Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Q? The Shard - Europe's Tallest Building

Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

BBC World report just said that Europe's tallest building is being erected in London - apparently right in the City of London i believe and not the Docklands??

At 310 metres or about 1,000 feet high it will top i guess the current highest rise, in Frankfurt.

The Beep reporter made it sound like this building's design has received unusual raves and celebrated architect Renzo ????? designed it. they just rave about its outstanding beauty and how it will add to the London skyline, not detract.

Any more info please - where exactly is this goliath? Why called the Shard - it soars like a broken piece of glass into the sky?

What's opinion among Londoners about this.

Apparently Red Ken backs it as they quoted one of his spokesman about how great it will be.

thanks
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Shard London Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaShard London Bridge also known as London Bridge Tower and the Shard of Glass is a supertall skyscraper planned for construction in London. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_Tower

Home / Shard / London BridgeLondon Bridge Tower, designed by the international architect, Renzo Piano, will be developed by Sellar Property Group: a world class design and visionary ...
www.shardlondonbridge.com
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:18 AM

It's a bit naff for it to have a nickname already. Sounds like a bit of architects PR to me.

The Gerkhin was originally Swiss Re St Mary Ax (or something along those lines - some saddo will no doubt be along in a moment to correct me!). It got its nickname whilst still in construction, courtesy of the public, not the PR machine.

Still, I'm all for innovative design if done well. (I'd like those last three words to be in italic if only I knew how to!).
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:24 AM

It's not being erected.

In theory, it's due to start being constructed in the middle of 2008. But with the current state of the markets, the financial press is awash with rumours they can't raise the money for it.

Failing to raise the cash doesn't mean it won't get built: Canary Wharf had a similar cash crisis. But the current uncertainties mean it's highly likely whatever timetable the promoters have published won't be stuck to.

Personally, I think it's just another gimmicky building - the kind of thing what Farce would call the two-bob cities put up to show how trendy they are.

But then you could say St Paul's is only a poor man's St Peter's and Westminster Abbey's no different from any other Gothic cathedral in Greater France.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:01 AM

The gherkin is usually caled the dildo in city circles.

It's proper name is 40 St Mary Axe.

I'll believe this here shard thing when it's finished.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:09 AM

My memory is that the Swiss Re bulding was always called the dildo, even while the squabble was going on about building it. But the press thought that wasn't quite suitable for family consumption, so they (especially the Evening Standard) started calling it the Erotic Gherkin in print.

And for a few years, that's what the papers always called it. Then, the initial thrill wore off (how true to life), the eroticism seemed boring and the papers just called it the gherkin.

Meanwhile all the wide boys in Corney and Barrow just kept on doing what they'd always been doing.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:21 AM

Meanwhile all the wide boys in Corney and Barrow just kept on doing what they'd always been doing.>>>>>

Cocaine.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:55 AM

I call it the Crystal Suppository (40 St Mary Axe, that is, not this new thing - ouch).
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:17 AM

We KNOW how you folks in London like to stay trendy and on the cutting edge and now that electro-stimulated sex has become so "in" perhaps lighting up that shard at night would be just the thing.