Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London questions re Pembridge Palace hotel and Tube travel

Jul 5th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Annette

My mother and I will be visiting London this fall (my 1st time to London; her 1st time to Europe). We purchased an airfare/hotel package deal through Expedia ($700 pp). The only feedback I found on the Pembridge Palace was its lack of proximity to Princes Street. Anyone familiar with this hotel?

Also, for tube travel I'm curious, would it be a good idea for us to each purchase the Carnet (10 single tix)? We'll be in London for 4 days and I'm not sure what will be most economically feasible (perhaps the 4-day London Transport Card)? FYI, we anticipate doing mostly the tourist sites, which I understand are w/in Zones 1 & 2.

Thx in advance.

Jul 5th, 2002, 11:24 AM

can anyone help this lady?

Jul 5th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Ben Haines

The hotel has a web site at http://www.pembridgepalacehotel.activehotels.com/HEN/.

I think you might buy four one-day 2-zone London travel cards, on arrival in London. These let you take all the tube trains, busses and local trains you choose, and I think will work out cheaper than the carnet.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.

Ben Haines

Jul 5th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Suzy

Ben, travel cards are good only on the day of issue, so she'll have to buy a new one each day. Whether a daily pass works out cheaper than carnets depends entirely on how often she rides, since one is pay-per-ride and the other is pay-per-day!

Annette, there have been plenty of threads here about the tube, listing and comparing prices for various passes, just do a search.

Jul 5th, 2002, 01:47 PM
janis

I am confused about the reference to Princes Street. Could it have said Prince's Mews, or Prince's Square? Your hotel is near Bayswater tube station and those two streets. But Princes street (no apostrophy) is near Westminster and nowhere near the hotel.

If the hotel looks OK to you then it is fine. It is not an area I would pick. It is not dangerous or anything. It's just that it is sort of on the border of Bayswater and Paddington. It is convenient to Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens and Paddington station but not much else. It is on the Circle line which crossess all of the other lines so there is that convenience. But you will will have to change lines one or more times to get anywhere interesting except the Tower, Westminster and St James Park.

Jul 6th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Annette

Thanks for your tips. I think I'm straight now.

(Janis, you're right it's Princes Square---my oversight).