2002 07:08 AM

One of my favorites - <BR>&quot;London: a nation, not a city.&quot; Benjamin Disraeli

lol Dec 19th, 2002 09:26 AM

I guess my favorite is <BR><BR>&quot;Lie back and think of England&quot;

Uncle Bob Dec 19th, 2002 09:38 AM

WHAT THE HEY? I POSTED AND SOME BLOODY EDITOR DELETED IT. HERE IT IS AGAIN.<BR><BR>bob's your uncle

dr price Dec 19th, 2002 09:41 AM

Yeah why did they? Here is what it means and nothing obscene about it all:<BR><BR>BOB'S YOUR UNCLE <BR><BR>All you have to do is one simple action and Bob's your uncle! You have attained something very easily. Just like Arthur Balfour did in 1886. <BR><BR>Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable says the nephew was A.J.Balfour and the post in question was Chief Secretary for Ireland. Since Uncle Bob had previously appointed him as <BR><BR> (1) President of the Local Government Board, and <BR> (2) Secretary for Scotland <BR><BR>this third posting lead some uncharitable souls to mutter darkly about nepotism. The uncle in question was the Prime Minister Lord Robert Marquis of Salisbury. <BR><BR>Many considered the appointment was not made on merit but because &quot;Bob was his uncle&quot;. He was the nephew of Lord Salisbury, whose Christian name was Robert, or Bob for short. <BR><BR>In fact, Mr Balfour proved a formidable politician and later became Prime minister himself<BR>

PatrickW Dec 20th, 2002 12:30 AM

Half of Dickens could be quoted here...<BR>But the 'Fog!!' paras from Bleak House chiefly come to mind (even if they are no longer true)

sylvia Dec 20th, 2002 02:10 AM

Don't forget Noel Coward's song &quot;London Pride&quot;.<BR>It sounds a bit sentimental now but it struck a chord when it was first written and it looked as though it might have been completely destroyed.