London Q - Victorian Cemeteries?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBC Radio here last night had a nice blurb on the historic cemeteries of London - interviewing a buy from English Heritage, which is trying to preserve the at times crumbling Victorian cemeteries and their ornate old monuments, etc.

He specifically mentioned the City of London Cemetery as one that was built in Victorian days and has many monuments families put up to signify their status - he said though one whole row of such monuments had been bulldozed for a utility line and many monuments were in deteriorating conditions. He also pointed to saving the many now old trees there.
He said that this cemetery also had graves of some of the Ripper's victims and Bobby Moore, some football hero i guess. But mainly it was for wealthy families to raise gaudy monuments to themselves with thoughtful sayings inscribed.

The BBC newscaster had to add before signing off that "The City of London Cemetery, though out of the city center, is at the Dead Center of London history."

I do not even know where this cemetery is but will track it down and am asking for other cemeteries like this around the greater London area.
I went to the Old Brompton Cemetery right behind the Chelsea Football Club's stadium last Jan and loved it - esp the tilting and tipping old monuments. There were also some nice guys who came up to me and offered to guide me around.

Other cemeteries like the City of London Cemetery?

thanks
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Not just a cemetery, but <b> a Victorian cemetery with its own private railway line. </b>AND station

Google the Necropolis Railway
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Sounds like PalenQ's little piece of heaven - trains and graves
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Oh And of course Bobby Moore was the captain of England in 1966.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 07:26 AM

The City of London cemetary is in Forest Gate/Manor Park. Jolly good it is too.

It's not one of the &quot;Magnificent Seven&quot; cemeteries which are all well worth a look.

http://www.darkdestiny.co.uk/

Also if you ever find yourself in Westminster Bridge Rd - look for 118 which was the offices of the necropolis railway. Briliantly gothic and scary.

Old Oct 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM

ps Bobby Moore isn't &quot;buried&quot; in CoL cemetery - he has a plaque in the garden of remeberance.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Wow what a great site CW - i want to go to everyone - great pictures of the tilting graves
Kensal Green interestingly it says was a template for such cemeteries all over the British Empire

Flanner - thanks a bunch for that Necropolis Railway info - fascinating

Q- when i was camping on Wormwood Scrubbs years ago at Tent City and would jog along the canal towpath towards Paddington, on the other side - north side of the canal was a very ancient looking cemetery that was all overgrown - as far as i can see it is none of the great 7 CW posts (though i am not sure right now where Kensal Green is and will have to look it up - could be it?

But anyone know anything about this cemetery on the north side of the canal a mile or so west of Paddington?

Anyways thanks CW and flanner for this, to me priceless info that you so kindly provided.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 07:59 AM

I visited Highgate once in the '60s - almost by accident. Mme. and I were in the area on an unrelated mission, when she said, &quot;Isn't Marx buried there?&quot; - so we went over.

I didn't know about the vampire until this morning (maybe I should have asked sooner?)
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 08:08 AM
yk

The Necropolis Railway station isn't that far from the IWM. Perhaps I'll swing by and take a look (seems like the facade of the station is still standing).
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 08:17 AM

It's not the station (that was flattened in the war) it's the offices. Very victorian gothic.

It's by the costcutters shop - you can't really miss it (but people do)

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;But anyone know anything about this cemetery on the north side of the canal a mile or so west of Paddington?&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

That sounds like Paddington Old Cemetery which is the only graveyard I've ever seen with the good sense to have a pub at the gates.

ps kensal Green is in Kensal Rise - on the bakerloo line in NW London.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Looks like i have 7 cemeteries to visit next February - already done Brampton - wonder why City of London Cemetery is not in the great seven CW's link refers to - sounds really neat - actually 8 graveyards - got to see that pub at the entrance to old Paddington bone yard.

Cemetery and crematorium
The City of London Cemetery is unique in the national and worldwide context due to the nature and quality of its landscape, and it is exceptional in the ...
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corpo...y/cem_crem.htm
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 08:30 AM

wonder why City of London Cemetery is not in the great seven CW's link refers to&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Because City of London was built as a public amenity and mainly &quot;houses&quot; poor or middle class people whereas the &quot;Magnificent Seven&quot; were commercial enterprises (still are) and as such attracted a better quality of customer - and better tombs.

For instance there are several royal graves in Kensal Green.